Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Consumer genetic testing and training & Supliments - a thing now?
Quote | Reply
I heard a talk the other day about a nutrition company planning to offer targeted supplements based on consumer-grade testing with Ancestry, 23 & Me, etc. Does this seem like it could be beneficial at this stage?

At elite levels, I'm sure this is going further in ways both beneficial and nefarious ( marginal gains and all that) but does the state of the art today allow Joe or Jane Triathlete to better target training & nutrition based on a a consumer grade report?

Can we pick FastTwitch and SlowTwitch members by spitting in a little tube?
Target likely vitamin / mineral needs?
Training Styles & Methods?

I'm thinking of a company like Infinit Nutrition - could they take a peek at my report and come up with my best sport mix?

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Consumer genetic testing and training & Supliments - a thing now? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's not beneficial. The evidence is just nowhere near the level necessary to make nutrition recommendations based on consumer genetic testing.
Especially given the quality of latter. Same applies to training recommendations.
Last edited by: Francois: Jan 18, 18 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: Consumer genetic testing and training & Supliments - a thing now? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm no expert but i'd say while it has potential to be beneficial, so do lots of things. genetics is only part of the picture so i'd want to be looking at the whole picture before thinking some personalised supplementation plan is actually right for me. eg existing/past nutrition, health and lifestyle etc
there are some that say blood tests will tell you what you need, others say blood doesn't properly represent mineral status and hair is better... i suspect the reality is that a combination of both, plus genetics is really required and i don't think many if any understand it well enough to really reliably get it right
Quote Reply