Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How light of a shoe for a marathon?
Quote | Reply
I like light shoes. Right now the shoes I run in are between 8-9 oz. I'm somewhat light at 165lbs, prob around 160 in summer. Would some of you fast runners wear a 6.5 oz shoe for a full marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: How light of a shoe for a marathon? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you get away with very light shoes for a half marathon? Some people use them and then can't run for two weeks, some have no problem, some don't last 10K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above. I think an important part of training is race rehearsal. We need to figure out how to test race kit, nutrition, pacing so that we aren't making wrong decisions on race day. If you aren't doing enough training/testing on those shoes to know this yourself then I wouldn't risk it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The basics are run in aa little amount of shoe as you can get away with. There is a guy who runs the LA Marathon every year dressed up like an Aztec runs barefoot and somewhere in the 3:15 range.

Find your racing shoe and test it out on a half marathon. If it feels great there you’ll have to use your instincts to determine if it will feel great for another half marathon.

#1 racing flat on the marathons around the world is the adidas adios boost
#2 is the Nike Vapor Fly 4%

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends! I’ve ran marathons in Nike Lunaracer which are around 7-8 ounces I think but have a lot of cushion and the last marathon I ran is ASICS Hyperspeeds which are low 6 ounces. I can’t imahine running in anything heavier but I also ran in them a lot in training to make sure my body could handle it.

I’m also around 160ish at marathon weight too. Go light and see how they feel in training!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though I'm only around 150lbs, I ran in the NB 1400V4 which are low 7 oz and loved them. Had to replace them after about 200 miles though but best race shoes I've had in a while.
Only ran half distance and up to 36k in them, not a full marathon..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
154 lbs and 4.2 oz shoes, love it. Difficult to go lighter without going barefoot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not fast anymore, used to be 2:40 at 160lb, raced marathon once in light shoes and found it counterproductive.

Less weight is faster, until the extra costs of absorbing landing shock come due, and you tire faster..
Research:
http://runsmartproject.com/...-affect-performance/
and
"cushioning can improve running economy by as much as 3-4 percent."
http://www.runnersworld.com/...ingly-more-efficient

So if you can find a light shoe with good cushion, maybe. But weight alone should not be a deciding factor.
As Dave says, either the Adidas or the Nike would be my pick.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Last edited by: doug in co: Dec 4, 17 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: How light of a shoe for a marathon? [Davidsson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Davidsson wrote:
154 lbs and 4.2 oz shoes, love it. Difficult to go lighter without going barefoot.
Which shoes and what pace did/do you maintain for the distance?
Quote Reply
Re: How light of a shoe for a marathon? [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Which shoes and what pace did/do you maintain for the distance?

I run in a pair of custom Luna Sandals. I 'm not one of the fast guys, still working on beating 3h.
Quote Reply