Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ear tubes... chlorine stings ear even with ear plugs...
Quote | Reply
My 5 year old is on his 2nd set of ear tubes. The first set he was fine with swimming. But this set... one of his ears burns even with ear plugs. And we have tried different types. It's just a little bit of water getting in and it is enough. He had his surgery in April. But every time I have him swimming freestyle it stings... maybe he gets away with a lap or 2 without the stinging but eventually water gets in. He is ok just messing around in the water(even without ear plugs). The doc has looked at it and said everything looks fine. Well... it's not. He has a triathlon coming up and I don't see it panning out well in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: ear tubes... chlorine stings ear even with ear plugs... [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 yo?

My Otolaryngologist gave me a set of Docs Pro Plugs after I had a perforated eardrum. Best plugs I have ever worn. Every other set I have tried over 30+ yrs of swimming are worthless.
Quote Reply
Re: ear tubes... chlorine stings ear even with ear plugs... [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya... we tried those originally. They are snug... but some how water gets in. Or maybe there is something else going on....
Quote Reply
Re: ear tubes... chlorine stings ear even with ear plugs... [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He can get custom molded ear plugs. Call your M.D.'s office and schedule an appointment with the audiologist to have the molds done. You do not need an appointment to see the doc at the same time. They will probably run $30-$50. In the interim try rubbing a coat of vaseline over the ear plug he is using, typically this will help plug the leak.
Quote Reply
Re: ear tubes... chlorine stings ear even with ear plugs... [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had used a custom plug & they leaked too. I moisten my Pro Plugs before I insert them so I like the vasoline trick.
Last edited by: turningscrews: Oct 10, 17 20:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
woof wrote:
My 5 year old is on his 2nd set of ear tubes. The first set he was fine with swimming. But this set... one of his ears burns even with ear plugs. And we have tried different types. It's just a little bit of water getting in and it is enough. He had his surgery in April. But every time I have him swimming freestyle it stings... maybe he gets away with a lap or 2 without the stinging but eventually water gets in. He is ok just messing around in the water(even without ear plugs). The doc has looked at it and said everything looks fine. Well... it's not. He has a triathlon coming up and I don't see it panning out well in the water.

5 year old and a Triathlon.
Is he really into it?

When I was a kid I would fake injuries to weasel out of practice.
Quote Reply