Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired?
Quote | Reply
Got this dent in my rear wheel last time I shipped my bike. Wasn't the only damage but the other stuff was fixable. Can this be repaired? It measures 3/8ths inch by 3/8ths just below the brake rim.....not cracked....just dented. Haven't contacted Enve yet. Appreciate the advice here first.

Last edited by: gphin305: Dec 9, 17 9:45
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Got this dent in my rear wheel last time I shipped my bike. Wasn't the only damage but the other stuff was fixable. Can this be repaired? It measures 3/8ths inch by 3/8ths just below the brake rim.....not cracked....just dented. Haven't contacted Enve yet. Appreciate the advice here first.

Maybe it is just the photo, but that looks cracked through carbon fibers to me. Either way, that damage is in the braketrack on a carbon clincher which makes it susceptible to continuous brake forces and braking heat. I'd contact Enve ASAP and would guess the advice is to replace. Sucks to have this happen in shipping:( Sorry.
Last edited by: SummitAK: Dec 9, 17 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks done to me. Don't risk your life or crashing while in a group and hurting others. Replace the wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, that wheel is done, it's pretty clearly cracked. Additionally, carbon won't dent, any visible deformation means that there is a crack somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that wheel is done...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like your brake pads might be set a little low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll need a new set of rims....not sure how a set of rims + labor prices out compared to a brand new wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

Maybe it is just the photo, but that looks cracked through carbon fibers to me. Either way, that damage is in the braketrack on a carbon clincher which makes it susceptible to continuous brake forces and braking heat. I'd contact Enve ASAP and would guess the advice is to replace. Sucks to have this happen in shipping:( Sorry.

that wheel can be fixed, people make to big a deal on this forum about carbon repair. If you don't trust it Ill take it off your hands.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for input. I think the pic makes it look worse than it is.....I don't know. After getting opinions here, I was going to contact Enve.....have the lifetime warranty at least. Just worried about the 8.9 being discontinued. Am, I correct, do you live in Jersey....know of any local expert (within a couple hours) who might be able to determine for sure if it's fixable?
Last edited by: gphin305: Dec 10, 17 5:41
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

that wheel can be fixed, people make to big a deal on this forum about carbon repair. If you don't trust it Ill take it off your hands.

I'm not aware of any carbon repair services that will repair wheels. All that I've dealt with specifically state that they won't.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some do, but they won't touch brake tracks. If the OP has the ENVE lifetime warranty, it doesnt seem very smart to pay for a risky repair job when it could be replaced for free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried poking the crack with a pencil? If you do - if the pencil penetrates the crack is definitely not a dent. Same if the area immediately next to the tip of the pencil flexes - in which case, definitely strong damage. (This is part of a common test to determine damage in composites after the Gardner impact test).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly doubt this will be covered under warranty considering it was damaged during shipping. But I know Enve has a crash replacement program where you can get a replacement wheel. Friend of mine had to do it recently. I don't remember how much it was though.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know funny, Airlines repair airplane bodies we ALL fly in.
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Current airplane repair is done by riveting a plate on top of damaged composite sections because bonding is considered too unreliable. I don't think you want this done on your wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello imswimmer328 and All,

I like it.

Rivet and bond a small aluminum plate (or piece of carbon fiber) .... not much bigger than the damage area on both sides and repeat at 180 degrees (or use a small weight) for balance. Should not add very much weight.

Oops!! Maybe not .... that puncture looks like it is in the brake track.

https://gearjunkie.com/...er-bike-frame-repair

Excerpt:

"Rims: you have so much heat, friction, and extremely high forces on very small areas that repair isn’t practical. On the other hand, disc wheels (as in TT disc wheels) are repairable, except along the brake track. It’s pretty common for them to get pierced by a pedal during transportation."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Dec 11, 17 19:34
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello imswimmer328 and All,

I like it.

Rivet and bond a small aluminum plate (or piece of carbon fiber) .... not much bigger than the damage area on both sides and repeat at 180 degrees (or use a small weight) for balance. Should not add very much weight.

Oops!! Maybe not .... that puncture looks like it is in the brake track.

https://gearjunkie.com/...er-bike-frame-repair

Excerpt:

"Rims: you have so much heat, friction, and extremely high forces on very small areas that repair isn’t practical. On the other hand, disc wheels (as in TT disc wheels) are repairable, except along the brake track. It’s pretty common for them to get pierced by a pedal during transportation."

Thanks all for replies. As an fyi, the dent is not in the brake track....just below. And while the Enve lifetime warranty will cover manufacturing defects, the warranty will only cover 50% off msrp for non-racing related damage to replace. The wheel is an 8.9 which they no longer make. I'll be contacting Enve this week to get their advice but if anyone knows a shop that might be able to repair, appreciate the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the System 8.9 wheels that I bought through Wheel Builder w a G3 powertap ... a fantastic wheelset that I hope to keep for a long time. Two years ago during a steep descent in the Alps at the Zell Am See 70.3, I got a heat deformation in the front rim along the brake track. Enve warrantied the rim and Wheel Builder rebuilt it with new rims. If you can't find someone who will repair the existing rim, you might check with Wheel Builder to see if they have any spare rims left for that wheel.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Dec 12, 17 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I have the System 8.9 wheels that I bought through Wheel Builder w a G3 powertap ... a fantastic wheelset that I hope to keep for a long time. Two years ago during a steep descent in the Alps at the Zell Am See 70.3, I got a heat deformation in the front rim along the brake track. Enve warrantied the rim and Wheel Builder rebuilt it with new rims. If you can't find someone who will repair the existing rim, you might check with Wheel Builder to see if they have any spare rims left for that wheel.

Did you make the calculation that your rim was somehow defective and a replacement rim was likely to be more robust? Did you stop doing such big descents? I have to imagine it must be hard to have confidence in your wheels after they've already let you down once, no? Sorry if that's slightly off topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The calculation was simple...after the descent, I had a noticeable pulse in the front wheel when braking as it was an outwards facing heat bubble. After the race I saw a guy with carbon wheels who had a 12' heat smear ... his rim had literally melted. I would use aluminum brake rims if I were on such a course again ... or maybe a HED Jet 6+ Black.
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The calculation was simple...after the descent, I had a noticeable pulse in the front wheel when braking as it was an outwards facing heat bubble. After the race I saw a guy with carbon wheels who had a 12' heat smear ... his rim had literally melted. I would use aluminum brake rims if I were on such a course again ... or maybe a HED Jet 6+ Black.

Yeah, I meant the calculation of continuing to ride a wheel model that had already failed you once. Sounds like you wouldn't take it back on similar terrain.
Quote Reply
Re: Dent in Enve 8.9.....can/should this be repaired? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not on that course. I raced those same wheels at Powerman Zofingen in 2014 before the Zell 70.3 in 2015 but also at IM Switzerland 2016 on the rebuilt front wheel. It is a superb, FAST wheelset and is fine on downhills, just not exceptionally steep downhills with hairpin corners. :) I think I bought them in 2012 or 2013; today's carbon brake tracks are better.
Quote Reply