Login required to post replies

Tattoo = sweat problems?
Quote | Reply
Not the most reliable source but this is interesting nonetheless

[https://content.dollarshaveclub.com/...5722595218900164/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Tattoo = sweat problems? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems contrary to my experience, and I even have an armpit fully tattooed. Train and race in the subtropics, never any heat issue, 25+ tattoos.
Also I know this girl Heather she seems to race pretty well in the heath

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember reading some research on pubmed or in a medical journal (maybe exer & sports science) about this. Can't remember the takeaway but it what ever it was it didn't stop me from getting a few tats done

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a quick breakdown and a link to the 2017 study.

http://www.mysportscience.com/...the-ability-to-sweat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm.. I've never noticed a problem with it and I have a good amount of tattoos, including my whole back.

One thing I didn't quite get from the article is in one place it says that tattooed skin sweats 50% less and then later is says that tattooed skin sweat contains 2x more salt so that's a risk because it can result in hyponatremia. But isn't that just the same amount of salt you're losing?
Quote Reply
Re: Tattoo = sweat problems? [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 3/4 arm sleeve and leg sleeve from knee down, no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Tattoo = sweat problems? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
Seems contrary to my experience, and I even have an armpit fully tattooed. Train and race in the subtropics, never any heat issue, 25+ tattoos.

My husband is extremely tattooed and an ultra runner. He passed out at the 64th mile of his first 100. That being said, it was 80 degrees, 100% humidity, ridiculously technical course (ES100). I'm pretty sure him passing out had more to do with environment than his tattoos.
Quote Reply
Re: Tattoo = sweat problems? [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen/heard where certain areas fade faster due to sweat (palms, arm pit, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: Tattoo = sweat problems? [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia Plain wrote:
[My husband ...

Wait! What? Your Who?!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Tattoo = sweat problems? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
[My husband ...

Wait! What? Your Who?!!!

Devestating isn't it?
Quote Reply
Re: Tattoo = sweat problems? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:

It is reasonable to expect that you shouldn't be able to perceive any issues but that is not say you couldn't be faster in heat with less tattoos. Once the body gets too hot it just forces you to slow down. At the highest level of sport athletes are governed by how much body heat they can shed. It is why Patrick Lange and Mirinda Carfrae are so good at Kona. They have great form making them more efficient in the first place, but are also small and generate less heat.

Whether athletes know it or not many races they do they are regulated by temp. Now you may not be able to perceive the fact that you are 3 seconds slower per mile because of the heat but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Just look at the pace equivalent paces in various temps and why running in the mid-40 to mid-50s is so much faster. Now even if you have a full-sleeve that is still a small percentage of skin.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply