Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using riboflavin to visualize aero testing?
Quote | Reply
It's a simple question to which I don't have the knowledge or qualification to talk about: Has anyone ever used riboflavin and a uv light to visualize any aero testing?

We use it to test the clean-ability of stainless equipment. Spray it on, run a cleaning cycle, then throw the uv light on it to ensure all was washed away.

I got led on to this by a coworker who said he knew a guy that said that Formula 1 teams used this method in the past. Essentially mist a car with the riboflavin solution, run the car outdoors or in a tunnel, and put the uv light on it either during or after the test. (I know, a guy that heard a guy say something.....very reliable). I looked it up and couldn't really find anything.

Not everyone has access to wind tunnels and expensive setups. Riboflavin and a uv light are cheap.

You could, in theory, mist a bike/helmet/bottles or anything you want with it then run the bike up to a good speed on a flat or downhill and video tape it with a uv light. Or stop and put the uv light on the bike to see how the misted solution was forced over and around the setup.

I have no plans to ever try this for any kind of useful purpose. I wouldn't know what I'm doing. I have access to the stuff, so it may be something cool to just "try" for fun for a neat picture. Mist down the frame and helmet, go down the big hill by the house, and see what happens when you throw the UV light on it.

Anyone heard of this anywhere? Would just be interesting to see or read about. Not interested in debating merits, it's just a silly question out of curiosity that maybe someone has heard of it and has a link to a fun read.
Quote Reply
Re: Using riboflavin to visualize aero testing? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting idea. I can see that’s using a different substance might work. A powder might work perhaps.

What I’ve seen of flow-viz is that it needs quite high speed flows to get it to, erm, flow. My doubts would be that so much of the flow is turbulent, that seeing anything would be tricky. This, and bikes being ‘aerodynamically small, slow and lumpy’ might explain why wind tunnels don’t bother with smoke flow visualisation.

I’ll have a chat with the guys next time I’m in the tunnel.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People who make their own gliders use 'oil tests' on their wings and bodies (of the aircraft). I have seen some mount them to a car and drive it around and then stop to see where the oil is left and the pattern it runs off. This sounds similar; looking to see where it accumulates.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
http://www.vti.mod.gov.rs/...7/1-07/rist/rist.pdf

At first I was thinking vitamin B2 ....

https://www.amazon.com/...b2%2Bpowder&th=1

1 kilo $89.96

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Dec 8, 17 15:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear LSD helps a lot w/ visualization
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Using riboflavin to visualize aero testing? [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing a pic of Patrick Lange in a wind tunnel somewhere doing smoke flow visualization over the leading edge of his helmet and the interface of his helmet with his back
Quote Reply
Re: Using riboflavin to visualize aero testing? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears that magic mushrooms have been used in the past...

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply