Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any thoughts on Patriot Half (MA) and Ironman/Rev3 Maine 70.3 (ME)??
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

I'm planning my 2018 season and I'm looking into some 70.3's in the North East (I live in Boston). Originally, I wanted to do Mont Tremblant 70.3 but it's already sold out. I'm considering doing the Patriots Half (MA) (https://sunmultisportevents.com/events/patriot-half/) on June 16th and Ironman Maine 70.3 (ME) (http://www.ironman.com/.../maine/register.aspx) on August 26th.

Do you guys have any thoughts/comments on these races? They will be my second and third 70.3 distance races (my first half was IM Lake Placid last month).

Besides these two "A" races, I will probably signup for the Boston Triathlon (Oly) on July 22nd.

Thank you all.
G
Quote Reply
Re: Any thoughts on Patriot Half (MA) and Ironman/Rev3 Maine 70.3 (ME)?? [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard nothing but good things about Ironman Maine. Apparently its a rev3 race. I've never done it, but I chose it to be my first half based on all the great things people said about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Any thoughts on Patriot Half (MA) and Ironman/Rev3 Maine 70.3 (ME)?? [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did the maine 1/2 IM in august and thought it was a really nice race. there was already a thread on their version of a rolling start, so i'd be among those who thought it worked out as the race organizers hoped: the abilities were spread out on the bike. from where i was for the 56 miles it was reasonably roomy….the only real iffy spots for me were where the right side of the road was rutted/impossible to bike.
i encountered an overall friendliness in almost all of the race functionaries who came across my path, and since this is an ongoing race i gather that the workers (hired and volunteer) return each year. it's 3,000 miles away for me and i did it this year for a specific reason, so i probably won't go back for a while. but if it worked out again for me, i'd sign up asap. i liked it a lot.
peggy
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Any thoughts on Patriot Half (MA) and Ironman/Rev3 Maine 70.3 (ME)?? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you might be confusing the Patriot and Cranberry swims. Patriot swim is in Long Pond, which is a much larger body of water than Loon Pond (Cranberry). Patriot swim almost certainly wetsuit legal.

Did Patriot as my first half in 2016. Fantastic race and really well organized. Packet pickup on Tuesday night in Boston was a huge bonus, makes for a stress free race day. I'm signed up for 2018, love Sun Multisport Events.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Any thoughts on Patriot Half (MA) and Ironman/Rev3 Maine 70.3 (ME)?? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Maine in August and thought it was a really well run race, very easy to navigate and get around. It was very similar to Chattanooga in that regard (everything walkable).

Easy course, perfect weather, I didn't have many complaints.

I'd suggest searching for the other thread, lots of input on there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done Patriot 4 times and it is very well run event which I would recommend to anyone looking for a smaller independent race. They have a self-seed with AG wave swim start that works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just another couple to add to your potential list:

Rev3 Quassy
IM Syracuse 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Patriot a couple times, debating whether to sign up again. It's a really good race. I like that it is on Saturday and that you don't have to pick up your packet the day before.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Any thoughts on Patriot Half (MA) and Ironman/Rev3 Maine 70.3 (ME)?? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all!! Apparently both races have good reviews so it's a non-brainer. The reason why I'm not considering IM Syracuse 70.3 is because it's a 4h30-ish drive from Boston, compared to only 50 minutes for Patriots Half and 1h40 for Maine. I'd spend more money with travel expenses, hotels, food, etc. I'd rather use that money towards other races (Boston Tri for example).

Again, thank you so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maine is selling FAST. Get in quick if you plan to do it.

It's a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Any thoughts on Patriot Half (MA) and Ironman/Rev3 Maine 70.3 (ME)?? [Will132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do Maine. I've raced it four years in a row and its the perfect family destination race. The rolling swim start worked really well this past year. Course is actually really good. The new transition is great. It sold out last year but it was a late registration push with folks not knowing how things would go under the IM banner.

I expect it will sell out before Christmas.

Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rec Maine 70.3

The venue is lively, stuff for family. I stayed near the beach and transition. I might have another opinion if I had stayed in Portland and had to drive in or fight for parking.

The swim was. The bike had multiple turns and iffy roads in spots, but fast. The run had a ~8mi middle section on soft, flat (rail to) trail. This slows pace a bit but gentler on the legs. Much easier recovery after, I found.

DO IT !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patriot is a well run independent race. Beautiful course. I've done it 4 times. Great season opener. You could actually do Patriot and Maine.
Quote Reply
Re: Any thoughts on Patriot Half (MA) and Ironman/Rev3 Maine 70.3 (ME)?? [Candyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done both and recommend both. Both of these races sell out fast, so I'd decide as soon as you can. Does anyone know when IM 70.3 Lake Placid will be? I want to do it, but am worried it's gonna bump right up with school starting for my kids.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Any thoughts on Patriot Half (MA) and Ironman/Rev3 Maine 70.3 (ME)?? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
I've done both and recommend both. Both of these races sell out fast, so I'd decide as soon as you can. Does anyone know when IM 70.3 Lake Placid will be? I want to do it, but am worried it's gonna bump right up with school starting for my kids.

Done! I had to renew my USAT membership in advance in order to sign up for Ironman Maine. But now I have both races in my calendar. Can’t wait to start training!!
Quote Reply