Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Full Ultegra 10 or PC's
Quote | Reply
which is more bang for my buck? i am looking at what i am going to get myself for xmas. i currently have ultegra nine mixed with an ISIS FSA Engery crank and 105 brakes. I am thinking about upgrading the entire setup to full ultegra 10. or should i keep what i have and get a set of PC's. if i keep what i have i was thinking about upgrading the crank and BB to ultegra 10 so i can get a octalink set of PC's instead of ISIS.
If i do upgrade everything is there a difference between the 9 FD and the 10? is it worth the upgrade?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Full Ultegra 10 or PC's [jonny dough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy decision. I'll bet you a box of donuts you ride EXACTLY the same gears next year whether you ride Ultegra 10 or your current setup...UNLESS you do something different in training...that's why you should choose the PCs, given the two options you give us. I don't know which side of the PC argument I'd land on...but I know that changing out a perfectly functional group is going to net you just about zero performance gain. Take Frank's 90 day guarantee and see if the PCs help. If not, send them back and get a PowerTap system. I CAN guarantee you that the PT will help you improve, if you learn how to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Full Ultegra 10 or PC's [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i already have the polar power system, what would a PT give me that the PP doesn't?

ok new option into the equation, a rotor crank.

Do rotor cranks just mask the zero zone, where PC's teach you to correctly spin to avoid having it?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll sell you some gently-used adjustable pcs for $350...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i already have the polar power system, what would a PT give me that the PP doesn't?
Accuracy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our cranks are exactly the same whether the customer has 9 or 10, Campy, Shimano, or Isis. The only real difference is the thickness of the chain rings, and you supply those. There may be some mild line differences but they are easily accounted for in the derailleur adjustments.

The $350 for an adjustable crank set (assuming it is in working order, sometimes lightly used systems have flaws exposed when they become heavily used) seems like too good a bargain to pass up since they have been going for over $600 on ebay. That is better than my money back guarantee since you can almost certainly sell them for more than you bought them for in case you don't like them.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Full Ultegra 10 or PC's [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank,

If i accept his offer and something goes wrong can i send them back to you and have them repaired for a fee? I assume any warranty is only good for the original purchaser.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the ~$800 budget the PC's implied, if I were you I'd go half-function, half-fun. Treat yourself to something useful, and something for the hell of it.

Go for the $350 PCs, and some zero gravity brakes. That should cover nearly your whole budget, and will upgrade those unsightly 105 parts with some top of the line goodies. Plus you should roll better next season.
Quote Reply
Re: Full Ultegra 10 or PC's [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah the 350 is sounding good. i need to look at a wetsuit, that extra $$ will cover an orca apex nicely.

Quote Reply
Re: Full Ultegra 10 or PC's [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,

You know, it never occurred to me that for all your gear, you have never tried PCs. Even for 90 days. Maybe if you sold one or two of your seven wheelsets, you could give them a try. Then again, why am I asking this? I'm trying to beat you next year, not give you advice to go faster. :)

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Full Ultegra 10 or PC's [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Yaqui DE frame is higher on my list than PCs. That may seem slightly askew after my advice above but it isn't. I'm pretty much maxed out at 77.25 deg on my Talon SL...I could get further forward, but the handling would suck...so a steep bike is in order...then maybe PCs...AFTER I pay for all the races next year...this racing stuff is really getting steep...according to my spreadsheet...I'm nearing $2000 just for fees at planned or potential races...and then there is the travel expense...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading countless posts on PC and Rotor's I think that you should go with one of these options. I agree that new Ult. 10 will not help your race times, but it seems that most people riding and training with PC or Rotors have found that they are faster after using them.

I certainly like flashy stuff, but it seems that you could show people you spent a G in the off season on nicer bike parts or prove it by laying the smack down in your first race next season!

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could downgrade to "Tiagra 8 speed" and I bet you won't go any slower. Tiagra is better than the components that Dave Scott was using in the 80's to go sub 8:20

Get the PC's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Frank,

If i accept his offer and something goes wrong can i send them back to you and have them repaired for a fee? I assume any warranty is only good for the original purchaser.[/reply]

Yes and yes.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply