Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Home Build [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes they can do all that in the design phase

I have been getting quotes for a 15-25m lap pool.

I am in two minds. I lose nothing in property value due to my location but I will never see that value in my use of it.

At present I think a plunge pool and an endless or fastlane is the way to go for me but we shall see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being in commercial construction and having done lots of large scale ICF projects I would also make sure that you get someone who knows what they are doing with it. It seems easy enough but the critical aspect of it is the bracing of it while you pour it and making sure there are no bellies in the wall and that it is straight. I have seen plenty of jacked up stuff and it is not necessarily an easy fix when you are talking taking out concrete. If you have any questions or anything feel free to shoot me a message and I would be plenty willing to help out and give insight.

As for what type of pool I don't have much to add other than can I come check it out when it is finished?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To make a 1.2m pool almost flush means going 1.5 down

To excavate retrospectively would be a nightmare in a basement

15m pool I think is 30m3 of concrete. It's expensive. It requires real skill.

You can design in and plan for services for the pool but it's a big project and to do it later will be messy and hugely disruptive if inside

Given you want 18 years. Concrete is only way to go. Bricks or a pour.
Quote Reply
Re: New Home Build [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSchmitt wrote:
Being in commercial construction and having done lots of large scale ICF projects I would also make sure that you get someone who knows what they are doing with it. It seems easy enough but the critical aspect of it is the bracing of it while you pour it and making sure there are no bellies in the wall and that it is straight. I have seen plenty of jacked up stuff and it is not necessarily an easy fix when you are talking taking out concrete. If you have any questions or anything feel free to shoot me a message and I would be plenty willing to help out and give insight.

As for what type of pool I don't have much to add other than can I come check it out when it is finished?

I was thinking when I dig down, I would dig a few feet from where the wall would be (to eventually have a small deck all the way around the pool that slopes slightly toward the pool). If I need to go above ground for any pool depth I would use block to make the difference up

As for checking it out, depends how much help you give with ICF, lol....jk.....really depends on the bosses approval
Last edited by: 140.6sj: Dec 13, 17 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. Understandable. Was joking about seeing it but if you do have any questions about ICF or anything feel free to let me know and I will be happy to help where I can.

ETA: If you do end up going with ICF it is easy enough to set plates in the walls for any structural steel that you might end up needing in order to clear span an area that large.
Last edited by: LSchmitt: Dec 13, 17 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put it outside and cover it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just being a Devil's advocate. While the idea of a pool at first blush sounds interesting (and fun), the heat, humidity and constant chemicals in the air doesn't sound great. Plus getting out of the house is a good thing. Yes it is far more convenient to swim at home. Also since this may not be your last home, think about reselling this down the road. Just my thoughts :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you swim regularly in an indoor pool? If not, there's a HUGE difference between outdoor pools and indoor from my perspective.

I started swimming in an indoor big-box gym pool and eventually moved up to swimming at my local university's outdoor pool. I never knew what I was missing until I moved up though - I could actually breathe! I had picked up a number of sinus infections from the indoor pool over those first 2 years with the indoor pool and that completely went away when I started swimming outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a swimming pool company and have seen and serviced many indoor set ups. I'd advise an endless pool for many reason. Number one, though, would be a much smaller footprint. If you build it above ground you can rip it out easily if you sell the house. Some people will build a windowed partition so they can see the pool. This allows for a smaller air handler in the basement. A salt system with an automatic cover can really cut out any smell. Its nice to have a seating area that can double as a spa area, "don't feel like swimming...have a cocktail."

Cheers

Don
Quote Reply
Re: New Home Build [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am curious.
How big is your lap pool (25y * X??) ?
I plan to build a 25m lap pool (inground/outside, 25x3m with a 4x4x4m extra triangle on one side to use it like a family pool). It won't cost "much" since I can build it myself. (But some good friends convinced me that I had to try an endless pool first. Scheduled).
Could you tell us more about your experience ? Looks like the cost of maintenance had a role but what about other reasons you would instead go another route ?
Thanks
Last edited by: tripot: Dec 14, 17 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: New Home Build [Piche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting. I have been torn between lap or plunge + endless. I think the latter may be best option primarily because 1) a 25m above ground (one side would be a retaining wall) lap pool is expensive to build and 2) on going maintenance would be a significant PITA.

I am thinking plunge pool with seats in it as we have sun deck and outdoor kitchen and bar. Flume at one side. Get the same utility for fraction of cost.
Quote Reply
Re: New Home Build [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
I would go for a lap pool with a mirror at the bottom, lionel sanders style.

You better come out first of the swim with this setup. What would be your excuse if you didnt?
n

I know everyone thinks this, but you gotta then explain why you aren't #1 on the run because you simply own a treadmill, or #1 on the bike just because you have a Kickr. Having an in-home pool ONLY solves pool access issues - it doesn't make you swim any faster unless you're willing to bust your hump getting there.

I also think it's pretty hard to hammer by yourself in a solo home pool. I've been on trips where I've paid for a weeks' access to a nearby private gym with a pretty nice 25yd pool that literally zero people swam in - I had it all to myself every time I went. And for sure, I would have much rather had some people in adjacent lanes, just for company and motivation.

As awesome as this house sounds, and I DO think it's awesome to have a basement pool (!!!), I know from my experience that I would just spend $2k on a Vasa erg and call it a day for swimming. I go through long stretches where I swim very little (like when I'm training for a marathon) and I'm soooo glad that there is minimal upkeep on the Vasa - no chemicals to worry about, no fluids to leak, no power outlet needed, no special cleaning required. I did, however, have to recently pay $30 for a cable replacement kit on my Vasa erg since I wore them out from using them so much!
Quote Reply
Re: New Home Build [skiermarc127] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skiermarc127 wrote:
You would need both. The architect's job is to make sure everything looks proportionally correct, and flows the way you intend. An architect does not have the legal ability to stamp structural drawings, (in every location I've worked, could be different in some states), but will have an engineer with whom they work frequently.

To answer your earlier question about planning ahead, this is where a good architect will really shine. It's worth spending the extra money up front to have these plans drawn out so that someone doesn't lay a new gas line, or plumbing in the exact place you don't want it in the future. The expensive part of construction comes when changes are made and things are ripped out, but is completely avoidable if done correctly.

To make an analogy to triathlon, think of the architect as a good coach. They know all the right people, have the game plan, and the experience to guide you through this as smoothly as possible.

ability to stamp depends on jurisdiction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert on construction, but I've swum in my fair share of pools and purchased a house built to spec.

Air quality, water quality and gutters (wave management) are the features I think of when I think of small custom pools. Meaning, those features generally suck and make those pools worthless to me. Probably because they are cost prohibitive on a small scale, but what do I know. I'd insist on a design partner that really knows those elements of pools and throw out the pencil on the costs to get this done right (or not at all).

An insulated, temperature controlled, technology enabled, space for bike-run-strength would be my priority. Think HVAC, integrated fans, wi-fi, audio, video. Along with accompanying locker room style storage for bikes and gear, a drying room for sweaty stuff and a sauna. Much more bang for your buck here, but that's just me.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140.6sj wrote:
My questions are what would people recommend going with? What considerations would I need to make for that decision (thicker concrete pad?). If I went with a pool, how much more room then the actual pool would I need for a surround and accessories?

A real pool (25 yard or meters) would easily add $150k or more to the build price of the house. Other than pure bling factor, it's pretty hard to justify... if an annual pool membership costs (say) $500, you're set for 300 years of having no pool maintenance headaches if you don't build the pool.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: New Home Build [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Air quality, water quality and gutters (wave management) are the features I think of when I think of small custom pools. Meaning, those features generally suck and make those pools worthless to me. Probably because they are cost prohibitive on a small scale, but what do I know. I'd insist on a design partner that really knows those elements of pools and throw out the pencil on the costs to get this done right (or not at all).

An insulated, temperature controlled, technology enabled, space for bike-run-strength would be my priority. Think HVAC, integrated fans, wi-fi, audio, video...
Scott

I agree 100% with this. But People build lap pools on the cheap don’t consider any of this.

I will add: good lighting, digital pace clock and nonturbulent lanes lines.
Quote Reply

Prev Next