Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone else get into the S.O.S. Triathlon? (Survival of the Shawangunks)?
Quote | Reply
I got in! I'm every excited for this race! Anyone else doing it?

If anyone has done it in the past, how did you carry your shoes during the swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get into the S.O.S. Triathlon? (Survival of the Shawangunks)? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:
I got in! I'm every excited for this race! Anyone else doing it?

If anyone has done it in the past, how did you carry your shoes during the swim?

I stuffed them down the back of my shorts, one down each leg. Worked well but wear two pairs of tri/bike shorts to avoid getting any grit in sensitive places. Make sure the outer pair is flexible enough to accommodate the shoes being stuffed into them.

Many get to the third swim and then can't be bothered to remove their shoes again or worry about cramping getting them back on after the swim. I did exactly this and regretted it. I swam much slower with the shoes on.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get into the S.O.S. Triathlon? (Survival of the Shawangunks)? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had the details filled in and an alarm set. The page reloaded when I clicked submit. It was sold out when I refreshed.

(womp womp)

2019 it is.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got in, looking forward to it! Anyone recommend places to stay in the area?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get into the S.O.S. Triathlon? (Survival of the Shawangunks)? [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in and I just ran a marathon in the pouring rain. I guess it was good run training. I'm pumped!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get into the S.O.S. Triathlon? (Survival of the Shawangunks)? [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race. Beautiful course, well run and the best post race food you’ll find anywhere. Echo the comments above - I put on a second layer of tri shorts after bike and stuck my shoes on the back of my legs between the layers. I wore socks throughout. Practiced without socks and got blisters on a long training run.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get into the S.O.S. Triathlon? (Survival of the Shawangunks)? [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:
I got in, looking forward to it! Anyone recommend places to stay in the area?

I planned to get up and sign up and just forgot, ha. I guess there is the charity option. Anyhow, we stayed at the Mohonk Mountain House when we did it. If you can swing the cost then that is definitely the place to stay.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Set alarm and got in! Guess I was lucky. Wondering how cold water will be and if I need a shorty wet suit. Sounds so fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get into the S.O.S. Triathlon? (Survival of the Shawangunks)? [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that. Next year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for #3

I just jumped in, took the shoes off in the water, and put them together and held them between my legs like a pull buoy. Zoot ultras. About waist deep out them back on, run out of the water and you’re off. Put shoes on in the water to avoid rocks and dirt etc.

Whatever you do just practice first and see what works.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get into the S.O.S. Triathlon? (Survival of the Shawangunks)? [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope so!

S.O.S. is actually a hometown race for me and I've wanted to do it since before I learned to swim or started racing triathlon. I'm biased since I'm from there but the Hudson Valley is a beautiful area -- if I can help with any logistics or recommendations let me know. I hope y'all have a great time.

And Chris, I'll be pestering you to include me in some swim/run training here in SoCal.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get into the S.O.S. Triathlon? (Survival of the Shawangunks)? [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need to get you into that race
Quote Reply