Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LTHR from FTP test?
Quote | Reply
I started a new base phase on TR last night by doing the 20 minute FTP test. If I take my average heart rate from the actual 20 minute segment of the test, is that my new LTHR or do I also multiply that by 0.95?
Quote Reply
Re: LTHR from FTP test? [mediocreat3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the HR from the test is higher than Threshold as a 20min test is done over threshold.
Multiplying by .95 or whatever number you pull out of a hat is an ESTIMATION, based on an average of riders, if you are one of them great, it will make a reasonable prediction.
But if you make a bunch of power short term or if you make buggerall extra short term then the estimation will not be accurate.

The amount of the error MAY be enough to completely change any workout you are doing to something different, or it may not.

The only thing you can be certain of is that your threshold HR is lower than what you held for 20min.
How much depends on your own personal physiology and not formulas.
Quote Reply
Re: LTHR from FTP test? [mediocreat3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also did an FTP test at the weekend and only then noticed that TR have basically expunged all references to HR from their website and app; don't know when this happened but now there seems to be no references to LTHR or any zones on the workout reviews. It doesn't bother me too much, but seems like a bit of a retrograde step; I'm sure some people found it useful, but I'm guessing maybe it generated a lot of support requests?

FWIW, TrainingPeaks gave me a notification that I'd set a new LTHR value and that value is 95% of my 20-min test interval average HR, so make of that what you will! That doesn't seem to correlate with Joe Friel's recommendation though, he says do a 30 min test-interval and take the average HR for the last 20, to eliminate that warm-up period. I dunno about you, but I'm sure my value from the Friel method would be significantly higher than 95% of a straight-up 20 min test average.
Quote Reply
Re: LTHR from FTP test? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to look up "buggerall"
Quote Reply