Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainerRoad no longer providing LTHR during FTP test?
Quote | Reply
Did the 2x8' FTP test this morning after getting back on the bike beginning of Sept. Very happy with my results but I noticed at the end of the workout, I didn't get a notice regarding LTHR increasing or decreasing. When I last tested in September, I was provided with that data.

Anybody know what's going on with that? And if they aren't doing LTHR anymore, is there a way I can calculate mine from my FTP test? Does anyone remember how they used to calculate it? I want to make sure I'm using proper heart rate zones during training. (I know power is more important, but I like to have accurate HR data also.)
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad no longer providing LTHR during FTP test? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Did the 2x8' FTP test this morning after getting back on the bike beginning of Sept. Very happy with my results but I noticed at the end of the workout, I didn't get a notice regarding LTHR increasing or decreasing. When I last tested in September, I was provided with that data.

Anybody know what's going on with that? And if they aren't doing LTHR anymore, is there a way I can calculate mine from my FTP test? Does anyone remember how they used to calculate it? I want to make sure I'm using proper heart rate zones during training. (I know power is more important, but I like to have accurate HR data also.)

Hey there!

We’ve chosen to drop the LTHR metric because we don’t view it as a metric that helps cyclists get faster.

We exclusively use power as our primary training metric because it’s objective. Considering the large number of factors that influence heart rate (sleep, stress, diet, dehydration, fatigue, caffeine, etc.) we’re hardpressed to put much faith behind using LTHR as a reliable measure for our muscular metabolic capabilities.

While heart rate is still useful to inform riders the strain on their body, there are too many external variables that can influence its validity. So, we’ve decided to avoid any unnecessary confusion and move forward by only providing our athletes with power-based metrics.

All that being said, if you want to calculate your LTHR, you will calculate it in the same way that you would calculate FTP. That is, for the 8 Min Test, you will take the average HR for the two tests and multiply by 0.9 :)

Happy training!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad no longer providing LTHR during FTP test? [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

Hey there!

We’ve chosen to drop the LTHR metric because we don’t view it as a metric that helps cyclists get faster.

We exclusively use power as our primary training metric because it’s objective. Considering the large number of factors that influence heart rate (sleep, stress, diet, dehydration, fatigue, caffeine, etc.) we’re hardpressed to put much faith behind using LTHR as a reliable measure for our muscular metabolic capabilities.

While heart rate is still useful to inform riders the strain on their body, there are too many external variables that can influence its validity. So, we’ve decided to avoid any unnecessary confusion and move forward by only providing our athletes with power-based metrics.

All that being said, if you want to calculate your LTHR, you will calculate it in the same way that you would calculate FTP. That is, for the 8 Min Test, you will take the average HR for the two tests and multiply by 0.9 :)

Happy training!

Thanks, Bryce!
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad no longer providing LTHR during FTP test? [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

We exclusively use power as our primary training metric because it’s objective.

Just pointing out that HR is completely objective.

I understand the rationale, though, that it doesn't correlate directly and consistently with performance like power does.
Quote Reply