Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wish ASICS would bring back the GT2170 - What are your alternatives?
Quote | Reply

Title pretty much sums it up. Been running in the Brooks Pure Connect/Cadence for the past few years, but every now and then I slip in to my GT2170s. I loved that shoe.

For those who used to wear the 2160s 2170s , what are you go to shoes now? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Wish ASICS would bring back the GT2170 - What are your alternatives? [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree, that shoe was awesome for many years. I jumped up to the Kayano but I’m not thrilled with the past two editions of that line. I’ll be interested to see what others have to say.
Quote Reply
Re: Wish ASICS would bring back the GT2170 - What are your alternatives? [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never used the GT-2170s, but weren't they supposedly replaced by the GT-2000 line?

What's the difference between those?
Quote Reply
Re: Wish ASICS would bring back the GT2170 - What are your alternatives? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been running on the GT-2xxx line for decades. I really did not notice a huge difference between the GT-2170 and the GT-2000. I am currently on the GT-2000 3 (I think).
Quote Reply
Re: Wish ASICS would bring back the GT2170 - What are your alternatives? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently, dont quote me, alot of 2160 and 2170 users did not like the GT2000

ASICS completely changed the shoe, and therefore did not appeal to the legacy users.
Ive heard that perhaps the Brooks Adrenaline or Ravenna is possibly a good alternative?

I'd like to use a 10-12mm drop shoe for more regular runs, but like a bike seat, cant be bothered to try everything out there. Especially when some of these trainers cost half a paycheck.

Hence, just wondering what others have resorted to since the disappearance of the 21XX range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I've used both the Brooks Adrenaline and the GT-2000 and whilst they're similar, the Adrenaline is a bit firmer and more responsive (smooth and fast mid-to-forefoot transition) but the GT-2000 gives you a bit more cushioning. If you're finding the GT-2000 to be "too much shoe", the Adrenaline might be worth a shot. If you're looking at shorter distances or interval sessions though I'm a big fan of the DS-Trainer or DS-Racer.

At the end of the day, much like saddles, you can read a lot of reviews but you're only going to know if it works for you by going out and putting some proper mileage on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks awenborn

Ive actually got the DS-Trainer, its not bad. Especially for transition runs, and for runs on soft surfaces its actually pretty good.
I'm planning of getting either the Adrenaline or Ravenna this weekend, and i'm thinking i'll go with the Adrenaline.

But, on the other hand, im very tempted to get the Hoka Clifton. And you're right, its a case of trial and error....but also a lot of $$
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When Asics redid the 2170 to become the 2000 series (taking a New Balance playbook of not just "add 10" to the prior model year for the new shoe), they played around with foam and fit. People were complaining that Asics had just gone too wide with the fit of their shoes. Well, they went too far, and have never really course-corrected. How they've managed to bungle that shoe for almost four years now, I have no idea.

At any rate, shoes that are most similar:

Brooks Ravenna (the softness of an old 2000 series, just with more aggressive toe spring)
New Balance Vazee Prism v2 if you like the old midfoot wrap and wider forefoot of a 2000, just with a little more responsive ride.
Saucony Guide also has to be on the list.

DS Trainer isn't a bad option if you insist on staying with Asics.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Wish ASICS would bring back the GT2170 - What are your alternatives? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a GT2xxx user for a while. My two favorite replacements are the Ravenna and the Saucony Guide.
Quote Reply