Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars?
Quote | Reply
/pink

but seriously, I think that's pretty awesome. I enjoyed how in that recent interview (South East Asia?) he said he does most of his rides on the trainer in erg mode with one ride outdoors each week.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Sep 18, 17 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outside in ERG mode?
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edit! thanks

though, Tim Reed does use that front hub braking system that lets the rider set a pre-set amount of resistance. I actually like that idea for riding with people slower and for roads where I just don't want to go too fast because of traffic and poor road conditions, or for those people who ride on multi-purpose bike paths.

Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha...I legit thought there was some fancy new crank or something that would force wattage even outside.

...sigh...it's early here
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would putting (ie) bricks under my front tire achieve same effect or does Kicker rock with momentum? Asking for a friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
edit! thanks

though, Tim Reed does use that front hub braking system that lets the rider set a pre-set amount of resistance. I actually like that idea for riding with people slower and for roads where I just don't want to go too fast because of traffic and poor road conditions, or for those people who ride on multi-purpose bike paths.

Never heard of the front hub braking system. I have always preferred just to use a bike that is woefully inadequate to the task at hand but curious on this hub system.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is the one being alluded to: http://terraindynamics.com.au/airhub

Apparently very cool and easy to use, but also very expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
found it: http://terraindynamics.com.au/airhub

that power mode is pretty attractive. I live in an area with rolling hills so hitting a desired TSS in a limited amount of time is made more difficult. The "power mode" could definitely help with maximizing training in a limited amount of time:

Last edited by: milesthedog: Sep 18, 17 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the real question is, could I tag along with people and 'look' like an easy-going, do-anything kind of athlete when I'm actually knocking out precise intervals and hitting an exact TSS for the ride...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a recreational bike trail not far from me that's actually pretty long and car free (the West Orange Trail). However, it's not really suited to a TT bike. A "safe" speed would be about 15-18mph. I've thought about investing in one of the Terrain Dynamics wheels so I can ride my TT bike in a TT position on that trail.
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
There's a recreational bike trail not far from me that's actually pretty long and car free (the West Orange Trail). However, it's not really suited to a TT bike. A "safe" speed would be about 15-18mph. I've thought about investing in one of the Terrain Dynamics wheels so I can ride my TT bike in a TT position on that trail.

Alternatively, replicate your TT position onto a beat up old MTB with knobbly tires.
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried this with my F-Si. I can't replicate my position without a really crazy (and possibly unsafe) stem :/
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I've tried this with my F-Si. I can't replicate my position without a really crazy (and possibly unsafe) stem :/

You don't really need to replicate the position. Just replicate the hip angle. You can do that on fat bike with clip on bars too. The only transition to going to your real TT bike is some extra weight on your shoulders/neck. Otherwise, same hip angle, and same saddle height (or close) covers most of what you need.
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same hip angle or same saddle height? 165s on my TT and 175s on my F-Si. I would think hip angle would be more important.
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
I think this is the one being alluded to: http://terraindynamics.com.au/airhub

Apparently very cool and easy to use, but also very expensive.

I've got one. Very cool toy, can't recommend it enough. Especially if you're sick of the erg and don't have climbs nearby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Same hip angle or same saddle height? 165s on my TT and 175s on my F-Si. I would think hip angle would be more important.

Same hip angle is most important. Close to same saddle height is next. How upright the aero position on a fat bike or mountain bike is almost irrelevant other than when transfer to real TT bike the entire position rotates forward, meaning a bit more weight on the upper body and marginally different muscle recruitment in terms of how the weight of your leg interacts with gravity on the power phase and recovery phase, but that's all miniscule compared to hip angle and saddle height.

I have a spin bike in my basement with saddle nose 3 inches behind BB and bars 2 inches higher than saddle, but hip angle is actually more closed than my TT bike....no issues going from that to the TT bike. I believe it was Rapp who had his road bike saddle position slammed so far back that when he was in the hoods it was same hip angle as TT bike and the drops was more closed, and then going to TT bike was a breeze. The upshot was that riding the road bike with the butt so far over rear wheel, it's super stable and safe in traffic etc etc while getting almost all the adaption needed to go to TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [n_bens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question: does any large quantity of heat come off the front hub?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
/pink

but seriously, I think that's pretty awesome. I enjoyed how in that recent interview (South East Asia?) he said he does most of his rides on the trainer in erg mode with one ride outdoors each week.

Anybody else notice that the bike is far from level?

Ok. he does a climb, but does the front contraption actually raise the front end when you climb?

I'd buy that roller coaster!
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other picture posted you could see he was using trainerroad with the wahoo. So guess i just keep my subscription and soon will win in Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
There's There was a recreational bike trail not far from me that's actually pretty long and car free (the West Orange Trail). However, it's not really suited to a TT bike. A "safe" speed would be about 15-18mph. I've thought about investing in one of the Terrain Dynamics wheels so I can ride my TT bike in a TT position on that trail.

Fixed that for you. Thanks Irma.

Have you tired the Van Fleet Trail? It's further, but supposed to be better for TT type riding

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Anybody else notice that the bike is far from level?

Ok. he does a climb, but does the front contraption actually raise the front end when you climb?

I'd buy that roller coaster!

http://www.wahoofitness.com/...door-grade-simulator

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
There's There was a recreational bike trail not far from me that's actually pretty long and car free (the West Orange Trail). However, it's not really suited to a TT bike. A "safe" speed would be about 15-18mph. I've thought about investing in one of the Terrain Dynamics wheels so I can ride my TT bike in a TT position on that trail.

Fixed that for you. Thanks Irma.

Have you tired the Van Fleet Trail? It's further, but supposed to be better for TT type riding

Sheesh I haven't gone out that way in a few months (I train indoors during the summer). Is the damage that bad?

I've gone to the Van Fleet Trail once and it is really good for TT type riding but it's a 45-minute drive for me each way and there's nothing else around there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

18 years ago when I lived down the street from the West Orange Trail in Montverde, I found there to be way too many roller blade users taking up way too much of the trail with their gliding motion side to side to be able to safely ride at any speed. The kids were pretty unpredictable too. When people asked me of I rode on the West Orange Trail, I'd reply "no I ride in the streets where it is safer".
Quote Reply
Re: How much better with Frodeno be if he rode his Kickr in the aerobars? [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what you're talking about. If you're out there at 7:00am on a Saturday though and ride west toward lake mineola (which is technically a different trail) you pretty much have the trail to yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen that section of trail in recent years when I have visited Central Florida, but it did not exist when I lived there. The hills heading to Clermont probably thins the masses out a bit.
Quote Reply