Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutrition for a cold IM, i.e., Norseman, etc.
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Israman at the end of January and have read that the temperature on the bike course can be as low as 3-5 C once you get into the dessert. I wonder whether people modify their nutrition for colder racing conditions that occur in some of the extreme triathlons, i.e, do you end up relying less on liquid based nutrition and reduce the amount of fluid intake. I would guess cold means a lower sweat rate and relying on fluid only calories would result in lots of bathroom stops.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition for a cold IM, i.e., Norseman, etc. [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I posted this question before doing a IM Copenhagen last August. It turned out to be a windy, wet, and relatively cold day (around 12-15c all day with wind). I was stupid enough to stick with my nutrition that I was using all year that was probably ok for a hotter day, this ended up with me having to Pee during (and on) my bike about 10x which depleted my minerals for the run. I suffered quite a lot on the run.

I used EFS-Pro, which is made for very hot conditions. I communicated with them afterwards and they actually do NOT recommend Pro for cold conditions.

https://firstendurance.com/tips-for-dialing-in-your-cold-weather-fueling-with-efs/

I mainly used a liquid strategy, but had some solids during the run at the aid stations (when I was struggling). I'm not sure if you'll take that much less fluid, but be sure you test the sodium balance. I "think" you won't need as much sodium in the cold. I would consider a mix of stuff now, probably gummies, gels, and solids + a lighter drink mix (maybe just Nuun tablets).
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition for a cold IM, i.e., Norseman, etc. [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri@thlete wrote:
I wish I posted this question before doing a IM Copenhagen last August. It turned out to be a windy, wet, and relatively cold day (around 12-15c all day with wind). I was stupid enough to stick with my nutrition that I was using all year that was probably ok for a hotter day, this ended up with me having to Pee during (and on) my bike about 10x which depleted my minerals for the run. I suffered quite a lot on the run.

I used EFS-Pro, which is made for very hot conditions. I communicated with them afterwards and they actually do NOT recommend Pro for cold conditions.

https://firstendurance.com/tips-for-dialing-in-your-cold-weather-fueling-with-efs/

I mainly used a liquid strategy, but had some solids during the run at the aid stations (when I was struggling). I'm not sure if you'll take that much less fluid, but be sure you test the sodium balance. I "think" you won't need as much sodium in the cold. I would consider a mix of stuff now, probably gummies, gels, and solids + a lighter drink mix (maybe just Nuun tablets).

I think this probably depends alot on what your body is used to. I live and train in shitty weather:-) i find i generaly need less when its cold, and I rely more on solids (but - i have never had any GI-issues). For me - bananas and various bars (have some homemade ones i love) last a long way.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition for a cold IM, i.e., Norseman, etc. [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feedback. I will get out for some rides in the cold and check my sweat rate. I know my numbers for hotter weather. Also, I am okay with solids on the bike. At least I was a couple years back before I switched to mostly liquids.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition for a cold IM, i.e., Norseman, etc. [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I think they key is to decouple your fluids and your calories as much as you can. Doesn't necessarily mean solids, but super-concentrated [insert name of your favorite powdered drink mix] or solids works well.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition for a cold IM, i.e., Norseman, etc. [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very specifically can you outline what you did?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition for a cold IM, i.e., Norseman, etc. [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
yeah I think they key is to decouple your fluids and your calories as much as you can. Doesn't necessarily mean solids, but super-concentrated [insert name of your favorite powdered drink mix] or solids works well.

You can't really decouple them, can you? You need the liquids to enable your stomach to process the calories, right?
Quote Reply