Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First ever crit race (partial race report)
Quote | Reply
After many years and maybe a hundred thousand miles of cycling and taking parts in dozens or hundreds of events involving cycling from triathlons to TTs to duathlons to sportives, I finally got round to doing my first crit-style race the other week. Have to say it was a lot of fun and if you enjoy your cycling and are looking to mix it up you should really give it a go.

10 laps of a 5.2km course. Some bends which you would take at full speed if riding solo but which got a bit tricky in a pack, but nothing too technical. I managed to position myself quite well at the start and avoided an early crash, then concentrated on surviving and staying with the lead pack if at all possible. There were about 50 in the pack I was in, and another 100 or so that got dropped into several following packs. It was much harder than I was expecting just to hang in! Average speed overall was 27mph which doesn't sound too intimidating given a flat course and how much of a draft there was, but I'd completely underestimated all the power surges resulting from that many riders going round even fairly innocuous corners. I spent very little time on the front (I don't feel guilty, I was there for the experience and at least did a couple of short pulls) but there were very few points where I could relax and get my breath back, there was nearly always something going on whether it was responding to an attack, jostling for position coming into a turn, or accelerating to get back on coming out of the turn.

My only disappointment was at the end. There was a longish straight followed by a 90 degree bend and then maybe 150 yards into the finish. Consistently through laps 2-8 there were a bunch of 3 guys in matching jerseys who attacked on this straight and tried to hit the front going into that bend, so I figured they were practising for the final lap and made a note to try and get on their train when they did. Sure enough, lap 10 and off they went, and I managed to jump on the back, a few others clearly had the same idea and one guy got in position between me and the group of 3. Not a problem, I figured we'd all get round that final bend somewhere near the front and then I'd see if I had anything left in the tank (I wasn't under any illusions of being a serious contender in a sprint finish in my first event!). Except about 100 yards from that last bend, the guy whose wheel I'm on decides to first sit up and then have a drink! Left me nowhere to go, so I rounded the bend mid-pack somewhere and finished about 30th. The guys I was trying to follow got a 2nd and a 5th from our pack (later discovered that a small group of 10 had got away on the first lap and maintained a 30 second lead) so I guess I can console myself with the thought that I had the right plan but just failed to execute it. Spoke to the guy who'd sat up afterwards, I wasn't aggressive (I was delighted to just finish in one piece in the lead pack, and he didn't alter his line, hit his brakes or even stop pedalling, he just eased up) just joked that it was a funny place to suddenly decide you needed a drink. He shrugged and said he had nothing left for the sprint so decided to soft pedal home and stay out of any trouble. Still seems odd having done the hard work for 99% of the distance and got yourself in a good move, but there you go.

Guess the lesson is to try and find some team-mates next time for a more reliable wheel. Also taught me a fair bit about riding in a pack, I've done plenty of fast pace lines in training rides before so I was pretty confident and my own riding didn't cause any issues, the lesson was more about how to position myself to not be endangered by other riders as there were quite a few bad ones (luckily most of these dropped away by the end, I guess most people that train hard enough to stay in the lead pack acquire some decent pack skills along the way). And gave me much more appreciation for how the pros ride and the importance of having team-mates around to protect you.
Quote Reply
Re: First ever crit race (partial race report) [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done. Now try cyclocross. It’s much better :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious....where are there 150 people races in October?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Spoke to the guy who'd sat up afterwards, I wasn't aggressive (I was delighted to just finish in one piece in the lead pack, and he didn't alter his line, hit his brakes or even stop pedalling, he just eased up) just joked that it was a funny place to suddenly decide you needed a drink. He shrugged and said he had nothing left for the sprint so decided to soft pedal home and stay out of any trouble. Still seems odd having done the hard work for 99% of the distance and got yourself in a good move, but there you go.

Yep. Stuff like that invites problems, and in more aggressive situations and/or higher categories he might just get hipslung backwards. Totally ridiculous move.

If you ever see someone about to sit up in that situation, it's always in your best interest to get around them as quickly as possible. If they're blocking a line or the like, and you bump into them, no harm, no foul. Sitting up towards the front to let teammates ride away when strung out at a finish is a b.s. move (but not altogether uncommon, either, unfortunately).
Quote Reply
Re: First ever crit race (partial race report) [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abu Dhabi. Just moved out to UAE from UK 6 weeks ago, it's stupidly hot here over the summer, so fall/autumn is when the events calendar starts filling up again. That said, the race started at 6:30am and it was still touching 80 degrees with high humidity. The (brand new) safety pins I used to attach my number had actually started to rust by the time I finished! Have also been pleasantly surprised by how strong the cycling and tri community is out here. Plenty of clubs, events, organised training sessions, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, congrats on doing the race, but for the record, a 5.2km course isn't really a criterium course (regardless of what the organizer might call it....), that's a road race on a short circuit.
A crit course is WAY different, usually around 1km loops give or take a few hundred meters.
Quote Reply
Re: First ever crit race (partial race report) [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Hey, congrats on doing the race, but for the record, a 5.2km course isn't really a criterium course (regardless of what the organizer might call it....), that's a road race on a short circuit.
A crit course is WAY different, usually around 1km loops give or take a few hundred meters.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP. He did a circuit race - not a crit. 10 laps is definitely not a crit.
Quote Reply
Re: First ever crit race (partial race report) [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, sorry, didn't realise crit races were quite such short loops. Far and away the shortest circuit that I've ever done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
And in a Cat5/beginner race. Maybe the UAE is different but in the US there is no way 150 people are allowed. Regardless, OP well done on your first race, keep up the good work.
Quote Reply
Re: First ever crit race (partial race report) [wcroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcroadie wrote:
pyrahna wrote:

And in a Cat5/beginner race. Maybe the UAE is different but in the US there is no way 150 people are allowed. Regardless, OP well done on your first race, keep up the good work.

I thought the same thing about a 150 person Cat5 race being a certain kind of cluster that I have no desire to participate in. The comment about the 'early crash' sort of re-affirmed my early desire to upgrade as quickly as possible.

I'd love to see the layout of the circuit....my gut feeling is that if the same 150 people participated in what I would call a crit that the local hospitals would have been overwhelmed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
wcroadie wrote:
pyrahna wrote:

I thought the same thing about a 150 person Cat5 race being a certain kind of cluster that I have no desire to participate in. The comment about the 'early crash' sort of re-affirmed my early desire to upgrade as quickly as possible.

I'd love to see the layout of the circuit....my gut feeling is that if the same 150 people participated in what I would call a crit that the local hospitals would have been overwhelmed.
Lol yup!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ah, sorry, didn't realise crit races were quite such short loops. Far and away the shortest circuit that I've ever done!

Crits, at least in the US, are very often on super short courses. I did a crit this summer where the course was only about 1 km and there were 8 turns . . . .
Quote Reply
Re: First ever crit race (partial race report) [wcroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cat 5 races in the US are limited by rule to 50 riders.

Just surviving a 150 person beginner race is an epic accomplishment!
Quote Reply
Re: First ever crit race (partial race report) [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Cat 5 races in the US are limited by rule to 50 riders.

Just surviving a 150 person beginner race is an epic accomplishment!
Epic indeed! I remember a bunch of the Cat5 and 4/5 races I did and the carnage that ensued. Hell even some of the Cat3 and 1/2/3 races I did had their fair share of carnage. I think the Cat3 races were maybe the worst, not because of the typical cat5 crashes but because the speeds were faster, fields were bigger and people (mostly the young kids) were willing to take stupid risks that often resulted in big crashes. Glad my road racing days are behind me, I do miss it though and as someone mentioned earlier try Cyclocross, most fun that can be had on a bike, and you fall on grass usually :-)
Quote Reply
Re: First ever crit race (partial race report) [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
cartsman wrote:
Spoke to the guy who'd sat up afterwards, I wasn't aggressive (I was delighted to just finish in one piece in the lead pack, and he didn't alter his line, hit his brakes or even stop pedalling, he just eased up) just joked that it was a funny place to suddenly decide you needed a drink. He shrugged and said he had nothing left for the sprint so decided to soft pedal home and stay out of any trouble. Still seems odd having done the hard work for 99% of the distance and got yourself in a good move, but there you go.

Yep. Stuff like that invites problems, and in more aggressive situations and/or higher categories he might just get hipslung backwards. Totally ridiculous move.

If you ever see someone about to sit up in that situation, it's always in your best interest to get around them as quickly as possible. If they're blocking a line or the like, and you bump into them, no harm, no foul. Sitting up towards the front to let teammates ride away when strung out at a finish is a b.s. move (but not altogether uncommon, either, unfortunately).

Sitting up before a sprint, whilst in a sprint pack, is an invitation for disaster. If you're not going to be a part of sprint (i.e. sit up), get the *&^%$ out of the way well in advance. The guy drinking just ends up being a rock in the river that everyone has to navigate around, and I've seen a few accidents caused by actions like this. If it was in my weekly club race, someone would have pulled that guy aside and spoken to them to make sure that kind of stuff doesn't happen again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a fair bit of carnage. Big crash on the first corner, and on the penultimate lap somebody tried to cut up the inside, ran out of room and hit a barrier at >30mph, with numerous other riders behind him taken out. Didn't see any ambulances but did see a carbon bike in 2 pieces with only the cables holding it together! They also had a women's race with the same start time doing 8 laps, and the women and some of the slower riders were getting lapped, just to add to the mayhem.

Will upload a pic of the route later, it was fairly innocuous, 4 x 90 degree corners and a few sweeping bends. Riding solo I'm not sure you'd even need your brakes, but I quickly learned to be very careful about which wheel I followed on the 90 degree bends! Far too many people breaking mid-corner with predictable results.
Quote Reply