Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are there different versions of the Conti GP TT tire?
Quote | Reply
Trying to find a deal on this tire and see different sellers using different descriptions....."limited edition"....."folding". Since the tire has been out for a while, anyone know if there are any differences in the tire depending on production date?
Quote Reply
Re: Are there different versions of the Conti GP TT tire? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure there's only one version - and two widths: 23 and 25 mm. For some reason they're called Limited Edition and are all folding tires (i.e. a clincher tire without a wire bead).
Quote Reply
Re: Are there different versions of the Conti GP TT tire? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the limited edition ones and regular ones and they are the same... I think there's some tom foolery going on with the Supersonic though.... I ordered those and received rebadged TTs

gphin305 wrote:
Trying to find a deal on this tire and see different sellers using different descriptions....."limited edition"....."folding". Since the tire has been out for a while, anyone know if there are any differences in the tire depending on production date?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Are there different versions of the Conti GP TT tire? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I have the limited edition ones and regular ones and they are the same... I think there's some tom foolery going on with the Supersonic though.... I ordered those and received rebadged TTs

gphin305 wrote:

The SS changed about this time last year. That is how it comes now. I guess the only thing to do is slice it open and see if the Vectran breaker is NOT present.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Are there different versions of the Conti GP TT tire? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob Gray ordered and received the old new SS tire from Europe, so maybe they're still in production. Conti's website says they are based on the picture they have for the SS.

As for the TT, no need to cut them open, although you may be right, the SS is just a TT with no breaker belt, or perhaps that's what the TT "special edition" are too.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

gphin305 wrote:

The SS changed about this time last year. That is how it comes now. I guess the only thing to do is slice it open and see if the Vectran breaker is NOT present.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
From what I've seen buying these tires, the 25mm version is called limited edition. At least I've only gotten the 25mm version with that label, and have never seen it on the 23's I've bought.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there different versions of the Conti GP TT tire? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

From what I've seen buying these tires, the 25mm version is called limited edition. At least I've only gotten the 25mm version with that label, and have never seen it on the 23's I've bought.

Thanks for reply. I've emailed both the Ebay seller and Conti directly with no response from either. Hate to take a chance without knowing in case this "limited edition" doesn't have the velcran puncture protection. The seller has a picture of the box that confirms it's a 23mm version with a red "limited edition" across the top. What was the difference with the 25mm version you bought? Did it have the puncture protection band?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
jsk wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

Thanks for reply. I've emailed both the Ebay seller and Conti directly with no response from either. Hate to take a chance without knowing in case this "limited edition" doesn't have the velcran puncture protection. The seller has a picture of the box that confirms it's a 23mm version with a red "limited edition" across the top. What was the difference with the 25mm version you bought? Did it have the puncture protection band?

I would not worry about the limited edition label. This comes on both sizes and is just packaging. I think it is holdover from the early releases of this model. I've been running them since they were first offered. Conti hasn't changed the GP TT except to add the 25c model.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there different versions of the Conti GP TT tire? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
jsk wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

I would not worry about the limited edition label. This comes on both sizes and is just packaging. I think it is holdover from the early releases of this model. I've been running them since they were first offered. Conti hasn't changed the GP TT except to add the 25c model.

Well, I thought that might be the case. Personally, I'd like to buy a pair that hasn't been sitting around folded up for 6-7 years when the tire was first introduced...or should that be a concern? Should date of manufacture be an issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
SummitAK wrote:

Well, I thought that might be the case. Personally, I'd like to buy a pair that hasn't been sitting around folded up for 6-7 years when the tire was first introduced...or should that be a concern? Should date of manufacture be an issue?

I haven't worried about this aspect of the GP TT as it hasn't been around long or produced in high quantities. But this will be difficult to control when ordering. If you buy from one of the big overseas sellers such as ProBikeKit, these tires go in and out of inventory regularly, so you'll likely be getting newer production output unless there are huge quantities of older production tires at the supplier's.

It may be that the packaging is irrelevant to the tire production date. I have a number of these tires at home, but can't check production dates on the tires as I am currently on vacation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, I just ordered a pair of these tires from an Ebay seller who confirmed the manufacture date is 4316, which is the 43rd week of 2016. $95 for the pair.....no tax....free shipping. The original box has the red "limited edition" banner. Never heard from Conti customer service regarding the connotation of "limited edition" .....since the tire first came out in 2011. Who knows (but still curious)..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
FYI, I just ordered a pair of these tires from an Ebay seller who confirmed the manufacture date is 4316, which is the 43rd week of 2016. $95 for the pair.....no tax....free shipping. The original box has the red "limited edition" banner. Never heard from Conti customer service regarding the connotation of "limited edition" .....since the tire first came out in 2011. Who knows (but still curious)..

I'll check when back home. I bought some within the last couple months and thought they were still boxed with the limited edition flagging.

I haven't seen Conti bicycle tires with manufacturing date listed by week and year. I guess I could have missed it on the box or tire. Week/year is typically DOT style for passenger car tires. The Conti bike tire dates I've used have the production factory, month of quarter and year listed on the sidewall as described here: https://www.continental-tires.com/...aq/tyre-construction
Quote Reply
Re: Are there different versions of the Conti GP TT tire? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

I'll check when back home. I bought some within the last couple months and thought they were still boxed with the limited edition flagging.

I haven't seen Conti bicycle tires with manufacturing date listed by week and year. I guess I could have missed it on the box or tire. Week/year is typically DOT style for passenger car tires. The Conti bike tire dates I've used have the production factory, month of quarter and year listed on the sidewall as described here: https://www.continental-tires.com/...aq/tyre-construction

FYI, as a follow-up, a Conti rep did answer my email inquiry. He confirmed there is no difference between boxes marked with a red "limited edition" banner.....simply a marketing strategy.
Quote Reply