Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how fast am I on the bike?
Quote | Reply
Is there a web site that shows the wattage of cat 4, 3, 2, etc. cyclists on a specific course?? I think to be classified CATxx you must place in a certain position in a sanctioned race, but I was wondering how the classified riders measure up wattage?

Or is there a standard CT (computrainer) ride that I can compare my results against known results of CAT riders?

I never ride organized races and was looking for a baseline/comparison.

For example, if I can maintain 250 watts for a 30 minute ride, flat, etc., is that comparative to a CAT4 ??
Quote Reply
Re: how fast am I on the bike? [tomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your weight, etc. But that's probably ballpark for pack-filler Cat5.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Is there a web site that shows the wattage of cat 4, 3, 2, etc. cyclists on a specific course?? I think to be classified CATxx you must place in a certain position in a sanctioned race, but I was wondering how the classified riders measure up wattage?
-- http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411.html

I never ride organized races and was looking for a baseline/comparison.
-- obviously a big part of bike racing.

For example, if I can maintain 250 watts for a 30 minute ride, flat, etc., is that comparative to a CAT4 ??
-- see the link above. it makes much more sense to express it as W/kg body weight.

Josef

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wattage and wattage/kg are both important. Skill is even moreso. Prior to Tri I raced quite a bit as a cat 4. Locally I would win a lot of TT in cat 4 and quite often beat all the cat 3s. I never lost to one guy who was our state champ in Cat 4 crit and another who usually placed in Cat 1/2 crits locally. I think I had one top 10 in maybe 40 crits in my life, more often off the back.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't work that way. Road racing isn't about holding a set wattage for a set amount of time - that's TTing.

In a road race you might spend 1/2 the time at 140 watts and have surges at 500+.

Plus, Cat 1-5 fields can be different different depending on where you are.

Also, everyone has different strengths. For example, I know a few cat 2 and cat 3 crit guys who are great sprinters that regularly get dropped by cat 4 and 5 guys once the road turns uphill.

That said, those numbers(depending on your weight) would probably put you FBOP or BMOP of most Cat 5 fields in Socal unless you're really good with surges or are a good sprinter.
Quote Reply
Re: how fast am I on the bike? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Doesn't work that way. Road racing isn't about holding a set wattage for a set amount of time - that's TTing.

In a road race you might spend 1/2 the time at 140 watts and have surges at 500+.

Also, everyone has different strengths. For example, I know a few cat 2 and cat 3 crit guys who are great sprinters that regularly get dropped by cat 4 and 5 guys once the road turns uphill.

That said, those numbers(depending on your weight) would probably put you FBOP or BMOP of most Cat 5 fields in Socal unless you're really good with surges or are a good sprinter.

Depending a lot on his weight =). If he weighs 60kg, he would likely be a contender in any hill top finish in CAT4, and even most CAT3 races. If he weighs 80kg, then even as a CAT5, he should look for flat courses...

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: how fast am I on the bike? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

This is correct. If you're thinking that steady watts equates to a place you'll get you ass handed to you for a while. But you'll learn.
Quote Reply