Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed concept hands down
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
The P3 started the war, so has to be near the top of the list, but the Trek Speed Concept is the best Tri bike ever made:

Aero? Check...one of, if not the, best
Highly adjustable to fit a variety of athlete's? Check
Lots of storage options? Check
Build options? Check and then some
Handling? Check
Great warranty & customer service? Check

Maybe a few tenths off for "travelability" and LBS knowledge, but it's far enough ahead in all other areas to not effect the outcome.

Time and time again, the lowest CdA's we see are on this bike. After several years of testing and getting those results, there's no denying it's tough to beat.

Tough to argue with that. The 2014 revision still has the best cockpit in the industry IMO and with the plug in mono extension, Premier Bike case, and electronic shifting it's actually easy enough to travel with.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the new Felt IAs?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Forgive me if this has been covered on here before. But I'm curious as to what everyone considers to be the best all-time Tri bike ever made. I hear so many stories of people going back from P5 to P 4 or even the p3c. So what's open it up to everyone and see if we can get a consensus on the best all-time try bike ever made.

Bikes for their era, I think the P3 is a no brainer.

Kudos to the Shiv leading the development of TT bikes into Tri bikes.

All-time best tri bike I think is the P5-6 and after all of these years it is still the benchmark for top end TT and Tri bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shiv was and continues to be successful release
Any quintana roo models that are holding strong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I guess, quintaa roo started the fit revoution
cervelo the aero war.
and the speed concept pushed the envolpe to the next level
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed here on SC, but probably the SC gen 2.

I'd also put a check on available aftermarket parts. I find it so easy and relatively cheap to find extra parts for my SC - screws, handlebar grips, etc..Also, the ability to use wider tryes.

The P3 definitely started the aero wars and had a great first mover advantage. SC refined all the features the Shiv did for tri which have become table stakes. Look at the newish QR, BMC, etc..all similar feature set as the SC. I think the P5X went a little further adjusting for Round Bottles, which could save some time for an IM distance and just easier to manage. But for 3x the price of a P3, I can't see how that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P3C, Specialized Shiv and the Trek Speedconcept are all first ballot Hall of Famers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P3C if you've got the nuts to drill that top tube. I am replacing mine never. In fact, due to a (tiny) crack in the frame near the seat post, I would probably be due a warranty replacement but I'm sticking with it because the geometry on the NP3 is shit. And anyway, the warranty will have expired when I improved the shift cable routing with my drill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
The P3 started the war, so has to be near the top of the list, but the Trek Speed Concept is the best Tri bike ever made.

Great points! The 2nd gen is ridiculous and it's hard time find people that don't love theirs.

I hope when we pick this thread back up in a couple years, the Premier Tactical makes the short list. While I'm no Jim Manton, I was wicked impressed by that thing. Once that rear storage lid is figured out (and possibly a nice frame storage option too?) it will be darn near perfect. A 3rd gen Speed Concept will probably blow our minds though.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least have that crack looked at by a carbon repair place. Riding cracked carbon is not a good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P3C

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
At least have that crack looked at by a carbon repair place. Riding cracked carbon is not a good idea.

Agreed, except when it is OK. I have a small hairline crack in the upper portion of the seat post of my 2010 Giant Advanced Trinity SL-1. Its been inspected and I have been riding it that way for OVER 3 years now. Raced it just this month and will be racing it again at USAT Nats (Miami Man) in 12 days. I'm not sure what caused it, but it is stable and not growing...and I check that regularly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
P3C if you've got the nuts to drill that top tube. I am replacing mine never. In fact, due to a (tiny) crack in the frame near the seat post, I would probably be due a warranty replacement but I'm sticking with it because the geometry on the NP3 is shit. And anyway, the warranty will have expired when I improved the shift cable routing with my drill.

I thought about adding a couple top-tube bosses for a bento box to my P4 but throwing away a lifetime warranty on the frame to be able to mount a storage box is pretty silly. I'll use the velcro strap version.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
What about the new Felt IAs?

Love the IA's! I could make an argument that the IA10 is one of the best bang-for-your-buck tri bikes ever, and is likely the reason you see so many great bikes in the $4K-$6K range today. But, we're talking greatest of all time.

I don't understand the love for the Shiv Tri. Poor geometry and a uninspired aero bar with very limited adjustment. No thanks. Years after their aero bar recall, still no decent replacement? Really? I almost never recommend that bike to clients; though, to be honest, almost no one fit by us can fit to that bike anyway. Now, the Shiv TT? Great bike! Give me an adjustable aero bar for that bad boy and we're in business.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember that not growing and not visually growing are two different things. That spot is weaker than the surrounding areas and in a relatively high-stress, high-cycle area like a seatpost that crack will spread. It could just be internal cracks you can't see. Who did you have inspect it, and what methods did they use to do so?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LBS via removal of the seat mast. From the outside, the crack looks like a small irregular line in the paint as opposed to a crack in the frame. Pulling the seat mast out, you can see a very, very, very small extrusion in the same area as the outside crack. This crack line is ABOVE the triangular shape of the frame itself. The seat mast sits on a shelf within the seat post and this portion of the frame simply envelopes the mast. It would take a lot to crack it off completely forcing me to stand to the finish. Like I said, I've been racing it this way for several years and counting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would agree that the shiv tt is an excellent bike.

I think the original cannondale slice deserves an honorable mention just for being one of the nicest riding tt bikes, and a very successfully marketed and sold bike for cannondale. It was sold from 2008 to 2015, an eternity in terms of product life cycle, and was certainly no aero dog.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you're saying I should upgrade my 2004 p2k to a P3C? Unlike many on here, I actually do need the long/low geometry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amen to all that.

i've also drilled out the top tube and then "buried" the entry point in an xlab 300 bento.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the Long and Low club :) I'm 605/605 :)

P3C and P4 are identical S/R. I'm still not convinced that there's any bike that can beat the stuffing (subjective eval) out of the P4 at low yaws and for that matter a converted and optimized P3C does a bang up job as well.

If you have a strong lusting for the longest of longs and the lowest of lows then the P3 aluminum is your love. It's got an extra 20mm in reach and ___ less mm in stack (can't recall the exact figure ATM) over the P3C.

However, I want to say the gap between P2k and P3C was close to a minute over 40k. That's a pretty big hit.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
I thought about adding a couple top-tube bosses for a bento box to my P4 but throwing away a lifetime warranty on the frame to be able to mount a storage box is pretty silly. I'll use the velcro strap version.

It's only pretty silly until you conclude that the replacement frame you would get under warranty is unsuitable for you, like I describe in the post you quoted (the aforementioned NP3 shit geometry).
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best Tri/ TT bike ever mass produced [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
Welcome to the Long and Low club :) I'm 605/605 :)

P3C and P4 are identical S/R. I'm still not convinced that there's any bike that can beat the stuffing (subjective eval) out of the P4 at low yaws and for that matter a converted and optimized P3C does a bang up job as well.

Yup. Looks as good as anything with cables hidden, aero brake and low stack bars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a P2k, P3C, P5-6 and now ride a P4. I love the speed and simplicity of my P4, but think that the P3C was the game changer. Still, you can snag one of these for cheap and build up a wicked fast bike for little $$.
Quote Reply

Prev Next