Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Netherlands - Running on the bike path?
Quote | Reply
Dutch Slowtwitchers: I am enjoying a few days at a conference in Bergen, Netherlands. I've also been enjoying early morning runs on the beautifully maintained bike paths, but have been told by a few people that I shouldn't be doing that. Is this true, and I'm now doomed to Dutch Hell for having done so? The only other option is to run in the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Netherlands - Running on the bike path? [benroc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If no one Dutch answers I'll ping my Brit cousin. He and his London crew take a ferry across and ride in Netherlands all the time. They may know.
Quote Reply
Re: Netherlands - Running on the bike path? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm not too worried about it; there aren't a ton of people out when I'm running. Just curious what the etiquette is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are The Netherlands and we do have rules. Nobody abides by them however. I don't know the situation in Bergen, but in general it's not a problem at all to run on the bike paths. Just be aware of the cyclists and you're going to be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Netherlands - Running on the bike path? [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The paths are really amazing here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benroc wrote:
The only other option is to run in the road.

That sound's highly unlikely to me.

Maybe you would have to make a 'huge' detour?
Last edited by: windschatten: Nov 6, 17 21:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uit het Reglement verkeersregels en verkeerstekens, artikel 4:
1. Voetgangers gebruiken het trottoir of het voetpad.
2. Zij gebruiken het fietspad of het fiets/bromfietspad indien trottoir en voetpad ontbreken.
3. Zij gebruiken de berm of de uiterste zijde van de rijbaan, indien ook een fietspad of een fiets/bromfietspad ontbreekt

1 means you have to use the foot path
2 means you have to use the bike path if there is no foot path
3 means you use the shoulder or edge ofthe road if there is no foot or bike path.
Quote Reply
Re: Netherlands - Running on the bike path? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here it looks like bike path, road, or nothing
Quote Reply
Re: Netherlands - Running on the bike path? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very helpful, thanks. Looks like everything here is category (2).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said before, if there is no footpath, you can use the bikepath. But if youŕe in Bergen, go run in the dunes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Often the bikelanes are 2-way, than run on the left side (against traffic) so you can't be 'hit' by cyclists coming from behind.

Not sure which 'Bergen' you are, I guess te one close to the sea. If so, run north to Schoorl, there is a visitorcentre from which you can run beautifull loops (5 till 19km and everything in between if I remember correctly). You run through forests (and dunes if you take the longer routes), no tarmac, but good solid paths.

Enjoy :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from the Netherlands.

I do +95% of my running on the bike paths. I think most people do it. Just make sure you are visible and put on some lights when it's dark.

Just avoid the morning hours when all the kids are biking to school or in the evening when everyone is getting home form work. Then you should be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Netherlands - Running on the bike path? [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to you and others who have suggested running the dunes. I will have to sneak out of my meeting so I can do that in daylight. It's definitely a beautiful place.
Quote Reply
Re: Netherlands - Running on the bike path? [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IvarAlmere wrote:
I'm from the Netherlands.

I do +95% of my running on the bike paths. I think most people do it. Just make sure you are visible and put on some lights when it's dark.

Just avoid the morning hours when all the kids are biking to school or in the evening when everyone is getting home form work. Then you should be fine.

Not to derail, but I'm going to Schiedam at the end of the year. Any idea of running routes there? Thanks!
Quote Reply