Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ITU Bermuda 2018 [Darkwing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darkwing wrote:
Fair enough. Here's some counterpoint:

1. I'm not at any risk of winning this thing (unless I'm the only one to show up), but I will also not leave anything on the course. "Agressive Recreational" is how I describe my training and racing.
2. BestBikeSplit claims TT will be 68 seconds faster per lap(*) at 240W. I've tried to attach the comparison.
3. This is also a vacation and my Domane will be a lot more versatile for the rest of the time I'm there. I'm not taking two bikes, but I can take a set of knobby tires for rail trail or whatnot.

(*)I'm assuming that BBS will take my CdA to be constant for the entire loop. Right now I'm estimating 0.270 on the TT. But there's no way I'm staying aero the whole loop.

Oh, BBS is saying 68s "per lap" faster on the TT bike? No effin way. maybe 60-90 secs over the entire ride, but not more than that unless your road position is absolutely terrible.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who's racing? The Athletes Guide is now available.

I am counting on the weather being warmer and drier than Duathlon Nationals in Greenville this pas weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Bermuda 2018 [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. There's a chance of snow here today.

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darkwing wrote:
I'm in. There's a chance of snow here today.

It was 28 degrees with a thick layer of frost in the Boston suburbs this morning. I'm so ready for winter to leave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:

I am counting on the weather being warmer and drier than Duathlon Nationals in Greenville this pas weekend.

It was 73F with a dewpoint of 70F here this morning when I was out on the bike . We had a crappy March with all the leftovers of all the Noreasters that rolled through NA but April has been quite nice so far. If you can handle humidity you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Bermuda 2018 [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
It was 73F with a dewpoint of 70F here this morning when I was out on the bike . We had a crappy March with all the leftovers of all the Noreasters that rolled through NA but April has been quite nice so far. If you can handle humidity you'll be fine.

You sound local. If so, could you (or JasonInHalifax or DrLuke12 if they're paying attention) comment on this bit out of the athletes guide (pages 14/15) regarding getting out riding in the days before the race:
"Times to train on these courses is before 07:00am"

Is this just to avoid rush hour (if you have one of those, I'm sorry) and riding in the middle of the day is ok? I'm arriving on the 22nd and was hoping to get a few rides in. According to this sunrise isn't until about 6:50. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darkwing wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:

You sound local. If so, could you (or JasonInHalifax or DrLuke12 if they're paying attention) comment on this bit out of the athletes guide (pages 14/15) regarding getting out riding in the days before the race:
"Times to train on these courses is before 07:00am"

Is this just to avoid rush hour (if you have one of those, I'm sorry) and riding in the middle of the day is ok? I'm arriving on the 22nd and was hoping to get a few rides in. According to this sunrise isn't until about 6:50. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

You can ride at any time. I would imagine that they put that note in there because most of the bike course is on the main artery into Hamilton and the roads will be pretty blocked with morning rush hour traffic from about 7am until 9 or 930 am.

There's a lot of cyclists that ride in the early hours, usually meeting at the Harbor Road - Trimingham Hill roundabout around 5am ish. (It's on the bike course at the base of Corkscrew Hill) I wouldn't worry too much about the bike course. It's not hugely technical in any way and is mostly flat with a few gentle rollers along with the steep trip up Corkscrew Hill. You won't be able to ride up Corkscrew until race day, I don't think, since it is a one way street and the race will be going against the legal flow of traffic.

As for general riding here the one bit of advice I will give you is to own your piece of the road. The roads are narrow and, while the speeds are low compared to NA, they can feel fast on our tiny winding roads. If you move over to the edge of the road to enable traffic to pass you, it will do so and often will do so when it is not really safe to do so. It's best to claim the whole lane and then swing over to let traffic go when you feel it is safe to do so. Most of the roads are very safe to ride on and motorists are very used to lots of bikes, both pedal and mopeds, on the roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bdaghisallo said.

bring a set of lights with you to ride early mornings, after rush hour starts the traffic can get a lot more congested.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Bermuda 2018 [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:

We might hit 70 this weekend before it drops to the high 30s on Sunday :-).

Any news on the water temp? This website says the water is 68F (20C). Any chance it will hit 22C in the next two weeks? Just wondering whether to pack the wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d say there is a very high likelihood that water temps will be 22C in 2 weeks, but maybe pack a wetsuit in case.
I’m currently on the island for spring break now (and my parents have owned in Bermuda for almost 40 years) and I’d say water temps are at about 70 but are
Usually in low 70s by the end of the month.

A few notes for racers:
1. Railway trails are awesome for running and closed to vehicles (except for access).
2. Biking here is way better and safer than the tri state area but avoid rush hours if you can (7-9:30 am, heading to Hamilton 4:30-6 pm heading away from Hamilton). Speed limit is usually 25 mph (though traffic usually moves a bit faster) but motorists are used to scooters and cyclists. Remember to ride on the left. South Shore Rd usually less traffic than Middle Rd. I biked down Corkscrew on Monday - I’m not looking forward to going up it multiple times in 2 weeks - definitely need to get your gearing right as it’s steep and technical and starts with a sharp left so not much momentum...it’s gonna be a bitch.
3. It’s the end of man-of-war season and they have been out in full force on the south shore so look out if doing any open ocean swims. Usually these suckers are not in the Harbours though. National Stadium is AWESOME to get in some laps (pool is heated). If you look online they have additional lap swim times if getting in early ($16 per day fee).

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:

We might hit 70 this weekend before it drops to the high 30s on Sunday :-).

Any news on the water temp? This website says the water is 68F (20C). Any chance it will hit 22C in the next two weeks? Just wondering whether to pack the wetsuit.

Yesterday's sea surface temp was 71.6F - 22C on the nose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the others. You don't want to be riding around Hamilton at rush hour, or anytime really. Just stay away from town. The further away from Hamilton (east end or west end) you will be better off. Swimming on the course should only be done during posted times, as it's an active harbour and you shouldn't be out there with boats. In general, the roads all over are really narrow. Just use caution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Please post a report of the race. I was really considering it this year, but opted not too. Love to hear about it and then pull the trigger for next year if the reviews are good.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weather looks awful. This race is going to be fantastic. I can't wait for Saturday. Who else is here?

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm here. Right now the weather is gorgeous, albeit windy.

The forecast sucks, though. Rain for the race.

It'll be fun!
Quote Reply

Prev Next