Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1x Drivetrain for IM Arizona (or do you use the small chainring for this course)?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I´ll be participating in the IM Arizona in about two weeks and almost 6 months ago I have changed to a 1x Drivetrain (Sram Force 1 crankset with etap wifli RD). I am so far very satisfied with this change since I have ridden and competed on quite flat areas. I use mostly a 54 t chainring and 11-28 cassette, in the past I used a 53t chainring. I chose the 54t because my chainline is with the 1x drivetrain more often “straighter” than with a 52t chainring (in other words, I do not have the ego nor power to ride often at 54/11…). I have nevertheless also a 52t chainring and 11-32 cassette available as options. I tend to avoid the use of the 11-32 cassette because I dislike the existing gap between the 15 and 17t cogs, it seems that I ride regularly on those 3 cogs (15, 16 and 17t). My IM bike splits are commonly just under 5 hours and my NP is at about 225W for this distance.

And now my question for you all and for those who know the bike course of the IM Arizona : Do you ever change to the small chainring in the 6 mile slight uphill section of this bike course? And considering the above mentioned, what drivetrain combo would you recommend for this race?

Many thanks in advance for your input! Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Drivetrain for IM Arizona (or do you use the small chainring for this course)? [matimati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'll be fine with your current set up. You might be in the 26, maybe, if there is a head wind on the rolling uphill parts, maybe.

At your speeds if you need the 28 something is going very, very wrong

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 3, 17 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Drivetrain for IM Arizona (or do you use the small chainring for this course)? [matimati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a much weaker cyclist than you and I never used the small chainring the last time I did IMAZ.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past 2 years that I did IMAZ, I never went to the small chainring.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Drivetrain for IM Arizona (or do you use the small chainring for this course)? [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Many thanks for your replies! I’ll stick to 54t and 11-28 đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
Last edited by: matimati: Nov 3, 17 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matimati wrote:
Hi,

I´ll be participating in the IM Arizona in about two weeks and almost 6 months ago I have changed to a 1x Drivetrain (Sram Force 1 crankset with etap wifli RD). I am so far very satisfied with this change since I have ridden and competed on quite flat areas. I use mostly a 54 t chainring and 11-28 cassette, in the past I used a 53t chainring. I chose the 54t because my chainline is with the 1x drivetrain more often “straighter” than with a 52t chainring (in other words, I do not have the ego nor power to ride often at 54/11…). I have nevertheless also a 52t chainring and 11-32 cassette available as options. I tend to avoid the use of the 11-32 cassette because I dislike the existing gap between the 15 and 17t cogs, it seems that I ride regularly on those 3 cogs (15, 16 and 17t). My IM bike splits are commonly just under 5 hours and my NP is at about 225W for this distance.

And now my question for you all and for those who know the bike course of the IM Arizona : Do you ever change to the small chainring in the 6 mile slight uphill section of this bike course? And considering the above mentioned, what drivetrain combo would you recommend for this race?

Many thanks in advance for your input! Cheers

I used a 54-25, 162.5mm crankset at 155lb last year at AZ without any problems. AP was about 235 IIRC.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2016 I rode 5:05 on NP 224W, never used small chainring, front was 52/36 and read 11/23.
It was a perfect set up for me.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x Drivetrain for IM Arizona (or do you use the small chainring for this course)? [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the best wheel setup for this race? 808 front / disc rear, or 606?
Quote Reply