Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alcatraz... $175 vs $750 entry, but no bike. Would you still opt for the latter?
Quote | Reply
The Escape from Alcatraz tri was a bucket list item for me -- frankly, mainly for the swim. If I want a hilly bike course, I'll go (fairly) locally to Tremblant. The run looks pretty cool, with the sand ladder and such.

So I found out I got a chance, through the lottery, to enter. However, looking up some other events, I found a swim-run "duathlon" that does the same swim course. For $175. At that price difference, especially because I'm a Canadian paying USD, there was no way I was forking out an extra $550 US just so I could do the bike portion. Especially given that friends who did this race last year didn't even get to swim.

I'm curious, is the history/pro participation/appeal of the specific Escape from Alcatraz race enough to get you to fork out that kind of money when similar options are available?
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz... $175 vs $750 entry, but no bike. Would you still opt for the latter? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My two cents is Alcatraz is 90% about the swim, and 9.9% about the run. The bike is just there. Not that I look down on it, but I agree with you. All things being equal I would do the tri. $550 <> $0 though.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz... $175 vs $750 entry, but no bike. Would you still opt for the latter? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done both of those (escape twice, plus some swim only races), but when the run went over the GG bridge and it was really cool (swim ended in Chrissy field then). Now I think the run goes to the bridge and back.

The escape event has a big time race feel but I wouldn’t do it again and definitely not for 750. Last time I did it in 2015 I had already decided on the bike i wouldn’t do it again. I think the bike is a crowded cluster fuck and downright dangerous in a couple spots

Plus Travel is so much easier and cheaper with wetsuit and shoes only

I vote the aquathon personally
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 7, 17 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it the past three years and 2018 will be four. It is probably my favorite race. The swim is iconic...nothing like it....no buoys...no turns....just jump off the ferry and swim. The bike is very challenging. You are either going up or down. Not too much flat. Only race I would ever do on a road bike vs. TT (Andy Potts has won on both). The run is pretty crazy with all of the elevation changes and the sand ladder.

All that being said, the price is stupid high, but it is worth it for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the cost being due to travel, I would probably stick to the Escape triathlon.

I wasted thousands of dollars travelling from Canada this year when the swim got canceled, but I thought the bike and run courses were the most fun of any triathlon I did. I will take advantage of my guaranteed slot in 2019 in the hopes of completing the whole thing, in which case I will never return afterwards due to the cost. It is my view than unless you are a millionaire living in the Bay area, Escape from Alcatraz remains a one-time bucket list event.

- The Architect -
"If you don't die executing my training plan this year you'll be much faster" -- My coach
Last edited by: TheArchitect: Dec 7, 17 22:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider the cost of your entire trip. Next consider what you could do if you divert the $550 on the trip to something else. Finally, is the $550 actually important in your overall budgeting?

Is it worth the $550 for the bike leg? It is pretty hard to justify that economically. But that is the case with most incremental improvements.
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz... $175 vs $750 entry, but no bike. Would you still opt for the latter? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I've already signed up for the aquathlon rather than the Escape tri... it was a no-brainer for me. Was just interested in how others felt about it, given that these other options exist that include the same swim as Escape for much less cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can do the swim with Water World any time for $175.

Escape from Alcatraz is a one and done deal, especially at $750.

They let everyone in the lottery. They should just make it open registration, the lottery thing is a ruse.
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz... $175 vs $750 entry, but no bike. Would you still opt for the latter? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seriously can't believe people do this race! Race organizers must just laugh at how stupid all us triathletes are and what price we're willing to pay to do a 2 hour race. And the most hilarious part is they make you feel like you are the lucky one by winning the lottery (which it seems almost everyone who enters, wins!). When they more than doubled the price a few years back for no apparent reason, I saw it as a sign of triathlons demise. Hopefully exciting races like Superleague can bring newcomers to our sport, not people who blindly decide to do a bucket list regardless of cost because you get to jump out of a boat.
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz... $175 vs $750 entry, but no bike. Would you still opt for the latter? [JVanderveen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JVanderveen wrote:
I seriously can't believe people do this race! Race organizers must just laugh at how stupid all us triathletes are and what price we're willing to pay to do a 2 hour race. And the most hilarious part is they make you feel like you are the lucky one by winning the lottery (which it seems almost everyone who enters, wins!). When they more than doubled the price a few years back for no apparent reason, I saw it as a sign of triathlons demise. Hopefully exciting races like Superleague can bring newcomers to our sport, not people who blindly decide to do a bucket list regardless of cost because you get to jump out of a boat.

It is not almost everyone, it is everyone. Everyone who enters the lottery gets in.

We will post this question for the third year in a row - did anyone who wanted to do Alcatraz who entered the lottery NOT get in?

They sent out emails begging people to enter the lottery. Once you won the lottery (which everyone does!!) they beg you to register.

I think the only thing that really draws people to this race is the social media / impress your friends or office mates factor. Obviously there is a very well known social myth that Alcatraz was not escapable so people really feel great and get an dopamine rush about telling their friends they did this race.

Other than figuring out how to cut across the current in the swim there is nothing too remarkable about this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto all the stuff already said here. It is all about the swim and it is epic.

As a California-girl, I wouldn't do the $750 tri, but as a bucket list to-do from far away, I would do the tri (money not being a restriction, of course). How often do you get to come to San Fran, swim from Alcatraz, then bike and run the city (too bad it doesn't go over the bridge).

Whatever you do, do not believe that sign that says, "SF's best pizza." It is a lie and a trap. And their beer selection is lame.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live 3 hours away, and have done just about 200 tri's in 20 years. I have zero desire to do the race, even if it were free.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz... $175 vs $750 entry, but no bike. Would you still opt for the latter? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
It is not almost everyone, it is everyone. Everyone who enters the lottery gets in.

We will post this question for the third year in a row - did anyone who wanted to do Alcatraz who entered the lottery NOT get in?

Yes, me.

My mate entered (based in UK) and he got a place. I entered from US and did not. Now I’ll be travelling to the race to accompany him even if I can’t get a place... would really like one...

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alcatraz is too expensive but worth it if you can afford it. I'm glad I raced it but I'm one and done. It is a bucket list race. the bike is challenging, scenic and is a little technical compared to most tri courses.
I didn't find the swim as epic as expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seriously can't understand why anybody would allow the Escape series to charge that money and still sign up for this race. It's bad for the sport.

Mark Kolding - Rookie Pro 2019 Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz... $175 vs $750 entry, but no bike. Would you still opt for the latter? [lilmuncher14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lilmuncher14 wrote:
I seriously can't understand why anybody would allow the Escape series to charge that money and still sign up for this race. It's bad for the sport.

Look in the (collective) mirror. Just skimmed the relevant results pages:
2015, last time I did it and last race at the "cheap" price (even then it was wicked expensive for an Oly), there were just over 1800 finishers and about 100 relays.

2017, about 1725 finishers and 50 something relays. This was a huge rebound from 2016 where they probably felt the most backlash for the price gouging, which had just over 1300 finishers and about 60 relays.

More or less. Clearly, the price has not affected the ability to pay or the attraction of the race. And seems people have accepted the new normal, at least for this year
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 8, 17 12:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
The Escape from Alcatraz tri was a bucket list item for me -- frankly, mainly for the swim. If I want a hilly bike course, I'll go (fairly) locally to Tremblant. The run looks pretty cool, with the sand ladder and such.

So I found out I got a chance, through the lottery, to enter. However, looking up some other events, I found a swim-run "duathlon" that does the same swim course. For $175. At that price difference, especially because I'm a Canadian paying USD, there was no way I was forking out an extra $550 US just so I could do the bike portion. Especially given that friends who did this race last year didn't even get to swim.

I'm curious, is the history/pro participation/appeal of the specific Escape from Alcatraz race enough to get you to fork out that kind of money when similar options are available?

Actually, it is all about the swim.

And you could do that organized without the run (I think it was something like $75 last time I looked--too lazy now).

If you know your tide tables and are a proficient open water swimmer, the swim isn't that challenging, and can be done out and back from AP.

I'd recommend of course a wettie and fins for safety (which some local dolphins would laugh about), and more importantly to pick a time without boat traffic and when nobody can see you heading to and from the Island (preferably at night).
It's the experience of a lifetime, if I would have ever actually done it, which I vehemently deny.

Just don't get caught like those two out-of-town amateurs....or it may cost you much more than $750.-:
http://www.sfgate.com/...m-search-4675222.php
Last edited by: windschatten: Dec 9, 17 0:24
Quote Reply