Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thirsty when using infinit go far
Quote | Reply
Hi all!

So I'm somewhat new to the triathlon thing. I did a HIM about a month ago, and it went OK. I'm signed up for IMTX in April and still trying to nail down nutrition.

Here is my question: I am using Infinit go far for nutrition, exclusively. when I do rides on the trainer that are 1.5 hours and over, I always feel thirsty. My strategy so far has been to follow the instructions on the bag, and mix 2 scoops with 24 ounces of water, that I drink over an hour. That's it. Nothing else.

Should I drink water on top of that? Is the feel of thirstiness due to the electrolytes in there and normal, and I'm not actually "thirsty"? Should I split into a concentrate bottle (let's say 4-6 scoops per 24 ounces), and a water bottle?

Any feedback is appreciated,
Nick
Quote Reply
Re: Thirsty when using infinit go far [charlie1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used Infinit at IMNC last year and had one bottle concentrated 2:1. Even with the regular concentration I always feel like I need water on top to get the sugary taste out of my mouth.

If you concentrate then you definitely need to take water to dilute the solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
charlie1980 wrote:
Hi all!

So I'm somewhat new to the triathlon thing. I did a HIM about a month ago, and it went OK. I'm signed up for IMTX in April and still trying to nail down nutrition.

Here is my question: I am using Infinit go far for nutrition, exclusively. when I do rides on the trainer that are 1.5 hours and over, I always feel thirsty. My strategy so far has been to follow the instructions on the bag, and mix 2 scoops with 24 ounces of water, that I drink over an hour. That's it. Nothing else.

Should I drink water on top of that? Is the feel of thirstiness due to the electrolytes in there and normal, and I'm not actually "thirsty"? Should I split into a concentrate bottle (let's say 4-6 scoops per 24 ounces), and a water bottle?

Any feedback is appreciated,
Nick

How much sodium is in your mix? I think 1000mg per hour is a good start (at least that's what both Mike Plumb and the Endurance Nation guys recommend). But some people go with significantly more and some with significantly less.

I think you have 3 options:
1) do a sweat test (described below or google "sweat test hour bike" and you will find a few other protocols)
2) increase your fluid by 8oz per hour and test over the course of a few rides. If still thirsty, increase by 4-8 oz per hour.
3) Assuming your mix is custom, lower the sodium (2-300 mg) then see how you do on that.

Sweat Test Instructions
Immediately prior to a one hour Zone Two ride, weigh yourself with no clothes on and with whatever food you plan to eat during the test (i.e., gels, bars, etc). DO NOT WEIGH IN WITH FLUIDS!

Ride One Hour at race effort (Ironman Athletes = Zone 2 / Steady / 70% FTP; Half Ironman Athletes = Zone 3 / Mod Hard / 80% to 85% FTP).

Keep track of fluid ounces that you drink during the test.

When finished with the one hour test, immediately weigh yourself with no clothes on and with whatever food you weighed in with at the beginning of the test but didn’t eat.

Sweat Trial Calculation Instructions

Subtract your “Post Test Weight” (you, nude/dry after your test) from your “Pre Test Weight” (you, nude/dry before your test), this is total weight lost in pounds (lbs).
Multiply the amount of weight you lost by both 16 and 24 (it takes about 16 - 24 oz, maybe more to replace every pound of fluid lost).

To the two numbers you got above, add the oz you drank (both water and sports drink) during the test. Again, you get two answers.

The lower number is for cooler days; the higher number for hotter conditions.
Last edited by: Jonathan22: Dec 13, 17 17:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see you are using Go Far so stratch #3 above and what I said about 1000mg per hour. Like someone else posted, I like to have a bottle of clean water to drink to overcome the sugar taste
Quote Reply