Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SOS Triathlon on NBC Sports
Quote | Reply
DVR'ed it and watched last night. I thought it was great. Not up to IM Kona standards but really good. The guy with no arms is truly amazing and a real inspiration. The scenery is fantastic. If the goal was to get people interested enough to do the race then they did a great job. I'm pretty close to signing up.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon on NBC Sports [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck. 2018 sold out in 6 minutes.

It’s the best race I’ve ever done
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon on NBC Sports [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
too much running for me... needs another cycling stage instead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched it yesterday while on my treadmill. First thought I had was why don't folks just carry a large plastic bag to put their shoes in while swimming - I imagine blisters can be an issue going back and forth between swimming and running with shoes, but maybe putting them in a bag wouldn't really make any difference.

Does look like a cool race - maybe I'll give it a go one of these years.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon on NBC Sports [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

natethomas wrote:
I watched it yesterday while on my treadmill. First thought I had was why don't folks just carry a large plastic bag to put their shoes in while swimming - I imagine blisters can be an issue going back and forth between swimming and running with shoes, but maybe putting them in a bag wouldn't really make any difference.

Does look like a cool race - maybe I'll give it a go one of these years.

I raced it last year and enjoyed getting a few glimpses of my face on TV! As for dry bags, a small % did go with them but the time in and out of the water was not worth dryish shoes in my opinion. I found some shoes that worked well with no socks and went for it! Not on the schedule for 2018 but I will definitely be back!!!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon on NBC Sports [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people do carry dry bags, some put on and take off socks, etc. I went sockless with zoot ultras both times and had no blisters. Just put them between the legs like a pull buoy. I was surprised they didn’t talk about the various methods people use. Many shove the shoes into their shorts/tops
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
DVR'ed it and watched last night. I thought it was great. Not up to IM Kona standards but really good. The guy with no arms is truly amazing and a real inspiration. The scenery is fantastic. If the goal was to get people interested enough to do the race then they did a great job. I'm pretty close to signing up.

I thought the show was pretty cool, definitely better content and production values than the 'chasing kona', or whatever that show they have been doing for age groupers is called. I did SOS in 2016, highly recommend it, probably the most fun event I've done.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:

What was it called? I regularly search for triathlon, but I don't think this one turned up.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon on NBC Sports [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
RallySavage wrote:

What was it called? I regularly search for triathlon, but I don't think this one turned up.

I searched as well and found nothing. Also checked NBCSports website with the same result. Hopefully the full episode will pop-up on Youtube eventually.

I'd love to do this race in the near future... but yeah... lots of running. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this kind of event interests you I'd suggest checking out SwimRun. We just announced the IGNITE SwimRun series in the U.S. with events in Maryland, Minnesota, Rhode Island and Virginia. Hopefully one is close to you.
If not, there are others in Maine, North Carolina, Georgia and California. The sport is really taking off.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon on NBC Sports [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was hard to find unless you knew what to look for. At first it didn't show up on a search of "triathlon", it eventually popped up as SOS triathlon

As for the running, I am definitely not a runner, and it's my weakest leg (I am a swimmer though), and I loved it. It's not like you have to run all 19 miles at once :)
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon on NBC Sports [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
It’s the best race I’ve ever done

Agreed - loved my experience. And best post race food by a wide margin!
Quote Reply