Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

inspirational IM stories
Quote | Reply
So I'm currently 'on submission' with my current manuscript, and the best way to suppress the anxiety is to start the next writing project.

My current project is to write a book that compiles several (~15-20) inspirational stories from individuals who have overcome some kind of significant obstacle to complete a full IM. The aim of the book is to serve as a source for individuals who have a dream/goal of completing a full IM and who can look to the stories in this book for inspiration.

Yes, NBC typically highlights several people at Kona who have overcome significant difficulties. But I want this book to be more in depth for each individual as well as spanning a wide range of obstacles (e.g. medical, financial, marital, etc). The intent is to outline how people had an obstacle but were still able to achieve their goal of completing a full IM.

The plan is to have interested people fill out a short form outlining their story, and then I would 'hollywood' each story up before sending back to you for approval. Then after all stories are compiled along with an introductory chapter outlining and reviewing the IM I would submit for publication (which is ultimately up to the individual agent or publisher, depending on which route I go).

There's still a lot of prep work including working with the IM front office in order to use their logo, story, etc. But I'd like to lay out some ground work to see if this is feasible. If you think you have an inspirational story that leads up to you completing your FIRST full IM, please PM me a 3-4 sentence description. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: inspirational IM stories [MKATC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You want inspiration?...Google "Ron Ottaway Triathlon"

He's too humble to ever send you something.

FYI...If you're only going to use stories of folks that contact you, you're going to miss a whole bunch of really deserving folks. Most folks that are really "inspirational" don't give a hoot about appearing in a book or article...

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Last edited by: stringcheese: Oct 6, 17 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: inspirational IM stories [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
FYI...If you're only going to use stories of folks that contact you, you're going to miss a whole bunch of really deserving folks. Most folks that are really "inspirational" don't give a hoot about appearing in a book or article...

I'm not looking for the "top 20 most inspirational Ironman competitors ever", just a group of individuals that have a story to tell. If someone doesn't want to discuss the obstacles they faced on their way, that's fine. There are books on this topic out there, but most of those are just single stories. I think there's a market for a book highlighting several diverse stories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try John Young from Salem, Mass. He's doing IMMD this weekend and completed the shortened IMMD last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watch the Hawaii Ironman coverage from every year going back to inception.
Quote Reply
Re: inspirational IM stories [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to repeat what the Ironman has already put out there. I'm looking for the untold stories from those who didn't receive a call from the Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered calling CAF in San Diego (Challenged Athletes Foundation)? Maybe they could offer some names...
Quote Reply