Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First tri bike - feedback on form?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I got my first tri bike fit done recently, following which my fitter recommended a QR PR3 and set the bike up for me once I received it. The fit feels pretty good and I've done a few rides on it already without any issues that leap out at me.

However, I wanted to get some feedback on my form, since it's (1) my first tri bike and (2) early days in my training program, so would love to fix any issues before I turn them into bad habits.

Here's a photo that I took earlier today of me on my trainer (sorry for the lack of shirt): https://imgur.com/a/Ry1o4

If you guys have any feedback on my form or any changes I could make to improve it, I'd love to hear it. Should I hold my head up more? Is my back too hunched over (not sure how to address that)?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also took a video after making my OP, which I should have thought about initially including.

Last edited by: JonathanNYC: Jan 1, 18 19:00
Quote Reply
Re: First tri bike - feedback on form? [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see a video so I can check saddle height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cockpit seems high, bars seem close, seat might be too low. Video would be more conclusive.
Quote Reply
Re: First tri bike - feedback on form? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would like to see a video so I can check saddle height.
Great point! I just took a video and uploaded it here:

I probably should have mentioned in my OP that I have short legs (28” inseam at 5’8” height), so that probably contributed to my saddle height.
Quote Reply
Re: First tri bike - feedback on form? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Cockpit seems high, bars seem close, seat might be too low. Video would be more conclusive.
Thanks for your help. I uploaded a video above which will hopefully show my position a little better.

I think saddle height is due to my short legs. As far as the other points, would welcome any feedback, in addition to any changes to my overall form given the existing fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, everything looks much better when you are actually riding. You slid out onto the pads more which helps, seat height looks pretty good, and whether you can ride more drop or not is hard to guess. There is probably a little room left to relax, as you appear to be pulling yourself down, instead of just letting go and slouching yourself down.
Quote Reply
Re: First tri bike - feedback on form? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Actually, everything looks much better when you are actually riding. You slid out onto the pads more which helps, seat height looks pretty good, and whether you can ride more drop or not is hard to guess. There is probably a little room left to relax, as you appear to be pulling yourself down, instead of just letting go and slouching yourself down.
Great - thanks for the feedback! To clarify your last sentence, do you mean relaxing my upper body more and just letting my head drop naturally? The advice I received was to imagine that I'm trying to touch my chin to my elbow, but agreed that it currently looks and feels a little forced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe what he means is relax your shoulders. Let your shoulder blades come together in your back by just relaxing and letting your body weight push them back. This will drop your whole body a little lower, and reduce your frontal area a bit. Does that make sense?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: First tri bike - feedback on form? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I believe what he means is relax your shoulders. Let your shoulder blades come together in your back by just relaxing and letting your body weight push them back. This will drop your whole body a little lower, and reduce your frontal area a bit. Does that make sense?
Yes, it does, and that is very helpful - I'll make that change during my trainer session tomorrow morning. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relax your hands. Don't grab the aero bars. Just lay your hands together over the ends.
Quote Reply
Re: First tri bike - feedback on form? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Relax your hands. Don't grab the aero bars. Just lay your hands together over the ends.
Got it. Thanks, Jim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Got it. Thanks, Jim!

I wouldn't sweat it too much at this point, but as you grow comfortable riding this position you have some room to bring your elbows in and hands closer together. This will likely reduce aero drag for some free speed. Enjoy your new bike!
Quote Reply