Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

650c Race Wheels
Quote | Reply
If I wanted 650c race wheels but I didn't want to be as spendy as Zipp or Enve, where should I be looking? I like the HED Jets, and they seem to be the best bang for the buck. Is there a hidden gem of the short people world that I'm missing out on?
Quote Reply
Re: 650c Race Wheels [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vision makes trispokes that have AL brake tracks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
I like the HED Jets, and they seem to be the best bang for the buck.

HED Jet 6 C2 are fast (just slightly slower than ENVE), and you can get them at 30% off: https://www.mybikeshop.com/...eels?constraint=650c
Last edited by: RichardL: Sep 18, 17 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: 650c Race Wheels [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - you made me go and hunt for the code for the express purpose of not looking like a dumbass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive got a HED 650 D. Front. Probably not what you're after, but you would get a real steal. never used
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post a WTB in the classifieds. I've bought 3 sets of 650 wheels that way. (Hint use a subject line like WTB 650c wheels). There will be lots of tubulars so if you'd prefer not to go that way specify clincher too.

My wife evolved from 650 Zipp 303s to Hed tri-spokes and is now on the Hed Jets. Despite the literature saying they are stable in the wind, it took her a while to get used to them. The minor pain with the Jets is the carbon fairing isn't structural and is a little fragile, so you can't hang the bike by the wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: 650c Race Wheels [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bx3 wrote:
Post a WTB in the classifieds. I've bought 3 sets of 650 wheels that way. (Hint use a subject line like WTB 650c wheels). There will be lots of tubulars so if you'd prefer not to go that way specify clincher too.

My wife evolved from 650 Zipp 303s to Hed tri-spokes and is now on the Hed Jets. Despite the literature saying they are stable in the wind, it took her a while to get used to them. The minor pain with the Jets is the carbon fairing isn't structural and is a little fragile, so you can't hang the bike by the wheel.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Yeah, maybe someone will want to get rid of their old 10-speed 650s for a decent price. I mull on this periodically and try to justify spending the money, but obviously I haven't quite gotten there yet. Since this is not going to make the difference between me hitting the podium or not, it's not exactly a "necessary expenditure".

I don't need to hang the bike so that's not an issue with the HEDs, and I think the advantage I may have (at least in that sense) over your wife is that although I may be short, I am not light. I'm quite firmly planted on the road. Thus, weight is also not a huge consideration - it would be more effective for me to drop, ahem, 50 or so pounds than to worry about the extra hundred grams on my wheelset.

Anyone have any luck with Race Day Wheels' end of season sales? I presume that their rental wheels are well maintained and in good to excellent used condition. That would drop the cost of a set of 404s into the realm of almost worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Zipp disc, 10 speed. I purchased it in 2013. It was new then but a few model years old. It is tubular. It has a professionally glued Continental Sprinter. It is in fantastic shape. It has not been used in at least 2 years. I will include Shimano cassette. $325 firm + shipping. I also have an older Hed 80mm front with professionally glued Panasonic tire. There is some run out and should be trued. $100 firm + shipping. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 front Zipp 404 tubular wheel in like-new condition to go with Rocking Rob's rear disc. No tire. It's my spare, so it doesn't get used. $200 firm + shipping via FedEx ground. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 650c Race Wheels [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. I'd rather stick with clinchers.

(And I feel like I'd look particularly silly with my disc going whomp whomp whomp at a whompalicious 13mph.....)
Quote Reply