Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do you cover valve hole with on Disc
Quote | Reply
What do you all use to cover the valve hole on your disc wheel? Yes, the wheel is expensive....and yes I care that a zipp sticker is $1....that seems absurd. Also, I have noticed that installing the sticker on race morning....when there is dew or humidity in the air doesn't work very well....so looking for something with more adhesion.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you cover valve hole with on Disc [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a piece of "Angry Birds" duct tape. Just cuz it's funny :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3M heavy duty clear packing tape.

I’ve found I can reapply it for several races, and since I leave it on, the disc surface is dew-free.

The tape is also good for securing race numbers to the frame with no gap, no flap.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our team is sponsored by the Great Divide brewery, so I use their yeti beer stickers.

Clear plastic tape is also one of the best options
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unusued morning clothes bag (or special needs, whatever) number tag sticker for the IM races or clear 3M scotch tape. I used duct tape on my older disc but it definitely leaves a bunch of sticky gunk around, so definitely don't recommend that.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you cover valve hole with on Disc [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a neat little cover that fastens with a hex bolt and contains a magnet.

Here: http://www.racewaredirect.co/...c-valve-hole-covers/

Not the quickest thing to open, admittedly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gorilla tape. It leaves a slight residue, but comes off with a quick wipe of simple green. It comes off fairly easy but can restick a bunch of times. It definitely won't flap around in the wind and is a good thing to have handy.

Although, I like the angry birds tape. That is hilarious.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you cover valve hole with on Disc [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. Black Gorilla tape; I’ve changed it maybe three times all year and I leave my disc on my main bike pretty much all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use electrical tape. Have a roll the is 3" wide.

Now I use vinyl tape that is in a carbon pattern. It doesn't leave a sitcky residue and matches my disc look. Cost less than $5 for a 1'x5' sheet (but it took forever to get it as it shipped using the cheapest economy service from China).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black duct tape from Dollar General.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Caution tape.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the cost of leaving it uncovered? It is more psychological or is it like shaving the arms impact?
Quote Reply
Re: What do you cover valve hole with on Disc [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
What the cost of leaving it uncovered? It is more psychological or is it like shaving the arms impact?

For years I always covered the hole. This past year I didn't bother and posted several top amateur bike splits - not really sure it has any sort of aero penalty to not cover it. Maybe something for the folks at Specialized to test in their 'Win Tunnel' ??

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: What do you cover valve hole with on Disc [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another....black gorilla tape....minimal residue if you take it off right away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
What do you all use to cover the valve hole on your disc wheel? Yes, the wheel is expensive....and yes I care that a zipp sticker is $1....that seems absurd. Also, I have noticed that installing the sticker on race morning....when there is dew or humidity in the air doesn't work very well....so looking for something with more adhesion.

Have we talked about 3m aluminum foil tape? Before that I used 3m extreme strapping tape. Both have VERY GOOD adhesion even on moist mornings, but the benefit of:

foil backed tape: is that you cut a season worth of strips and keep them ready to go for race day.

extreme strapping: It is extremely strong with a carbon fiber like mesh. I feel this is more likely to hold its shape as the wind presses against it, where as other tapes will bend into the rim. Obviously hard to measure but eyeball test would say the flush tape is more aero if you are that much of a geek to care, which I know you are ;)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: What do you cover valve hole with on Disc [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

For years I always covered the hole. This past year I didn't bother and posted several top amateur bike splits - not really sure it has any sort of aero penalty to not cover it. Maybe something for the folks at Specialized to test in their 'Win Tunnel' ??

Thanks. Interesting to know how important it is to cover it.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you cover valve hole with on Disc [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
http://flocycling.blogspot.ca/2016/03/flo-cycling-does-covering-valve-cutout.html?m=1

8 seconds over an IM distance? Ok, that is a lot less that I thought!
Quote Reply
Re: What do you cover valve hole with on Disc [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do you cover valve hole with on Disc [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for black duct tape.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: What do you cover valve hole with on Disc [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caveat - depends on the disc:
https://www.parcours.cc/...d-in-the-wind-tunnel

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duct tape here too.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seldom use the “special needs” bags at Ironman brand races. So I use one of the bag stickers. The wheel hole is covered and I have and extra ID sticker on my bike. Save any leftovers for non-IM races. I don’t want two different numbers on the bike so as to avoid any problems.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clear packing tape
Quote Reply