Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting 1st Tri Bike Tomorrow - Anything I need to Know before Riding?
Quote | Reply
Getting fit for and picking up my 1st ever Tri Bike (P2) in the morning. I would like to ride it home, but I have never been on a tri bike, nor have I ever been on aerobars. Will I be ok riding it, or should I wait to get used to it somehow?

I do ride in the drops of my road bike all the time and for miles at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting 1st Tri Bike Tomorrow - Anything I need to Know before Riding? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same bike with DI2 shifting. Make sure you test ride before you buy. Also I would ride this on a trail or not heavy traffic road the first time you get in aero bars. The first time I rode my road bike with aero bars I was all over the place until I got used to handling.
Last edited by: dl1340: Oct 26, 17 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: Getting 1st Tri Bike Tomorrow - Anything I need to Know before Riding? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto above... the first time I rode in the aero bars last year, I was weaving all over the road. But, I would definitely ride it home from the shop. Just know that you will tighten your sphincter a little when you go aero, so do it when the road is clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grip it and rip it. The faster you're going the more stable it will be in the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't you get fit before determining which bike you are going to buy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know how to clip and unclip? Because I didn't when I first bought mine and that was really embarrassing and ended up in ER because the big chainring almost cut my ankle. Yes, that was all in one ride.

That's all.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Last edited by: Tri Nut: Oct 26, 17 14:14
Quote Reply
Re: Getting 1st Tri Bike Tomorrow - Anything I need to Know before Riding? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Shouldn't you get fit before determining which bike you are going to buy?

Yes. I got fit on it, plus fit for two different sizes. Glad I did. I could really tell the difference. One hurt, one felt perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing you need to know. Staying in the aero position will be uncomfortable at first. It will take you a few rides before you can sustain staying in the aerobars for long periods of time. That's normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get a FIST fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its still just a bicycle with two wheels, a seat and two pedals---Its not a 135,000 HP rocket. Ride it. Try the aero bars on an empty street. Have fun-go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Takes a little time to get used to riding in aero, but if you've been riding road bikes for a while and are used to handling, it won't take long. And obviously don't stay in your aero bars when on slick or choppy pavement or when riding in a pack. When it gets a little crowded or I'm taking a corner at a speed that makes me a little uncomfortable, I usually keep my left forearm in the aero bars and maintain my body position but move my right hand to the brake. When moving from aero to upright, I usually get one hand firmly on the brake before changing body position and moving the other hand.

As mentioned above, don't overdo it for the first few weeks. Too much time in aero right off the bat can cause some serious lower back pain. And worse, if the fit isn't right, you could damage lower back or leg muscles or even get some nerve damage. My first tri fit was wrong. I started feeling a little pain the stretched from my lower back down to the back of my knee. I thought I just needed to toughen up and ride through the pain. Turns out the fit was so wrong, and I'd pushed myself too hard for too long in a bad position that I'd exposed the nerve in my lower back and was off the bike and in physical therapy for nearly 4 months. Once I was healthy again, I got a correct fit, and everything's been fine since. I'm very flexible and currently ride in an aggressive position. The initial fit that caused the damage wasn't all that aggressive, it was just off. So, don't go crazy for the first few weeks, and sit up when you start to feel fatigue or get pain in your lower back, shoulders, or legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How far is home?

Does your screen name have anything to do with Michigan State? Are you buying in East Lansing?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a really nice bike. Congratulations. A lot of good advise on the forum ..... enjoy.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Getting 1st Tri Bike Tomorrow - Anything I need to Know before Riding? [NOLAgrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NOLAgrouper wrote:
.....and sit up when you start to feel fatigue or get pain in your lower back, shoulders, or legs.

Most likely gonna feel the pain in the neck first.....

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride it, use common sense and keep the rubber side down.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your 1st? Congrats! That's awesome! Things will never be the same.

I'd say the only thing to be aware of is just the sad truth that it will be over before you know it. Maybe try to think of something else while you are riding it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't do your very first ride on the bike on a steep downhill. It was interesting.

You'll get used to it pretty quickly.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Getting 1st Tri Bike Tomorrow - Anything I need to Know before Riding? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
NOLAgrouper wrote:
.....and sit up when you start to feel fatigue or get pain in your lower back, shoulders, or legs.

Most likely gonna feel the pain in the neck first.....

Ahhh yes.... Forgot about that. Been a while since riding around like a turtle felt awkward.
Quote Reply