Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are aero road bikes worth it? [jcb-memphis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcb-memphis wrote:
...the aero bike descends faster and I use less energy at 28mph IN the pack.

Oddly, this is the way I noticed the difference with mine as well. I went from a 2006 TCR to a 2013 Propel and the biggest difference was in the middle of the pack having to sit way up, brake, dodge, as it seemed I was always rolling way faster than everybody around me. This happened in 2014, 2015, and now in 2016 and 2017 I notice it less, I think because everybody's bike on average is now more aero.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Are aero road bikes worth it? [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
jcb-memphis wrote:
...the aero bike descends faster and I use less energy at 28mph IN the pack.

Oddly, this is the way I noticed the difference with mine as well. I went from a 2006 TCR to a 2013 Propel and the biggest difference was in the middle of the pack having to sit way up, brake, dodge, as it seemed I was always rolling way faster than everybody around me. This happened in 2014, 2015, and now in 2016 and 2017 I notice it less, I think because everybody's bike on average is now more aero.

-Eric

thats me everyday on a non-aero bike... but I'm solid
Quote Reply
Re: Are aero road bikes worth it? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
thats me everyday on a non-aero bike... but I'm solid

Oh believe me, as a "solid" cyclist myself, everytime we go downhill I notice. It was like that but even moreso.

-E
Quote Reply
Re: Are aero road bikes worth it? [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happened me as well. PITA to be constantly braking on group rides. After a season I adjusted and don't notice it anymore.

Had zero effect on race results.

One thing about the propel (and many aero bikes) is way too many proprietary parts and lousy cable routing. Probably spent 20 hours working on it before I got the shifting acceptable. My local LBS has built up several for a regional racing team. I went to the chief mechanic for advice on cabling and his reply was "Di2".

While my Propel handles very well now, the sheer hassle with the proprietary brakes, cabling/shifting, headset (OD2 upper bearings are tiny) means that I would be reluctant to buy another aero frame again.
Quote Reply
Re: Are aero road bikes worth it? [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
This happened me as well. PITA to be constantly braking on group rides. After a season I adjusted and don't notice it anymore.

Had zero effect on race results.

One thing about the propel (and many aero bikes) is way too many proprietary parts and lousy cable routing. Probably spent 20 hours working on it before I got the shifting acceptable. My local LBS has built up several for a regional racing team. I went to the chief mechanic for advice on cabling and his reply was "Di2".

While my Propel handles very well now, the sheer hassle with the proprietary brakes, cabling/shifting, headset (OD2 upper bearings are tiny) means that I would be reluctant to buy another aero frame again.

Agree. I am lucky to have a genius mechanic for a friend who after he quit the local bike shop, still lets me pay him to work on my bikes. He's been amazing on the Propel shifting and has kept it and the braking as good as it can be.

I'm primping for the Propel Disc at the moment, I think it's fabulous. :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Are aero road bikes worth it? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Madone Disc on the way.....
I was all ready to get a new road bike right about now........but convincing myself to hold off on making that purchase until the Madone disc gets released although Trek pricing has probably priced me out.......I wish the Canyon Aeroad had more of a H2 geometry. $5,200 for the Canyon vs a comparable Madone disc/di2 which will probably be around $8k is a near impossible pill to swallow.
Quote Reply
Re: Are aero road bikes worth it? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they make the 9.0 Disc that’s a no brainer. The 9. is the best value Madone out there

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Last edited by: Sbernardi: Jan 10, 18 14:50
Quote Reply

Prev Next