Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
I suggest you ride one before you make claims with no substance. I have owned two Dimonds now and the first time I rode the Brilliant I knew I would never be able to go back to standard bike. Although the bike feels stiff and handles like a normal tt bike the beam has some dampening and dampens some of the harshness out of the road. That alone won me over and I figure must help over an Ironman distance race when getting off to run. The new Marquise with inbuilt bento box, spare storage compartment and ability to run a bladder in the frame like a shiv another plus for me. That's without even mentioning the poser novelty.

After reading this compelling review full of evidenced based benefits why would anyone buy any bike other than a Dimond?

You must now feel great letting everyone know that you've bought not one but two Dimonds.

So when you rack one in transition you've got another one to ride to the cafe: every base covered.

Well done.

Did someone mention dick waving tool?

Lol so you're poor and can't afford a cool bike. That's got to suck dude!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
I suggest you ride one before you make claims with no substance. I have owned two Dimonds now and the first time I rode the Brilliant I knew I would never be able to go back to standard bike. Although the bike feels stiff and handles like a normal tt bike the beam has some dampening and dampens some of the harshness out of the road. That alone won me over and I figure must help over an Ironman distance race when getting off to run. The new Marquise with inbuilt bento box, spare storage compartment and ability to run a bladder in the frame like a shiv another plus for me. That's without even mentioning the poser novelty.

After reading this compelling review full of evidenced based benefits why would anyone buy any bike other than a Dimond?

You must now feel great letting everyone know that you've bought not one but two Dimonds.

So when you rack one in transition you've got another one to ride to the cafe: every base covered.

Well done.

Did someone mention dick waving tool?

So you got that d-waving going...thanks for letting us know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

Lol so you own a Dimond which tests about as fast as a Shiv, is not that great looking, and their Kona count was beaten by Ventum in only 1 year. That’s got to suck dude!!!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

Lol so you own a Dimond which tests about as fast as a Shiv, is not that great looking, and their Kona count was beaten by Ventum in only 1 year. That’s got to suck dude!!!

So...Dimond is becoming more rare...making them more valuable....like a collector’s item. [pink!!]
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

Yep my life sucks :( Thanks for pointing that out for me...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

Yep my life sucks :( Thanks for pointing that out for me...

I know every parent thinks their child is beautiful...but the truth is, there are a lot of ugly kids in the world.

And a lot of ugly bikes.

But I'm glad this one makes you happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know every parent thinks their child is beautiful...but the truth is, there are a lot of ugly kids in the world.

And a lot of ugly bikes.

But I'm glad this one makes you happy.[/quote]
What started out me trying to tell someone who attacked everyone on this post that had or like a non traditional bike to ride one before passing judgement quickly escalated into some severe trolling that was quite entertaining I must admit. At the end of the day I do love my bike especially how it rides but also looks compared to a traditional frame and I just wanted to share that. People are welcome to feel otherwise but I think you will find everyone who has one is happy with their non traditional bike that's all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m just messing with ya. I’m not a Dimond fan but I think non traditional bikes look awesome and we will see a lot more of them to come.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That bike says a lot about the owner.... personally unless it guaranteed me a sub 5 hr IM bike split you couldn’t pay me to be caught on that thing
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [pvrider310] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks fast? Well it doesn't guarantee but has been known to go well under...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a P5, close to a 5 hour bike split...getting there. Only a few experiences on a non-traditional frame, namely ventum.

I didn't mind the ride on it, but wasn't wildly over the moon either. They make a point about the center of gravity being lower due to the hydration, but I only carry two 600ml bottles (bta and behind the saddle) for IM, so I'm not sure this really makes a difference to me. I also can't get behind the idea of buying a bike from a new brand that costs the same as its well-established competitors that have demonstrated their commitment to supporting athletes and owners over a number of years.

What I don't understand (and that does not mean I'm saying it isn't true) are the claims that these bikes are better in crosswinds.

If you are riding a disc and a deep front, then for sure there is more wheel exposed to the wind than frame. Even with 808s front and back, I imagine the wheels have more impact...especially the front. Can someone point to the data or theory that explains why these bikes are better in cross winds than a well-designed traditional frame such as a P5 and its peers?
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about any claims but in my opinion the only place I have ever noticed severe cross winds that I think may make a difference from other bikes is the descent from Hawi in Kona. The Thursday the week before the race this year the wind was horrendous and I was riding a 60 front and 90 rear and was having an easier time than my friends on a BMC and a Canyon similar wheels but that was in extreme cross winds. One of the guys sister got blown off her bike twice. I can't comment on the ride quality of the Ventum but have chatted to a rider I think second fastest AG at Kona this year who went from a Dimond to a Ventum and is back on a Dimond. To me the Dimond ride quality is handling just like a standard frame bike cornering etc but the beam takes some harshness out the road. My first ride on one I was looking for rough sections to ride over as I couldn't believe how much nicer the ride was.
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I still had my Hotta - that was a beautiful bike.

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
However, if you know Cervelo's history and roots, the P5X is really a bit of a distant echo from the original bike the Cervelo founders Vroomen and White designed - the Barrachi!

When I saw the first spy shots of the P5X, I was hoping that they would bring the Barrachi name back. Both bikes have some similar features.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I don't know about any claims but in my opinion the only place I have ever noticed severe cross winds that I think may make a difference from other bikes is the descent from Hawi in Kona. The Thursday the week before the race this year the wind was horrendous and I was riding a 60 front and 90 rear and was having an easier time than my friends on a BMC and a Canyon similar wheels but that was in extreme cross winds. One of the guys sister got blown off her bike twice. I can't comment on the ride quality of the Ventum but have chatted to a rider I think second fastest AG at Kona this year who went from a Dimond to a Ventum and is back on a Dimond. To me the Dimond ride quality is handling just like a standard frame bike cornering etc but the beam takes some harshness out the road. My first ride on one I was looking for rough sections to ride over as I couldn't believe how much nicer the ride was.

I rode the descent on that same Thursday before the race in the afternoon and during the race. I had 808s front and back and really didn't have any drama on the bike. I'm 180cm, 75kg and was riding at 220NP, not super heavy or super light, and not super powerful blasting through the wind. If the Dimond beam is damping the ride enough to make it noticeable, it is also sapping power. That said, carbon lay-up and design aspects unrelated to a beam vs traditional frame can offer better ride qualities that damp vibration..which could be the case with Dimond. (e.g. damping vibration without flex in the beam)
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry it was the Thursday the week prior to race week. The week leading into the race didn't have winds anywhere close to that day. I had never seen or ridden it that bad. My friend posted holding his bike and having it blown horizontal. As I said it was extreme. I understand there may be some loss of power but it isn't noticeable but I just find it more enjoyable to ride especially over an Ironman distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think the wheels will produce more side forces than the frame....I'm going to look into this.

Living in Taiwan has its advantages...a little birdy has told me I'm in line for a very cool new tri bike that is coming out in a month or two. Already has a UCI sibling...thus traditional frame...but sexy sexy sexy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Sorry it was the Thursday the week prior to race week. The week leading into the race didn't have winds anywhere close to that day. I had never seen or ridden it that bad. My friend posted holding his bike and having it blown horizontal. As I said it was extreme. I understand there may be some loss of power but it isn't noticeable but I just find it more enjoyable to ride especially over an Ironman distance.

My wife was there for a month before the race and was out that Thursday. There was actually a group of riders swept off the QK that day somewhere between the Mauna Lani access and the Hapuna Beach access. All suffered broken bones:( I know one of the group was a female podium finisher in 2016. The winds kicked up again on Monday following the race. Very bad along the Kohala Coast, but pretty much higher than normal all across the island.
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You aren't kidding about the winds on Monday. If race day had been anywhere close to those conditions, it would have been a very different race.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Non traditional bike frame in Kona [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...Monday really would have been a sufferfest of epic proportions!
Quote Reply

Prev Next