Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

high altitude and treadmill (or running at all)
Quote | Reply
I live at ~400ft. Now I am on vacation at 6000ft and run on a hotel tm. It's not my first time here, so I experienced this many times before, but now I decided to consult ST :)
So the thing is that I struggle to maintain my half marathon tempo for 10, max 15min. For simplicity sake, I can run 14kmh in my home town for 90min, here I am close to hart attack after 15min

Am i supersensitive on altitude change or this is normal?

PS I can not run outside it's all snow and ice
Quote Reply
Re: high altitude and treadmill (or running at all) [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bojan wrote:
I live at ~400ft. Now I am on vacation at 6000ft and run on a hotel tm. It's not my first time here, so I experienced this many times before, but now I decided to consult ST :)
So the thing is that I struggle to maintain my half marathon tempo for 10, max 15min. For simplicity sake, I can run 14kmh in my home town for 90min, here I am close to hart attack after 15min

It sounds like you've only been at altitude for a few days, so that may be a sig part of it. OTOH, I've heard that everyone reacts diff to altitude. I think you would need to stay at your 6000 ft vacation spot for 2-3 weeks before you would be fully acclimated.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: high altitude and treadmill (or running at all) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, I am here my third day, and will stay for 7 more (unfortunately I can not be on holiday for 3 weeks during winter), still I can not believe how strong this 5500ft of altitude difference are :) :)
Quote Reply
Re: high altitude and treadmill (or running at all) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
bojan wrote:

It sounds like you've only been at altitude for a few days, so that may be a sig part of it. OTOH, I've heard that everyone reacts diff to altitude. I think you would need to stay at your 6000 ft vacation spot for 2-3 weeks before you would be fully acclimated.

And I think you Will never be fully acclimated. There is less oxygen up there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a vacation cabin that is about 9300 feet above sea level and I can usually run pretty well for two or three days and then I get a bit of altitude sickness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’ll be slowed down 15ish seconds per mile.

Do you really not know that altitude slows people down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with the last poster, you just go slower at altitude. That is why if you run or swim you get a handicap for the national governing bodies on your race times. The higher you go, the more the handicap. So if you are going for olympic qualifying times standards, you get to subtract whatever that handicap is from your official altitude time.

There is no adapting to the point where you run your sea level times, if you did, then those low times would then be faster. You can get better at racing and training at altitude, but you have to adjust all paces and expectations. And yes, some people do better than others, and there is nothing you can do about that except hope you are one of the lucky ones.(or have some Pharma help) Same goes for racing in heat and cold, some people are just more suited for environmental differences..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live at 5600 ft and am usually winded on our first and second snowshoe trip up at 9000+. But by our third trip I am ready to rock.

You’ll be feeling better after a few more days.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There tends to be lower humidity at high altitude so additional hydration is always a good idea. Increased iron consumption MIGHT help, but if nothing else it is a good excuse to order a big old steak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey mate -
not unusual at all. there's often a paradoxical period of supercompensation when you first arrive at altitude - so you might find that your very first day you have a good run, but after that you struggle.

in my experience the best thing for me to do at altitude was just long mileage. i did some track workouts that were OK, especially the shorter, sharper stuff. but 'tempo' or strength-type work just doesn't work for me at real altitude. my heart rate goes through the roof, i can't hold pace, everything hurts. . . and in the end it's a bad workout.

drink lots of water - it's easy to dehydrate at that height and it affects your training much more than at sea level. and maybe consider some supplements - gingko used to be popular in loading up for altitude, and some swear by iron. i used to eat blood pudding in my altitude days and had crazy hemoglobin numbers! not sure what else they're trying these days. . .

refs: lived in the rift valley in kenya for a year and ran a lot; raced the mount everest marathon.

good luck,
-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live at sea level, and when visiting the inlaws in Denver I just make sure to use my hrm and train by heart rate (even if it feels way slow pacewise).

It's also much better suited to long runs than intervals. I find that once I go into the red zone at altitude, it's much harder to come back.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hardest run of my like was in Cusco, Peru. 11,152 above sea level. At that altitude, there is only 67% of the oxygen available at sea level. It seemed way worse than that running.

At 6000ft, there is 81% of the oxygen available at sea level.
Last edited by: imsparticus: Jan 9, 18 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: high altitude and treadmill (or running at all) [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all. After 5 days I noticed that the biggest impact this altitude has on me is on tempo run, so I decided to do it all by HR. Now instead to run 4:20/4:25min/km I run 4:55 and feel the same :) :)

As far as I know, you have to be at least 3 weeks at high alt to gain some benefits, and that "superpower" at sea level should last ~20 days, am I correct?
Quote Reply