Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how do I go about finding a coach?
Quote | Reply
I never planned to have a coach, but after a less than stellar result at my first 70.3, I'd like to try something different for IMTX which I just signed up for (will be first full). Not planning to be fast, just get what I can out of myself and be happy with my time. When a training block goes off the rails due to illness or injury, I want better advice on how to recover in the next block. Stuff like that.

So I'm thinking about going the coaching route since I can talk myself into taking the easy route any time it's available. Pre packaged online plan was okay, but I know there's a lot more that can be tailored to me.

Where do I start? I'm in the Woodlands and see coaches advertising at every race. But I'm not going to choose one just because the name is familiar due to advertising. Does a coach need to be local? Where does one research to see who's reputable?
Quote Reply
Re: how do I go about finding a coach? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say "absolutely not" does a coach have to be local. Start with the search function here on ST. Many good coaches add to the discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word of mouth is probably the best. Talk to friends, see if they have had any luck. I've had three coaches, the worst was actually a local teammate. Surprisingly I had more success with online coaches. I've been with my current coach for two years with much success. Make a list of a few coaches who come recommended and the interview them. It needs to be a good fit on both ends... it's not quite a marriage, but it can be pretty damn close so it's important you're on the same page.
Quote Reply
Re: how do I go about finding a coach? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured word of mouth was big, but I'm not really very social in the local triathlon scene. Kind of picked up the hobby on my own. Most friends are hunting and fishing (my old hobbies that I've put in hold) and think im crazy when I bring up tri stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Where do I start? I'm in the Woodlands and see coaches advertising at every race. But I'm not going to choose one just because the name is familiar due to advertising. Does a coach need to be local? Where does one research to see who's reputable?

I think you need to decide a few things:

First, is probably budget. How much do you want to spend per month? There is a wide range of price points.

Second, what are your needs and goals? Do you need someone to observe workouts (swim or track workouts)? Do you want to talk to the coach once per week? Are you ok with just email communication? Then are you goals to just get faster, win your AG at a local race, qualify for Kona? And how much work are you willing to put in vs how much free time do you have?

Once you decide those two things, start with 1) word of mouth, 2) slowtwitch coaching directory 3) USAT directory of coachs (note: just because they are a USAT coach doesn't make them good; USAT level 1 is just a weekend class that anyone can do). And they don't have to be local.

Interview the coaches you find and share your goals and listen to how they plan to help you get there.

Also, don't overlook simply posting what your training and race results looked like and asking for slowtwitch wisdom. Sometimes, it's a simple fix (like pacing or nutrition) and maybe you don't need to spend money on a coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the way you find a coach is the same as you go about anything... you talk to them, ask questions, do your due diligence, see if there's chemistry and good mutual communication.

You've already gotten past the hard part, ie. deciding to get a coach, and just in time too. Next is to reach out and talk to some people.

good luck

KG6 wrote:
I never planned to have a coach, but after a less than stellar result at my first 70.3, I'd like to try something different for IMTX which I just signed up for (will be first full). Not planning to be fast, just get what I can out of myself and be happy with my time. When a training block goes off the rails due to illness or injury, I want better advice on how to recover in the next block. Stuff like that.

So I'm thinking about going the coaching route since I can talk myself into taking the easy route any time it's available. Pre packaged online plan was okay, but I know there's a lot more that can be tailored to me.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: how do I go about finding a coach? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will only add that the interview or initial conversation is a two way street.

IE not like shopping around for a car. Good coaches in high demand might have 5-6 athletes applying for 2-3 positions.

Red flags are the overtly eager coach looking to sign you up for 12 months after a 5 minute conversation.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: how do I go about finding a coach? [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, don't overlook simply posting what your training and race results looked like and asking for slowtwitch wisdom. Sometimes, it's a simple fix (like pacing or nutrition) and maybe you don't need to spend money on a coach.

I probably wouldn't go with a coach for additional 70.3's. My result was due to being a little undertrained, racing a week later than expected, and the course being much more hilly than expected (NOLA to Austun). I finished realizing I left a lot in the tank as well. So I know where I can improve and would be willing to try some things on my own.

But this might be my only full. At least for a while as work, kids, life, etc. probably only give me enough time for training for half distance long term. So I just want to do it right. Don't want to learn things on that first attemot that I could know going in. And the biggest advice I need is feedback during training. Race day advice is huge, but feedback on training and updating the plan where needed would be something I need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train mostly by myself too, most of my friends think the Ironman thing is crazy as well. I'm just getting back into triathlon, and Ironman training after an 18 year break (long story) I used an online coach then, but this time I'm going to buy pre-packaged 24-week training program offered through Training Peaks. The coach/designer of the program is accessible through email for questions and help.

That maybe another option/route to go.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Re: how do I go about finding a coach? [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
I say "absolutely not" does a coach have to be local. Start with the search function here on ST. Many good coaches add to the discussion.

Agree - Lionel's coach is available!
Quote Reply