Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who are the midnight finishers?
Quote | Reply
I’m new to following/participating in the sport, so please forgive the potentially ignorant question:

Who are the people finishing at midnight at the limited-entry championship race?

Is it mostly people who have blown up and just trying to get to the finish line? Auction entries? Legacy people?
Quote Reply
Re: Who are the midnight finishers? [Stephensjer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my sponsored athletes used to regularly finish near midnight... Harriet Anderson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s it mostly people who have blown up and just trying to get to the finish line? Auction entries? Legacy people?

How about your grandparents?? Did it occur to you that 17 hours and just under might just be a really fast time for some ages??
Quote Reply
Re: Who are the midnight finishers? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Monty and All,

To your point:

A marathon can be very slow for an octogenarian and the drop in performance between 80 and 90 years of age is precipitous (a lot).

I do not think anyone has yet finished at Kona Triathlon in the most excellent age group of 85 -89 ...... that is an interesting challenge.

Lew Hollander gave it a go in 2015 at 85 but DNF and Lew had 23 Kona Ironman finishes under his belt.

In a side note ..... on results page it looks like Mike (65-69 stage 4 pancreatic cancer) might have missed the bike cutoff by 7 minutes or so for DNF.

He gave it a good try .....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Oct 15, 17 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: Who are the midnight finishers? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
s it mostly people who have blown up and just trying to get to the finish line? Auction entries? Legacy people?

How about your grandparents?? Did it occur to you that 17 hours and just under might just be a really fast time for some ages??

Well, no, but if my grandparents even made it to the starting line it would be troubling. They’ve been gone for years. Plus, one jumped out of airplanes all over Europe, and the others milked cattle twice a day their whole lives. I don’t think either set would be too interested in, or impressed with ironman.

That said, good thought. I’m just trying to get a mental picture for who’s coming in from 10pm-midnight since even 60 year olds these days seem very fast, and I got passed by a 70 year old on the run of a Sprint I did last year (which tells you a lot about my blazing speed).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...raises hand.

As a 50+ Legacy participant in 2015 I finished in 16:10. Knee injury interfered with my run training. Frustration from the run training interfered with my dedication to bike and swim training. Add in the conditions on the big island and I suddenly found myself doing cut-off math.
Quote Reply
Re: Who are the midnight finishers? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
One of my sponsored athletes used to regularly finish near midnight... Harriet Anderson.

What a great woman!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply