Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tipping... yup Im back and this is what I want to post about [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Here is an example for you that may help but keep in mind I enjoy tipping.

We have a favorite restaurant. Nothing fancy; bar and grill type menu but they have a nice patio that allows dogs and has live music on fridays. We go every Friday, always call ahead to make sure our favorite server is working and get seated in her area. She always remembers our name, brings water and a treat for our dog, she remembers what is happening in our lives, she extends happy hour for us, allows special orders and offers honest meal and wine suggestions. All with a huge, positive smile.

Our dinner is usually $75-100. I generally leave her $50. Why, because she makes our experience outstanding.

Unfortunately she is gone now. Here replacements are average and we are back to being occasional customers. Since the service is average, we tip in the same manner.

My advice to you: if you are going to over think like you tend to do, don't go out. If you go out and someone makes your experience exceptional, reward them well with a good tip and frequent patronage. If they treat you like a cog in the wheel, leave a minimum tip.

Boy do I over think everything, Thats why I have 5 work shirts (yes 1 for mon, 1 for tue ... ) Getting dressed in the morning got a whole lot simpler.

Oh on the tipping, I have said often I rarely go out, when I do I calculate 20% and round up. Unless the service is horrible, I tip about 5% or 10% round down, and then write on the receipt, something like sorry, bad service.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping... yup Im back and this is what I want to post about [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good plan!

Re: Tipping... yup Im back and this is what I want to post about [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Here is an example for you that may help but keep in mind I enjoy tipping.

We have a favorite restaurant. Nothing fancy; bar and grill type menu but they have a nice patio that allows dogs and has live music on fridays. We go every Friday, always call ahead to make sure our favorite server is working and get seated in her area. She always remembers our name, brings water and a treat for our dog, she remembers what is happening in our lives, she extends happy hour for us, allows special orders and offers honest meal and wine suggestions. All with a huge, positive smile.

Our dinner is usually $75-100. I generally leave her $50. Why, because she makes our experience outstanding.

Unfortunately she is gone now. Here replacements are average and we are back to being occasional customers. Since the service is average, we tip in the same manner.

My advice to you: if you are going to over think like you tend to do, don't go out. If you go out and someone makes your experience exceptional, reward them well with a good tip and frequent patronage. If they treat you like a cog in the wheel, leave a minimum tip.

If it weren't for all the monkeying with wages that goes on then tipping would be exactly what you describe. Instead we have 15-20% as a baseline and then are expected to go above if the service is really good. If a tip was really a tip, then you would just pay your bill if you got lousy service. If the service was average you might leave a buck or two, if it was exceptional you might leave 15-20%. That is where the argument for tipping or not comes in, it is not a tip anymore if extra is expected regardless of service.
Quote Reply

Prev Next