Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Marktheshark
Re: Large Rider Bad at Flat Time Trials [lilmuncher14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're big and can climb compared to other riders that are smaller, but can't go fast on flat TTs, then the issue is not power, it's your position.
Of course, the other possibility is that the smaller riders you ride with aren't good at climbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is strange. I'm a small guy 5'5" and 128 lbs (also a bit old 62), but I drop my much younger friends on climbs and they usually beat me on flat course triathlons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lilmuncher14 wrote:
I'm a larger rider (>6ft >200lbs) who has quite a few years of cycling experience and am currently stumped. Whenever I ride with other people and in races I seem to suffer on flat roads and drop all of my smaller friends who consider themselves climbers on climbs. I have a TT setup with aero wheels and an aero helmet. I also have a professional bike fit. Basically I'm very confused as to why I'm such a good climber compared to my time trial ability. I do a fair amount of flat time trial practice but can't seem to get above 23-24 mph on most courses.
1) Do you think it's my aerodynamics and I should maybe drop my front end further?
2) Do I just need to TT more?
3) Do I need to practice power sustainability at higher cadences?

Any input would be great

Do you have FTP and CdA numbers?

Do you have your smaller friends weight and FTP numbers?

Have you put any TT efforts into BBS Aero Analyzer?
Quote Reply
Re: Large Rider Bad at Flat Time Trials [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends if the 200 is muscle or not and where the muscle is. What gears are used in climb vs flat, what gear they are using on climb vs flat, etc. There are way to many variables.
Quote Reply
Re: Large Rider Bad at Flat Time Trials [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
lilmuncher14 wrote:
I'm a larger rider (>6ft >200lbs) who has quite a few years of cycling experience and am currently stumped. Whenever I ride with other people and in races I seem to suffer on flat roads and drop all of my smaller friends who consider themselves climbers on climbs. I have a TT setup with aero wheels and an aero helmet. I also have a professional bike fit. Basically I'm very confused as to why I'm such a good climber compared to my time trial ability. I do a fair amount of flat time trial practice but can't seem to get above 23-24 mph on most courses.
1) Do you think it's my aerodynamics and I should maybe drop my front end further?
2) Do I just need to TT more?
3) Do I need to practice power sustainability at higher cadences?

Any input would be great

Do you have FTP and CdA numbers?

Do you have your smaller friends weight and FTP numbers?

Have you put any TT efforts into BBS Aero Analyzer?
This.

This discussion is moot without watts and aero position info.

What is your FTP? Divide by weight (in Kg) to obtain W/Kg and that's what matters on the climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures or video would help too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long are the climbs?
Quote Reply
Re: Large Rider Bad at Flat Time Trials [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this ^

Also how much training do you do on the TT bike versus your regular bike?
Quote Reply