Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long to recover aerobic fitness after blood loss?
Quote | Reply
Relax. I got doctors already looking into why this happened and what's going on, if anything. But they can't answer this question.

I was kicking butt all this summer and fall in a run-up to IMAZ. Running 7 min/mile, riding 100 miles every week and actually picking up speed last 20 miles and practically flying back home. I wouldn't even feel tired after.

Until this past Tuesday I was running just 4 miles at about 7 min/mile. About 5 minutes into the run felt like I had to pee pretty badly. But to my horror it was all blood. It went on once an hour for about 12 hours from that evening to following morning, and then it mysteriously stopped just like it mysteriously started. Dr says no stones, no UTI, probably exercise induced hematuria (a condition known to medical science). Anyway this is not a diagnosis question. I just swam easy next three days and then tried biking and running. Discovered that I lost huge chunks of aerobic fitness. Was holding just 260W up the climb in Watopia for just 5 minutes before being compelled to get off the bike and hyperventilate for good 30 seconds. Tried again 300W and after 1 minute I was getting dizzy. Holy shit. Running is also affected. Can just about hold 8 min/mile now, no faster, and I feel tired and worn out after 40 minute runs.

IMAZ is in 2 weeks?! Panic!

The blood episode hasn't come back btw and it probably won't.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover aerobic fitness after blood loss? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if some of the fatigue is not the blood loss, but the training fatigue catching up with you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover aerobic fitness after blood loss? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a small amount of blood (relatively) can make dye the color of your urine to red, especially if your urine is already darkish or so to begin with. Maybe you haven't lost as much blood as you think? Maybe you're fighting a cold or some sort of sickness. In which case, 2 weeks should be enough to recover.

As for significant blood loss or blood donation, i've heard people say it can take them ~3 month to feel back to normal which makes sense as red blood cells has a turn over rate of ~120 days but turns over faster in athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover aerobic fitness after blood loss? [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea how much blood you lost?
RBC's live about 100 days plus or minus.
Here in the US you can donate a pint every 8 weeks.
Your body replaces that pint in about 28 days, the 8 weeks is a safety margin.
Me, I don't work out hard for about 3 days, mostly because of that large guage hole.
I feel a bit off for 7-10 days or so, then I forgot I gave blood.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar thing happen to me this summer, I was fine in about a week.
ETA: I also upped my hydration and electrolyte intake too.
Last edited by: rs1852: Nov 5, 17 21:50
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover aerobic fitness after blood loss? [rs1852] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. I found a relevant study on NIH site.

https://www.nih.gov/...globin-recovery-time

I'm pretty sure I lost a fair bit of blood. That's why I had to get up every hour all night long to go to the bathroom. I don't usually get up at night like that. I'm guessing endurance athletes fall into high iron group, so with supplementation the levels would return in 4 weeks. I had a bit less than 3..... At this point so much crap has happened (cold or flu 5 times this year, inflamed big toe joint, then Achilles tendonitis, then this) I'm happy to finish the swim and the bike all right and if I have to walk some of the marathon that's fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's easy to imagine small amounts of blood showing up in urine, and looking scary. I'm having a hard time imagining large volumes of blood (liters) being lost that way, barring some sort of major internal trauma. Did the doctors confirm this notion that large quantities of blood may have been lost?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having suffered a massive loss of red blood cells, haemoglobin, due to sickness also, I would go into the race with the primary goal of just enjoying the day and being out there having fun. It is just amazing how much your red blood cell count affects performance and endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover aerobic fitness after blood loss? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Did they draw labs? Check your hemoglobin level?
If they were concerned about the amount they would have. And if there was a significant drop they would have told you. I am guessing it looked like more than it actually was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how much blood you lost and how many blood bags you have in the fridge.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover aerobic fitness after blood loss? [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About a month...whenever I donate blood...I can feel the effects for 3 - 4 weeks. Very noticeable in the first week. Then isn't bad thereafter but somewhat noticeable.
Quote Reply