Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

KT tape in IM swim
Quote | Reply
My question is whether or not I can wear KT tape on my calf in a non wetsuit IM swim. I have a race coming up and I strained my calf and was planning on wearing KT tape for the bike and run but would prefer to have it on already as opposed to applying it in T1. I know compression sleeves need to be put on after the swim but I didn't see anything about KT tape in the athlete guide. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: KT tape in IM swim [peteV262] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you can wear it. I've done it several times. You want it on before the swim or you'll never get it to stick well in T1 when your leg is wet.
Quote Reply
Re: KT tape in IM swim [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Thanks. Hopefully it helps me get though the race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can also purchase a can of the skin spray adhesive. it helps too

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peteV262 wrote:

I'm assuming you'll be using 2 pieces in a V shape, per the KT tape video. If so, you may want to run a strip horizontally on the bottom and top of the V. I find the top and bottom of the strips start to peel up after a while. Especially if you've been swimming first. The horizontal strips should hold the other pieces in place a bit longer. I'd get Pro or Extreme version. I've only used the Pro and it works well. The Extreme is supposed to stick even longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll take any tips I can get. I have been running with compression socks for years and that is usually enough to keep me injury free or at least help heel up faster. I strained my calf a week and a half ago and I have an IM next weekend. I took 10 days completely off from running and attempted a 4 mile run this morning. I felt no pain until 3.5 miles in. I stopped and massaged it for a few minutes, ran another minute or so and decided to just end the run. My wife picked up some KT tape for me to try and I'm trying to learn as much as possible about it from their website. Normally I would just skip the race or pick another one but after 7 attempts I got my first KQ this year so I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best. Thanks again for any tips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rock Tape. In my experience rock tape adheres much better than kt tape. If you use rock tape youll even have a hard time taking it off when you want to.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rock Tape has an H20 version of their product. Made specifically to wear during water sports. I've used it on myself and athletes for years and stays on without a problem. Have found it to work better than KT in regards to maintenance of application.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you can wear it....I find rock tape h2o sticks better than kt......good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pete,

Use KT Tape Extreme and apply to clean, dry skin the day before. The key is for your skin to be clean and dry (and hairless)...no lotions, sunscreen, etc. Once it's on gently rub the tape to get the adhesive to better adhere to your skin. Extreme is made specifically for use in the water and if it's applied correctly, it should hold for the entire race. One thing I would try to avoid is applying sunscreen or lotion directly to the tape, try to apply around the tape.

I have a lot of experience with KT Tape, so if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peteV262 wrote:

I had it on my shoulder for 3 days which included showers and 2 x squad swims
Quote Reply
Re: KT tape in IM swim [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure KT Tape will have a booth at the race expo. Go by and see them. They can properly apply the tape to make sure it sticks and helps your injury.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just took off the Rock Tape my acupuncture guy put on me a week ago. No peeling or anything. Swim, bike, etc. It ran from under my heel, up my calf and hamstring, across my back and up to a shoulder blade. I don't even care if it's just a placebo. Good stuff.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply