Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Garmin 735XT users...
Quote | Reply
I am interested in finding the correct accessory for my 735 so I can use my watch indoors for treadmill/track runs as well as cadence/distance/cal on an indoor spin bike. I see the foot pod would work for the running, but does anyone know if it will also work for an indoor bike? There are so many accessories that I'm not sure what to get. What about the HRM straps (there are 3 of those too!). I'm not jazzed about wearing a strap but if that would do the job, I would. Any advice is appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Garmin 735XT users... [Carrie2273] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No the foot pod will not work for cycling. If you want to capture speed and cadence you'll need bike speed and cadence sensor(s)

The 735 has an optical HRM. You do not need a strap.
Last edited by: jaretj: Jan 2, 18 6:32
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Garmin 735XT users... [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
No the foot pod will not work for cycling. If you want to capture speed and cadence you'll need bike speed and cadence sensor(s)

The 735 has an optical HRM. You do not need a strap*.

* The HR from optical isn't very reliable, especially for intervals.

I've had my 735 for about six months now and like it a lot. I use a footpod for running on my treadmill, and it's very accurate once calibrated. You'll need a power meter or speed/cadence sensor for bike metrics.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Garmin 735XT users... [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of the three people I know that have the 735xt, the optical HR works well for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't use a foot pod, the HR straps that come with either the tri bundle or run bundle have accelerometers in them that measure the various running metrics such as cadence (and in conjunction with your stride length calculated when you run using GPS, your speed indoors.) So using the 735xt with the proper strap will help you measure your runs indoors.

Note that the HR straps measure HR via electrical activity of your heart, whereas the optical sensor measures pulsatile blood flow at an extremity (arm). So one could consider that measuring at the heart more or less directly is getting the information closer to the source.

As for cycling measurement, the 735xt can connect to ANT+ power meters, so using your power-meter equipped bike on a dumb trainer (my go to) can measure your cycling metrics. If you don't own a power meter, you should! ;) But if not and you need an indoor trainer there are lots of cool new smart trainers with power meters integrated.

A final option that I wouldn't personally consider helpful is getting the Garmin speed/cadence sensor. That will measure (surprisingly!) your cadence and speed of your rear wheel, by measuring rotations of magnets as they pass the sensors. So that would give you a speed and distance measurement to view post workouts. But you won't know how hard you were working, just how far/fast you went.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi I use the wahoo foot pod and the bike rpm foot pod with the 735. Although it's 2 devices, I just interchange then as needed so I get running pace on the treadmill and cadence on a gym bike.
Quote Reply