Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction
Quote | Reply
Enjoy :)

Quote Reply
Re: Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love watching him ride. Funny guy and tons of talent. I lost it and started laughing out loud when he rode down the stairs without a tire.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go science! Some materials engineer should be proud of that accomplishment!
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very impressed with how they held up after visible cracks appeared
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I walked up those very steps a few weeks ago. A son is studying in Glasgow and has seen Dan filming around town.

PS The wheel did alright. Do wheels need to be that strong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was expecting a crack with first attempt, rims held up nicely
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For someone like me i don't need such strong wheels. I do some mountain biking and a few jumps but for younger people jacking off 2m ledges it must be nice to know that your wheels will hold up to pretty much anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not built any alloy rims lately as carbon is all the go.
But I built up an alloy one this morning and it is amazing how shite the alloy is to build with after carbon.
You can feel the carbon hold the tension so much better and you don't have to deal with a rim joint.
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s because the good classic rims like the Nemesis and GP4 are rare these days. Best alloy rims ever. For cycling that is.
Last edited by: mike s: Oct 6, 17 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh, I think the sales pitch for your use case would be that it's not the stuff you expect to encounter during your ride but rather the unexpected stuff. I'm by no means an extreme MTBer but I just assume that any part of the bike is fair play for contact with a foreign object, none of which is intentional.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
but rather the unexpected stuff.

Exactly. Today I hopped up a 12-18" ledge and my rear wheel hit the the square edge straight on. I'm glad I have a wheel setup that accounts for my less than graceful moments.
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
That’s because the good classic rims like the Nemesis and GP4 are rare these days. Best alloy rims ever. For cycling that is.

Yes the puckering of the sidewall at every spoke hole was a great feature, as was the anodised brake track that only started working when the pretty coating wore off and you filed the rim joint to stop the thud thud thud under braking.
They were so good that you had to have 32 spoke just to survive the ride.
Great things these old wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Video: Danny MacAskill Tests Carbon Rims to Destruction [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re the first person I’ve ever know to complain about those rims. To each his own.
Quote Reply