Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq PM or alternative
Quote | Reply
Looking to get into power training and thinking about options. Ideally I'd like a crank/chainset based PM as opposed to pedal or hub.

My set up is a 2014 TT-converted S5 with (soon to be fitted) new Sram RED exogram chainset in 386EVO fitment. Seeing as SRAM owns Quarq, I figured that would be the most logical solution.

On emailing a customer services rep, I am told that the new DZero spider (this one) won't fit my chainset, however speaking with Wiggle customer service they tell me it will fit.

Has anyone got any knowledge whether it will fit?
Or can anyone suggest an alternative solution? Unfortunately Power2Max isn't compatible either.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq PM or alternative [WoodyES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post a picture of the crank from the front and back.

Chances are that the Quarq service rep is correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq PM or alternative [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not got them yet, just doing my research for the future.

That would be my first thought, however why would Sram make their top-end crankset incompatible with their top-end PM spiders?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM makes 2 Red Cranks. One is the 'Std.' Red crank that has a one piece arm and spider. This one is not compatible with a Quarq spider. They make it one-piece so it can be lighter.

The 2nd Red Crank is a specifically Quarq compatible one that is primarily a manufacturer option to make it easy to upgrade to a power meter @ the time of purchase at a bike shop. If you are ordering parts that is the one you want for the upgrade path. If you are ordering parts from scratch you probably just want to go ahead and get the powermeter from the get go though...it is the most guaranteed path(my two cents).
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq PM or alternative [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get you, ok thank you for your help.

It may be that I hold off and go straight for the Quarq crankset, unless I can find a more cost-effective alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me? I go with the Quarq because I like matchy-matchy.

But, Power2max.com has their cranks on sale at the moment and are a little less expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq PM or alternative [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:

But, Power2max.com has their cranks on sale at the moment and are a little less expensive.

Do you know well they would play ball with eTap? The main reason I'm changing crankset is because my etap FD doesn't like my Rotor set up (FD doesn't move the chain up unless I'm in the 2 biggest cogs at the back)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like pyrahna asked.....does your Red crankset/chainset on the back of the spider have bolts? (not the chainring bolts but on the spider itself to the back of the crank arm around the spindle, they are Torx style bolts). If so, how many bolts are back there?

If there are no bolts then no you can't use a Dzero spider. If there are 3 bolts then no, you also can't use a DZero spider. If there are 8 bolts then you are golden and can use it (Dzero uses a 8 bolt design).

If you have the 3 bolt version you have a few options:

1) Older Quarq Riken/Elsa that has 3 bolt pattern will fit
2) Power2Max SRAM version spider (those also fit 3 bolt). which has 3 options, NG, NG Eco or Type S version.
3) SRM SRAM spider

Out of the 3 I'd personally go #2 or #3 as seems eventually Riken/Elsa will not be supported by Quarq in the near future.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq PM or alternative [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Like pyrahna asked.....does your Red crankset/chainset on the back of the spider have bolts? (not the chainring bolts but on the spider itself to the back of the crank arm around the spindle, they are Torx style bolts). If so, how many bolts are back there?

If there are no bolts then no you can't use a Dzero spider. If there are 3 bolts then no, you also can't use a DZero spider. If there are 8 bolts then you are golden and can use it (Dzero uses a 8 bolt design).

If you have the 3 bolt version you have a few options:

1) Older Quarq Riken/Elsa that has 3 bolt pattern will fit
2) Power2Max SRAM version spider (those also fit 3 bolt). which has 3 options, NG, NG Eco or Type S version.
3) SRM SRAM spider

Out of the 3 I'd personally go #2 or #3 as seems eventually Riken/Elsa will not be supported by Quarq in the near future.

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

Seems like the best options are either to go ahead with the standard Crankset purchase and proceed with the spider based on the type I get, or wait and go for the Quarq Red crankset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm...that usually means that your FD is not setup correctly. SRAM's yaw derailleurs are 'different' to setup than anything else, but when you have them setup correctly they work really well. Google for the instructions and follow them, or take it back to your shop and ask that they get it to shift correctly (be nice).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WoodyES wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

Do you know well they would play ball with eTap? The main reason I'm changing crankset is because my etap FD doesn't like my Rotor set up (FD doesn't move the chain up unless I'm in the 2 biggest cogs at the back)

I don't. Is your Rotor a 10sp? That's the only thing I can think of to explain the eTap shift issue. Very surprised to hear this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WoodyES wrote:
my etap FD doesn't like my Rotor set up
Use X-Glide rings on the Rotor/P2M crank. That's what i use and it shifts really well.
Last edited by: rijndael: Oct 17, 17 16:14
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq PM or alternative [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I bought the bike it was a 10sp ultegra set up with the Cervelo specced Rotor 3d cranks and NoQ rings. From what I've read, tons of Cervelo owners have had the same problem.

The X-glide rings could be worth a go, do you have a similar set up to me?
Quote Reply