Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon construction question
Quote | Reply
Curious if anyone knows what makes most carbon bars unsuitable for clip on aerobars. I know that their were a lot6 of reports of the original Easton bars breaking due to aerobars, but why. Is it that the clamps provide localized stress from the sharp edges, something else? I know that somemanufacturer sell both bars that can't be clamped and bars that can, what is the difference.

styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon construction question [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon bars that can be clamped usually have some sort of reinforcement in the area where the clamping is to take place. Without it, there is a risk of crushing the carbon, and weakening the bar.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I KNOW Kestrel makes bars that are suitable. I believe it has do with reinforcement in the area of the clamp-ons. I would guess (but don't know) that most carbon bars are reinforced in the area of the stem clamp, and that clip-on suitable bars merely extend that reinforcement out. Stems are generally much more even in their pressure application, but again, certain stems work better with carbon bars. Clip-ons usually have clipping mechanisms that do not apply pressure nearly as evenly as a stem, so you are basically guaranteed of stress risers, therefore the carbon bars need to be designed with this in mind.

Easton does now make carbon bars that are compatible with clip-ons. But unless bars say they are compatible, assume they are not.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't do it unless the manufacturer specifically says it's OK. I have Kestrel EMS Pro drop bars on my road bike. They are Kevlar reinforced so I can use clip-ons with them.

Having said that, IMO, carbon drop bars are a total waste of money. They offer no advantages over aluminium bars, even on the ride comfort. If you want to absorb more road shock then use a thicker bar tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon construction question [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Having said that, IMO, carbon drop bars are a total waste of money. They offer no advantages over aluminium bars, even on the ride comfort. If you want to absorb more road shock then use a thicker bar tape.[/reply]

Hallelujah - at last someone with common sense!
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon construction question [Ben Zona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of bar tape...an AWESOME solution is Specialized Bar Phat...with gel inserts that get wrapped beneath the tape. I've put this on my road bike...even after swapping carbon bars back to all Ritchey WSC aluminum front end...and the difference in comfort is night and day.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon construction question [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If what you say is correct then proper selection of aerobars and careful installation would be OK on any carbon bar. I can see where this would not be recommended/endorsed by a manufacturer, but is it true or am I missing something.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not say "any" bar. I think there are certain aerobars that might work on just about any carbon bar, and certain carbon bars (obviously) that take any clip-on aero bar.

If you look at the standard clamp on something like a pair of Profile Carbon Strykes, there is no way that is not going to cause a stress riser (especially if you use the shims to use it on a 26.0 bar -- vs. a larger 31.8). It is not a function of being careful or anything like that, it is just that the clip-on part of the clip-on aerobars is just not designed to apply force as evenly as a stem. In the same way, you see that some stems don't work well with carbon bars if they "pinch" in certain areas.

Also, there are lots of lightweight bars that do not have a lot of material to support aerobars of any kind. I do believe there are carbon bars that are not "approved" for clip-ons that would work fine with certain clip-on bars. HOWEVER, I would definitely say stick to bars that are approved for general clip-on use. There are now plenty of them on the market.

If you are looking to retrofit and not buy new bars, I can imagine a scenario where you maybe wrap the bars with several layers of electrical tape or something else in an attempt to protect the carbon, but I would definitely NOT recommend that.

The real problem is that if you use bars that are not approved for clip-ons, you really don't know what is happening. Since carbon fails in a rather dramatic fashion -- "explosion," for lack of a better term -- I don't think you would want to risk it.

Downhill racers survived riding on regular sized axles and less burly equipment, but that doesn't mean that it was a good idea. :)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some manufacturers say specifically NOT to use a certain model carbon bar with clip-ons. If they make clip-on compatible ones they will say so on their website. Kestrel and Easton are examples.

I agree with Rappstar that if you don't know for sure then don't do it.
Quote Reply