Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How important is weight [Archibald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
Interesting read here: https://www.self.com/...w-good-a-runner-i-am

For myself: I am 5´10 and right now at around 171lbs, put on some weight the last months. I will get down to 160lbs, but I cannot get any lower than that or I haven´t been in the last seventeen years. Seems like I have to starve myself. I will run a Marathon this fall, maybe focusing mainly on running will get my lower.

I remember a few years i was 170. I did an outside project where I was digging and moving dirt for a few months. I could not eat enough to keep weight on and went to 160. My doc asked if i had an issue. I kust said i wad working hard outside. Bottom line if you sit most of the day well ...

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Jan 5, 18 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: How important is weight [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Archibald wrote:
Interesting read here: https://www.self.com/...w-good-a-runner-i-am

For myself: I am 5´10 and right now at around 171lbs, put on some weight the last months. I will get down to 160lbs, but I cannot get any lower than that or I haven´t been in the last seventeen years. Seems like I have to starve myself. I will run a Marathon this fall, maybe focusing mainly on running will get my lower.

I remember a few years i was 170. I did an outside project where I was digging and moving dirt for a few months. I could not eat enough to keep weight off and went to 160. My doc asked if i had an issue. I kust said i wad working hard outside. Bottom line if you sit most of the day well ...

Yeah, sitting too much. They say sitting is the new smoking. I just need get back to commuting by bike to work, train more and stop eating too much. Eating less is the hardest part of all that.
Quote Reply
Re: How important is weight [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
140 is a really good Runner’s build, probabaly gonna be a bit of a hinderance for swimming and maybe biking. But you can probabaly make up the biking difference on the run.

I couldn’t imagine being down at 140 I think I raced around 155 when I was really on top of everything, but my legs from hockey make getting that low really difficult.

Cheers, that gives me a bit more hope :) The plan is to work hard on the bike over the next year, then maybe I should try a hilly race, do my best Contador impression on the climbs and attempt to chase people down on the run...Goals for 2019!!
Quote Reply
Re: How important is weight [Archibald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
Interesting read here: https://www.self.com/...w-good-a-runner-i-am[/url]

For myself: I am 5´10 and right now at around 171lbs, put on some weight the last months. I will get down to 160lbs, but I cannot get any lower than that or I haven´t been in the last seventeen years. Seems like I have to starve myself. I will run a Marathon this fall, maybe focusing mainly on running will get my lower.[/quote]
Yes that is a good article by Allie Kieffer.

I go so far and say the provoking thing that weight is overrated. At least when you don't have a belly and excessive body fat.

Everyone has his or her optimum weight. For some it is a bit heavier as they have a stronger build, for others it is less. As long as you are around that weight (and not overweight) you can already come to 90 percent of your capacity and there is a lot of other and more lower hanging fruit. Of course, losing a bit more can give you another boost, but it comes at a cost and it can be detrimental.

A lot of guys say "Imagine what I could do with 10 pounds less!". But it is not so easy. You will lose some power. Your training quality won't be the same. Your recovery can suffer. Your drive to push really hard can go down etc.

If Chris Solinsky anonymously came to this thread back in the day he set his American 10k record everyone told him "you are a runner, you can safely lose some pounds and you will start to run faster." I don't think he could though, as the elites are usually that much in tune with their body that they feel when they perform at their best and on that level you can't give up anything.

If Ronnie Schieldknecht came to this thread everyone told him Y

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next