Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

v02 intervals - specificity or top power?
Quote | Reply
Who rides (trainer) in the tt position for all v02 intervals? Lets say i can do 1min on/off x15 or whatever at 330 watts in the tt position but can do 350+ up on the base bar. What says the 'twitch? specificity or absolute power? (nb: all other rides done at and below threshold are done in the tt position)
Quote Reply
Re: v02 intervals - specificity or top power? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it depends on how you came about those figures.
If your test to determine “ftp” and thus zones based on it, was done sat up on the basebar, then do them like that.
If it was done in the aero position, then repeat based on there @ that target wattage.

I’m sure you’ll soon find out if you’re overreaching somewhere through your set 🤔
Quote Reply
Re: v02 intervals - specificity or top power? [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Base bar for ftp test. Ride Aero though for all intervals however will kind of do 1 and 1 on v02 or high end stuff. If I'm failing on other intervals I'll default to base bars. Outside rides always Aero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do all the VO2 max type intervals on the road bike (outside or on the trainer) except if I'm targeting very short TT's as main races. I guess the more watts the better if you're trying to increase your PMA.
Last edited by: Bib02: Dec 17, 17 3:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use basebar for harder intervals and tt for outdoors and also indoor brick sets.
Quote Reply
Re: v02 intervals - specificity or top power? [Bib02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bib02 wrote:
I would do all the VO2 max type intervals on the road bike (outside or on the trainer) except if I'm targeting very short TT's as main races. I guess the more watts the better if you're trying to increase
In Reply To:
your PMA.

Pma?

Edit: I do sprints, 15-20km bike legs full gas. Maybe just keep mixing them. I'm
Always shocked how much more I can
Push on the basebars at all effort levels in
Comparison to tt watts.
Last edited by: coates_hbk: Dec 17, 17 2:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PMA - maximal aerobic power - what you can hold for about 5'. To me, the difference in wattage between the two positions gets smaller as I'm training at the specific intensity for races, but I don't think it would help to do all my training in aero...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Who rides (trainer) in the tt position for all v02 intervals? Lets say i can do 1min on/off x15 or whatever at 330 watts in the tt position but can do 350+ up on the base bar. What says the 'twitch? specificity or absolute power? (nb: all other rides done at and below threshold are done in the tt position)

Not your question, but 1 on/off isn't really a vo2 max interval at all.
Quote Reply
Re: v02 intervals - specificity or top power? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15 in a row@ 120% ftp? I figured 1 min off wouldnt allow for complete recovery? too anerobic? well, it shatters me...i could do 3x5 mins etc instead i guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree

He'd probably get 1 to 3 min of stress at VO2 max.

It would be a difficult workout but not really targeting anything.
Quote Reply
Re: v02 intervals - specificity or top power? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I agree

could have sworn i read even as short as 30 sec on/off has a lot of benefits. Joel Friel http://www.joefrielsblog.com/...terval-duration.html i think it was?
at 5mins intervals i could get around 117% on base bars.
no love for shorter intensity at all? what are there purpose then? crits and road racing? i figured they would help sprint tris a bit atleast since thats all i do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

Even 20 x 30 s on, 30 s off at 120%/85% is more of a maintenance workout for VO2max:

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/...uts-using-power.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

Used to sit up on basebar last winter doing intervals on turbo because I couldn't hold the required power in aero. Outside rides were no problem.

Figured that if i wanted to become stronger during races I'd better become strong in aero position, so I worked on it for a year. Now I can do everything from 5h rides to ftp tests and vo2max's on the turbo in aero position.

I guess as with everything i our sport it comes down to specificity and honing your skillset, so when comes raceday you can unleash the beast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
jaretj wrote:
I agree

could have sworn i read even as short as 30 sec on/off has a lot of benefits. Joel Friel http://www.joefrielsblog.com/...terval-duration.html i think it was?
at 5mins intervals i could get around 117% on base bars.
no love for shorter intensity at all? what are there purpose then? crits and road racing? i figured they would help sprint tris a bit atleast since thats all i do?

Single studies comparing different training interventions are rarely informative by themselves. Either you start with relatively unfit subjects, and everybody improves by leaps and bounds, or you start with relatively fit subjects, and the results are subject to the vagaries in interindividual differences in trainability (since crossover studies are rare, due to timing/carryover considerations). These issues are probably why, e.g., the superiority of the polarized paradigm hasn't been reproduced in subsequent studies, even in the hands of the original investigators. These issues are also why most experienced sports scientists choose not to spin their wheels doing such work.

In any case, here's a good meta-analysis of VO2max training studies:

http://journals.plos.org/...journal.pone.0073182

ETA: BTW, I notice that the article you cited perpetuates the idea that time at/near VO2max is a key variable driving further adaptation. In point of fact, that has never really be tested, but merely assumed. It may instead by the actual intensity that drives further adaptation, or some combination/interaction of time and intensity (as the results of the meta-analysis above suggests).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Dec 17, 17 5:51
Quote Reply
Re: v02 intervals - specificity or top power? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
rubik wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

Even 20 x 30 s on, 30 s off at 120%/85% is more of a maintenance workout for VO2max:

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/...uts-using-power.html

while i wish i could say i was doing 120%/85 ....looking now, they are 125-130%/40%x15 reps

the ride itself leaves me at .91 IF though.

https://www.trainerroad.com/...194-mixed-6-4-2-10x1

longer intervals it is then

ill change this one into 3x5mins for now https://www.trainerroad.com/...tervals-3-5-x-1-min-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.hunterallenpowerblog.com/...-intensive-plan.html

I did most of the above plan last winter to great success in increasing 10-60 minute power. I set prs on everything to 15 minutes to 3 hours and had a 25 watt increase in 20 min power, which was pretty significant as I've been training for 10+ years.

A few times this summer I did 3.5- 4 minute repeats, but I did them at 100% vo2 max using wko4 which puts that closer to 130% of ftp for me. They're an altogether different beast. I didn't actually get to do a full block of them and retest 5 min power, but I'll hopefully do that this spring as I'd really like to boost my 3-5 minute power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While in the aerobars on the triathlon bike you should attain your most powerful hip angle for sustained efforts longer than a minute or two in length. When fit correctly and minimally adapted, there should be an immediate sensation of pedaling 'better' when you drop from the basebar to the aerobars. It's going to require the correct seat height, setback, reach, drop, and crank length. If this is not the case for you, it should be the #1 problem you address. If you are producing 10% more power when sitting up, that is likely to be 10% more power available in your aerobars, once you sort your fit out.

In the meantime, I would do those intervals where you make the best power, but work towards making that your aero position.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Dec 17, 17 6:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow haRd weeks when including running too ouch!
Quote Reply
Re: v02 intervals - specificity or top power? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
.... there should be an immediate sensation of pedaling 'better' when you drop from the basebar to the aerobars. ....

Bingo! Don't like siting up on the base bar, as soon as I drop down, lovely, cadence goes up, power goes up. Never thought about not doing VO2max efforts on the aerobars, want to be able to spend as much time down there as possible!
Quote Reply