Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Power Meter?
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikeradar.com/...ur-down-under-51525/

I think the author may have it confused with the new Shimano power meter.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jan 9, 18 21:05
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Meter? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know there were talks of 4iii making a specialized branded power meter, i am assuming this is the product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
http://www.bikeradar.com/...ur-down-under-51525/

I think the author may have it confused with the new Shimano power meter.

The module with the Spec S on it is not a Shimano powermeter case. It is different and, to my eyes, looks very much like the 4iii case, at least on the drive side crank.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Meter? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
I know there were talks of 4iii making a specialized branded power meter, i am assuming this is the product.

If you look closely at the pictures from the new Tarmac launch a couple of months ago the bikes had the Specialized carbon crank arms with pods on the inside. The rumor was 4iii was making a power meter for specialized for those cranks. I'm not sure how this all plays into it, unless those cranks aren't ready for prime time yet for some reason and they decided to just put the cover on them w/ the S logo on the bikes since they are probably paying Bora to use 'their' powermeters.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Meter? [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the Shimano power meter is completely internal to the crankset, definitely not what's pictured in the link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like it's being made for Specialized by 4iii

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...-at-tour-down-under/

Different shape than the normal 4iii branded model...
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Meter? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
It looks like it's being made for Specialized by 4iii

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...-at-tour-down-under/

Different shape than the normal 4iii branded model...
Interestingly it looks like Team Sky have ditched Stages
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy who has one. His is two sided with Specialized FACT crank.
In a word- His Sucks!
He rides a fair amount on the trainer so he is well calibrated as to what is 175 watt, 200 watt, etc.. The Specialized 4IIII drifts all over the place. Very occasionally it is accurate, but often not.
Much like a broken clock- Still correct twice per day-
The phone calibrator doesn't help- change the calibration factor and it drifts again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pffft do we really need another powermeter?
what are they bringing to the market that isn't already there?

I saw this when I sold drugs. companies produce a me too product just to get some market share, most of the time the product isn't as good. aka protonix vs prevacid aciphex & nexium

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Meter? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
I have a buddy who has one. His is two sided with Specialized FACT crank.
In a word- His Sucks!
He rides a fair amount on the trainer so he is well calibrated as to what is 175 watt, 200 watt, etc.. The Specialized 4IIII drifts all over the place. Very occasionally it is accurate, but often not.
Much like a broken clock- Still correct twice per day-
The phone calibrator doesn't help- change the calibration factor and it drifts again.

Measuring strain on carbon crank arms is supposed to be much more difficult and inconsistent, which may explain why these are on a Shimano crank.

Ya I really don't see any decent reason for Specialized to make its own PM. It doesn't seem to offer anything that 5 other companies provide (I.e., a crank-based PM) and I can't imagine that they lose a ton of money selling other PMs. They can probably get a really good OEM deal based on the massive volume of product they move.

Now if they had something different, like bringing the Brim Bros power cleats to market, that would be different. My understanding was that the problem with the Brim pedals was inconsistent flex in the carbon sole of different shoe brands. Now if you make an entire line of shoes across disciplines, you can probably control this better than anyone else. So much more appealing than a fleet of powermeters across my different bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Meter? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 2 of the Specialized branded Quarq's.
1 on my Shiv and 1 on my Venge and both have the Specialized S-Works carbon cranks and they work jut fine.
Why are trying to reinvent the wheel again?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Meter? [Hueychief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Quarq PMs measure stress at the spider. At least the non-drive side looks like it measures crank arm stress, just like the stages stuff. No idea whether this is the issue with the Shimano crank versus the Specialized. Maybe Bora's deal with Shimano precludes them from using any SRAM components of which Quarq is a subsidiary. Who knows. None of it seems to make any sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a knock-off of the Pioneer
Quote Reply