Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Distance Set Up for New Cervelo P3
Quote | Reply
Okay, here is the deal. I have been out of triathlon for about 10 years after burning out. Got talked into doing Ironman Santa Rosa this May. I have the "new" Cervelo P3. I need to set it up for long course. When I previously did Ironman I ran a single bottle on the down tube and had dual cages off the back of the seat. I know there are other ways to do the set up so wanted to hear some.

1. my biggest question is a box for above the crank as I thought there would be aftermarket options but I can't seem to find anything. Something akin to what Trek and Specialized have to offer.

2. What are some useful front hydration set ups? I am not a fan of the Profile Designs but the Torpedo option looks useful.

Anyways, haven't been active on here in forever and I know there is a wealth of knowledge so thank you in advance!

Wes
Quote Reply
Re: Long Distance Set Up for New Cervelo P3 [rinconryder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For races I use bta bottle cage plus 2 bottles behind the seat. Both bottles behind the seat are nutrition. Bta is water that I replace on the course. I sometimes use a bento box on the top tube for additional gels, salt tabs etc. flat kit goes under the seat. If it’s a long training ride, will add a 4th bottle of just water on the down tube and maybe even an extra bottle of water in Jersey pocket so there is No stopping on the training ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Distance Set Up for New Cervelo P3 [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long did you do triathlon for before burning out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I've really liked this set up. I had the Torhans Aero 30 but I really like the Profile FC 35...

I've raced this set up for HIM and IM. Honestly, I find that I don't need more bottles than that - they are plentiful on the course.

Above the bottom bracket is a modified Torhans VR bottle with the flat kit in it. Nothing was ever made for that area that I could find, unfortunately!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Long Distance Set Up for New Cervelo P3 [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first triathlon I ever signed up for was Ironman CDA in 2006. Did a sprint and two halfs leading up to it. Did decent in my first IM and thought I could improve so kept at it. Went back to CDA in 2007 and missed Kona by about 10 slots if I recall correctly. Decided to go for sub 10 so I picked a flatter course and went to IMAZ in 2008 in what I think was their last ever April race. It was so damn hot and I did 10:05 in what was a really hot day with a 20 to 25% DNF rate. Qualified for Kona but had to leave the evening of the race to start a new job. I left my dad with a hand written note, a personal check and my passport to claim my spot. He was told I had to be there in person to accept the spot so after chasing Kona for 3 years and getting denied my spot (a roll down by 1 or 2 I think) I decided to dial it back.

I never really quit - I continued to do smaller, local races. Wildflower, Tinley's MTB triathlon, SB triathlon, etc...What I found when I did these races is how mellow the scene is there and people aren't so jacked up and hyper sensitives about their transitions spots, etc...I just found that at the IM's and Half IM's people were wound super tight and it wasn't fun anymore - hell I probably got caught up in it to with the goals I was chasing but I regained perspective.

I did Tahoe the first IM Tahoe when it snowed the day before. Had a really crappy race despite not having high expectations. I think it was the altitude, the course difficulty and this was the first time I ever trained without a coach.

So I guess I burned out because qualifying for Kona consumed me and when I got really fit and had a goal and race in mind I stopped MTBing, skiing, surfing, etc. because I was worried about getting hurt. But those are the things I really enjoyed. So now I have found balance and learned to keep it all in perspective - it's just exercise and with that in mind I don't burn out anymore, but I am also a hell of a lot fatter, slower and happier!
Quote Reply
Re: Long Distance Set Up for New Cervelo P3 [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your photo isn't showing up. That is a bummer nothing was ever made! Maybe I can modify something. But my old set up worked just fine so maybe I will just go with that. Weird that it is such a popular bike yet nobody made something for a spot that obviously called for it. Doh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rinconryder wrote:

I never really quit - I continued to do smaller, local races. Wildflower, Tinley's MTB triathlon, SB triathlon, etc...What I found when I did these races is how mellow the scene is there and people aren't so jacked up and hyper sensitives about their transitions spots, etc...I just found that at the IM's and Half IM's people were wound super tight and it wasn't fun anymore - hell I probably got caught up in it to with the goals I was chasing but I regained perspective.

Cool thanks for that :) I'm still really enjoying the sport and don't feel I'm burning out, but have seen a lot of friends fall by the wayside recently, so need to be careful. I try and mix up my races and do some random less popular events that are really fun. Like you said mellow. People are relaxed, TOs are relaxed and you don't feel stressed and uptight. Those races are important for me, it reminds me why I'm doing this sport. I'm standing on the beach looking out to crystal clear waters laughing and joking with my fellow competitors 30s before the start whereas IM start I'm trying hard not to cry and not to shit in my wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a "new" P3. The Profile design Aero HC is quite good, but the original mount doesn't fit between the Aura Pro extensions which are very narrow. I used zip tie to mount the bottle cage between the extensions. The computer mount is also stupid as there's no way in hell you can see it while you're in the bars, however I've seen some people reverse the whole thing. I swapped the Aero HC for a Torpedo Versa 200 which is great :-)

I used the PD Aqua Rack behind the seat, lost bottle(s) on close to every ride. Later swapped it with the Xlab mini wing system and replaced the cages with gorilla cage - still managed to launch a bottle on my first HIM.. With the adamo prologue saddle I managed to squeeze the xlab mini bag with 2x co2, 1x tube and 2x tire levers between the two gorilla cages.. Very nice & compact setup.
Last edited by: hhetland: Oct 11, 17 1:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On mine I have XLab bento box on the top bar. A Pro Aerofuel BTA mount and Pro Aerofuel saddle mount with two cages. The saddle mount has a couple of long straps and I am able to attach a can of pitstop, multi tool and 2 co2s.

I did consider some of the refillable bta type things but in the end I thought its probably easier to just chuck and replace a standard bidon.

For behind the saddle people seemed to recommend gorrila cages. I used cheap ones and now I have fewer bottles than I did before :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Long Distance Set Up for New Cervelo P3 [iwaters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always found Specialized Rib-Cages grip bottles well enough that there's no need to spend silly money on Gorilla cages. I've never lost a bottle that I can remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Distance Set Up for New Cervelo P3 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I've always found Specialized Rib-Cages grip bottles well enough that there's no need to spend silly money on Gorilla cages. I've never lost a bottle that I can remember.

I've found the same.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Long Distance Set Up for New Cervelo P3 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I will try those. I have Elite Race Custom at the minute. They are ok full but when empty seem to eject. The BTA bottle slides out if I am descending on the bull horns so might swap that too. There was no way I was spending £50 a pop on the gorilla cages
Quote Reply