Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Neck Pain - very painful
Quote | Reply
I've had a great training year with a PB at IM Copenhargen. 8 weeks ago I went to visit my grandchildren in London. Slept in a little bed with very few pillows and picked up a neck pain. Arriving home I tried to stretch it out and go swimming...not possible. Impossible to run....in the end I was sitting bolt upright on the trainer in the garage. I've seen Chiropractors, Osteopaths, my GP, I've taken more Naproxen than is healthy and spent a small fortune. Very very painful still and after 8 weeks I cannot shake it off...it seems to be affecting my ribs now too. If I work hard on the trainer I get sore ribs and connot breath deeply....please please any advice how to get rid of this awful pain....???
Quote Reply
Re: Neck Pain - very painful [c'monvatu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Localized pain? Radiating (how far - shoulder, arm hand)? Quality of the pain: achy, dull, sharp, stinging, etc? Rib pain may be more due to guarding that is happening.

Biased but, maybe try a Physiotherapist.

Quote | Reply
Rib pain is more thoracic spine than cervical (neck)....something like t4 syndrome can affect neck and ribs.

A good musculoskeletal physiotherapist is trained in treating this and prescribing excersises....like manual facet glides and retraction /rotation exercises after muscle relaxation

The cause is position related not impact related so these things can be painful but easily fixed
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Dec 23, 17 18:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello c'monvatu and All,

I had that.

Although I think I did it lifting.

Went to PT and they put me on a table with a strap under my chin and a motor pulled on the strap and stretched my neck for about 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off over a half hour or so .... I had a button to press if it started to strangle me.

When I left from first treatment I felt great for about 1/2 hour and then it started hurting again.

After about 4 sessions over a week's time I was cured.

I always wondered it it would have gone away by just doing nothing?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Neck Pain - very painful [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello c'monvatu and All,

I had that.

Went to PT and they put me on a table with a strap under my chin and a motor pulled on the strap and stretched my neck for about 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off over a half hour or so .... I had a button to press if it started to strangle me.

When I left from first treatment I felt great for about 1/2 hour and then it started hurting again.

That sounds dangerous.
I'd preferred the Inversion Table.
Quote Reply
Re: Neck Pain - very painful [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your replies: the neck pain is tender to the touch along the right side of my neck between shoulders and head with tingling down my right arm. My osteopath tried to jerk my head over (a correction he called it...) but I wasn't helping by risisting. The rib pain or intercorsals are a seperate and I think largely unconnected issue perhaps... because again an injury without any obvious impact or trauma...very confusing. Sneezing is seriously not recommended. (Or laughing or getting in and out of a car...)
I'm using a stretch band behind my head and slowly starting to move my headed up and down and side to side. I've an appointment with my osteopath on Thursday and I will try to let him correct it this time...here's hoping..!!
Quote Reply
Re: Neck Pain - very painful [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello c'monvatu and All,

I had that.

If this is the type of machine I read about when researching my issues with a bulging disc, they said stay away, too many injuries and law suits.
I ended up using a manual inversion table which seem to do the same thing as the motor ones, but without the risks.

OP, have you tried an inversion table?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Neck Pain - very painful [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi...I went to a long drawn out Christmas lunch yesterday and as the day moved into the evening I was in some physical distress with my neck and ribs. I told my wife that we need to move and get home...the host introduced me to a GP who had arrive late at the function. He took me into on of the bedrooms and asked me a few questions and gave me a brief examination. I told him about my Ironman life and the way I live and eat. He was impressed but then dropped a huge bombshell on me. He suggest I may have early onset Rhumatoid Arthritis. Sore neck, sore chest cavity, sore elbow etc...he suggested I see my GP again and look into this. I've been up almost all night studying online and while yes some of my symptoms look similar many do not... I'm not overweight, I eat a very good diet, don't drink or smoke...
My new symptom is I'm very depressed....I will try and see my GP tomorrow if they are open...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Cut all gluten from your diet. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. In three months you will likely be cured. Another thing you can take is Ginger to reduce inflammation. Doctors will just prescribe lots of expensive drugs. With no real fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Neck Pain - very painful [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks J7.....that's my kind of fix...cheersđŸ¤•
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm no Dr and you should probably get some bloods done to test for RA (inflammation etc.), my partner has it and it isn't very nice, but I'm fairly sure she didn't start with neck\upper body pain. She was never really sporty but had a decent diet, no weight problems, didn't smoke, hardly drinks etc.. One thinking is that it can be triggered by a trauma, she had a really bad Achilles injury which took a long time to heal, and more recent thinking is that it could be linked to your gut microbiome, there are increasing links with the gut and lots of diseases.

She started having problems with her hands\knuckles and then feet and other joints, the pain would last for a few days then go but move to another part of the body rather than stay constant in one place (except the Achilles, but that was before a lot of this). So until you get it confirmed I'd try and not give up hope just yet, although I appreciate it is natural to fear the worst.

I was actually wondering about a trapped nerve or something given your comment about the tingling in the arm and it being very tender to touch.

I'd also try and let the osteo do their stuff, and some massage on the back\neck muscles. I was having some really tight back\neck muscle issues early this, call it time trial neck, probably not enough stretching or strength work in that area. Might not be helped if you are slumped in front of a computer at work all day.

Hope you get it sorted.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also suggest some Curcumin (get a decent quality supplement, it works better if it has pepper or something I think I read). Also, Collagen is supposed to be good for some tendon\bone\muscle injuries.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar symptoms. It took almost a month to narrow down what happened after seeing a general doc. and a PT. An MRI showed I bulged a disc between C6 and C7 (18th February). Tingling and weak on my left arm. Bike riding was impossible, swimming was a joke. I could painfully jog/run.

20 April I had an artificial disc replacement (plastic). It was a miracle. I was "cured" the next morning. I even got my first KQ in August.

Your situation may be completely different, but, it does sound similar to what I had. FYI, I'm 55

PM me if you need to. Good luck

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Neck Pain - very painful [JeffNorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys....during the Copenhargen IM (20th Aug)my left ankle became very sore. The run course has sections of large cobbles and the weather was cold and wet. The bruising has now gone away but that ankle remains swollen compared to my right. I recently had an MRI on the ankle but have not had the results. Up to the issue with my neck I was swim and bike training on a Keto regime. I stayed at my sons place in London for 4 night early Nov and slept in one of their beds. Skinny pillows did for my neck I'm sure. Then came home and couldn't swim the morning I got back. Frustrated I went into the gym and did a big session. First session in a while. Looking at my gym pad I noticed I did more that normal military press up above shoulder...maybe that did my intercorsals...I'm just clutching at straws because I don't want RA. My inflamed elbow I've had before...it comes and goes but the ankle (trauma) neck and ribs and tingling right arm are all new...
Going in for bloods tomorrow....I need something to cheer me up ( at least I managed to duck out of the annual Boxing Day sea swim, no wet suit and not for the faint hearted) I sat in the pub and watched on....complaining about my aches and pains...
Quote Reply