Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What was your peak CTL for your 140.6 PR?
Quote | Reply
I’m curious to see what kind of numbers people are hitting for peak CTL in an Ironman build. Specifically for performances in which they have PR’d. S+B+R total and in the individual sports.
Quote Reply
Re: What was your peak CTL for your 140.6 PR? [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll play. Leading into IMWI this year I peaked out with these numbers:
Total tss 133
Swim tss 25
Bike was 71
Run tss 47

I'm not sure what nuggets of useful info you might gain from that, there's a whole lot more that goes into how an athlete performs than their tss numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: What was your peak CTL for your 140.6 PR? [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, Ktri. I enjoyed your Louisville race report. Impressive performance and progression. I’m not even really sure what “nuggets” I’m looking for. It’s curiosity I guess. This is my first year using Training Peaks and it would be nice to see some benchmarks. I’d be interested to see if there was any correlation with CTL and people that go sub 10 regularly. I realize that CTL is only one piece of the puzzle and there are several ways to arrive at the same CTL. What was your FTP/ weight heading into Louisville?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tss numbers I gave were leading into IMWI, not IMLou. IMLou was about 10 total points lower. I estimate my ftp/kg to be around 4.1w/kg.
I would guess that there is a very strong connection between an athletes tss peak and their performance. A simple mistake can ruin a race for a well trained athlete, but an undertrained athlete will only be able to produce so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to benchmark CTL and results Jim Vance has a lot of info on what he has seen with a bunch of athletes of all levels in his Tri2.0 book. Recommended if you are into CTL data.
Quote Reply
Re: What was your peak CTL for your 140.6 PR? [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fwiw, Lionel Sanders was 180 something before Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: What was your peak CTL for your 140.6 PR? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm soft. 155
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wondered this too. The numbers above look huge to me:

S: 11 [53:42]
B: 26 (with a peak of 45) [5:22:24]
R: 29 [4:28:23]

Combined: 66

Edit: (I didn't read the quesiton properly), above value are day before. Peak Combined 79 CTL.

With this I managed to go 10:49:13 in my first ever IM dist race (smaller local race (The Lakesman) in the Lake District, North England).

I come from an endurance swim background (bordering on International level) and my run is my weakest discipline. Been doing triathlon for ~5 years, mostly sprint until last year when I stepped up to my 1st half prior to my full this year in June.

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Last edited by: PrimalSteve: Nov 7, 17 5:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregarious wrote:
I’m curious to see what kind of numbers people are hitting for peak CTL in an Ironman build. Specifically for performances in which they have PR’d. S+B+R total and in the individual sports.

My peak CTL was also 155

Did IMChatt and then IMFla 6 weeks later. Both races went really well

https://www.strava.com/athletes/773280
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/
teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply