Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best bike fit system to train for?
Quote | Reply
So I'm thinking of training to be a certified bike fitter. But there are quite a few systems which one could learn; GURU, Specialized, F.I.S.T, Retül etc.

So what are your experiences with these fitters? GURU with its dynamic adjustments seems smart, but I always thought it would be best to do the fit on the bike that's being used.

Thoughts?
Last edited by: timothy11: Oct 24, 17 5:44
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike fit system to train for? [timothy11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, you can't do fits on the bike being used. That is not a bike fit. That is a check up, tweak, or "positioning session" if you prefer. Bike fits take place on fit bikes. End of story. Preferably a modern dynamic fit bike, one that moves under the rider as they pedal, but older style non dynamic bikes can suffice.

As far the tools of bike fitting, as in which fit bike, it doesn't really matter. In competent hands the results will be the same. I've fit on a Guru, both generations of Retul bikes, the older Exit bike, the MkII Exit bike, the really old Serotta bike, and the new Serotta/Purely Custom bike. My output would be the same regardless of which bike I used.

As far as what I prefer, I like simplicity. I did not prefer the automated Guru bike after using it for several dozen fits. I like the Gen1 Retul bike for it's ease of use and stability. Harder to move around, but solid. The Gen 2 Retul bike is lighter, but less stable. Hard efforts and heavier riders cause this bike to move around too much for my liking.

My next bike will probably be the MkII Exit bike with the incline capability. It brings everything to the table I want, and nothing I do not want, at the lowest price point of any dynamic fit bike. What's not too like?

As far as the systems of bike fitting here is what you need to know:
FIST is the first and the best tri bike fitting system. Very good with road bikes as well.
Guru is FIST, as in exactly, without pretending to be anything else.
Retul is similar to FIST, derived from FIST, and relies too much on fancy equipment and too little on the skill of the fitter and feedback of the rider. They make good equipment, but complicate the process while attempting to simplify it. You will be in for $25000 in new equipment, as opposed to less than $10000 if you use an Exit bike with a goniommeter.
Specialized is Retul, unless you mean the older Body Geometry system, which wasn't so much a fitting system as it was a sales system.

Go to FIST school. Purchase some learning tools from Paul Swift for the basics of cleat adjustments. Buy a dynamic fit bike. Buy a quick change saddle clamp. Buy an adjustable crank. Buy some saddles, pedals, and aerobar extensions, gonimeter, smart tool level, Bosch self leveling vertical line laser level, metric measuring tape. Go do some fits. Look at fits. Listen to fitters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I teach BikeFit so I might be a bit biased, but feel that BikeFit and F.I.S.T. complement each other nicely, so going to a F.I.S.T. workshop at Xantusia for 5 days is a good place to start.

After that, I would certainly go deeper with BikeFit level 2, attend the Medicine of Cycling Conference in Colorado Springs, check out Steve Hogg's stuff, pick up books from Andy Pruitt, Phil Burt, Arnie Baker, and others, and spend a lot of time reading about the human body, common ailments for cyclists, and feet. There are a lot of systems - Retul, SICI, etc. - all can bring something new to your fit process and help you be better.

I would encourage you to think freely and try not to be known for the tool you use. Tools can help improve the efficiency and results, but the best tools you have are your ears. Listen to the rider. Help them learn how to listen to themselves.

What is fun about bike fitting is that there is so much to learn - if you have a thirst for knowledge and constant learning, you'll love doing this stuff. Every person is a learning experience. If you would like to chat, PM me or you can find my phone number on my website linked in my signature.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to learn the technology retul is good - but you'll just learn the tech. If you want to learn the angles just read the slowtwitch information.

If you want to be a good fitter treat it like being a tattoo artist. Do these things: 1. research well respected fitters in your area 2. get a fit by the one you think you want to work with 3. ask her/him to do an apprenticeship.

The classes/systems are great but can't replace watching riders on the bike and interacting with the athletes on a daily basis.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike fit system to train for? [GreenBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, guys. Really appreciate your answers.

Although the FIST workshop looks intriguing it's still quite far away as I am based in Northern Europe.

Maybe look to find some Retul or GURU workshops in Europe and buying that Exit bike. Wasn't aware that Retul cost $25k, that's alot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timothy11 wrote:
Thanks, guys. Really appreciate your answers.

Although the FIST workshop looks intriguing it's still quite far away as I am based in Northern Europe.

Maybe look to find some Retul or GURU workshops in Europe and buying that Exit bike. Wasn't aware that Retul cost $25k, that's alot.

I’m from northern europe, from the netherlands. I decided to step into bike fitting in 2008, went to FIST in 2009. That was the best step i made. Did some serious amount of fits after that on friends and family at no charge just to learn and get the feel for it. Went to several other courses ans studies, like retul, trek precision fit, cycle fit uk, etc. From all i learned something, but my protocol is still FIST.
Used retul, even had 2 sets for a while, but eventually sold it. I have the guru with the ror software. The fit bike, next to skills, is by far the most important expensive tool. You need some basic other tools as well.

But before see what the competition is in your country. I see a lot of fitters popping up that actually just call them fitters but deliver terrible fits. They have been to the 2 day shimano course, buy a lot of expensive stuff and call themselves fitter. Without having adequate knowledge but still charging a serious amount of money. Don’t be like them.

But if you really want to go for it, just do it. If you are from any country nearby feel free to visit me.

Jeroen
TRIPRO..nl

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike fit system to train for? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, you can't do fits on the bike being used. That is not a bike fit. That is a check up, tweak, or "positioning session" if you prefer. Bike fits take place on fit bikes. End of story. Preferably a modern dynamic fit bike, one that moves under the rider as they pedal, but older style non dynamic bikes can suffice.
--------------------------------------------------------------

you are getting a little too comfortable in your job. there is ONE important tool needed for great bike fit and it s sure not a fit bike...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply